Windows 10: license and product key on multiple computers...sort of

Discus and support license and product key on multiple computers...sort of in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; here is the scenario. I have old desktops not in use and without operating systems and no hard drives. in two different locations. With the cost of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RonaldEspiritu, May 17, 2019.

1. license and product key on multiple computers...sort of

here is the scenario. I have old desktops not in use and without operating systems and no hard drives. in two different locations. With the cost of SSD Drives being pretty inexpensive, lets say i have a 2TB SATA SSD with licensed and activated version of windows 10. Using the SATA Cable from the MoBo Can i connect that "portable" drive with windows 10 installed to a different computer fire it up without need for a separate license for each computer. At no time would the one copy be running on two systems at the same time. I have done it and it does work pretty flawlessly. just wanted to know if this would eventually cause something to happen to this licensed copy of windows 10.

i am just wondering if licensing does address this. I have one extra copy of windows 10 with an unused activation key. was just wondering if it could be physically switched between the 2 desktops multiple times as i outlined above.

:)

RonaldEspiritu, May 17, 2019
  2. Naresh_K Win User

Transfer Windows 10 license to another computer.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Please note that one license key is valid only for one hardware. However you can try the steps mentioned below to check if that helps. Make sure that you have the 25-alpha numeric product key (Retail version). Here are some steps that you can follow:

Step 1: Uninstall the key from your Mac (Bootcamp). To uninstall the license key, follow the steps mentioned bellow:

1. Open command prompt (search CMD on start menu) and run it as administrator.
    2. Then type: slmgr /upk
    3. The following command will uninstall the product key from your Bootcamp partition.

Step 2: Install the product key on new Computer.

1. Open Run (Windows Key + R) and then type: SLUI 3
    2. You will be prompted to enter the product key.
    3. Please type the product key and try to activate it.

Step 3: If step 2 does not work, then you will need to install the product key manually and perform phone activation.

1. Open Command prompt once again and run it administrator.
    2. Then type: slmgr /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Note: replace XXXXX with the product key.
    3. Once you receive a confirmation prompt that the product key has been installed.
    4. Close the Command prompt Window.
    5. Now open Run (Windows Key + R) and type SLUI 4.
    6. Then choose your country and click on Next and follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, May 17, 2019
  3. Convert a Windows 8pro product key to a Windows 10pro produkt key

Hi Andre,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to Uninstall the license using the following steps.

• Press Windows key + X
    • Click Command Prompt (Admin)
    • At the command prompt, type: slmgr.vbs -upk
    • Press Enter, this will uninstall the product key from the computer.
    Further on, install Windows 8.1 activate the copy with the product key on the new machine. Then again upgrade the same to Windows 10 using Window Update or Media Creation Tool.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 17, 2019
  4. license and product key on multiple computers...sort of

Same Product Key for Multiple Devices

I have four computers that were eligible for the Windows 10 upgrade. Three of the computers were eligible for Windows 10 Pro while one was eligible for Windows 10 Home. Upon checking the product keys on the three machines upgraded to Windows 10 Pro,
    the product key was the same for all three computers. What gives? Is there a multiple device license for the operating system and if so, what is the maximum number of devices that can have the same product key?

Albert A. Toltec, May 17, 2019
Thema:

license and product key on multiple computers...sort of

1. license and product key on multiple computers...sort of - Similar Threads - license product key

2. Wheres the License or Product Key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Wheres the License or Product Key: I recently got an older computer from school that needed windows to be installed again. I found that you can turn windows into an installation media to download it onto a different computer/laptop from the Microsoft website. I did that downloaded onto the older computer, It...
  3. Wheres the License or Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wheres the License or Product Key: I recently got an older computer from school that needed windows to be installed again. I found that you can turn windows into an installation media to download it onto a different computer/laptop from the Microsoft website. I did that downloaded onto the older computer, It...
  4. Wheres the License or Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Single Product Key, Multiple Computer

Single Product Key, Multiple Computer: I have bought a laptop that comes with windows 10 home activated and is thinking to build a desktop for my son for basic school work. Can I link my Microsoft account with my laptop and use the same activation on the desktop? Or will Microsoft deactivate my laptop once I use...
  6. Product key? Or, digital license?

Product key? Or, digital license?: Dell Inspiron 3647. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Pro free upgrade. No tech will be attempting a hard drive change. For reinstalling, I keep reading a 25 character product key. I have 20. It does specify Windows 10 is activated with a digital license. I know once I...
  7. Product key for multiple user

Product key for multiple user: Hello, I would like to know if my windows 10 pro product key is for multiple user. Thanks a lot. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-for-multiple-user/093d17f0-2a89-46b9-a2d0-5d9fc779c925
  8. Multiple Product Keys

Multiple Product Keys: So I have two product keys for windows 10 and I would like to find out which one is linked to my current computer so I don't use the same copy of windows 10 on a different computer, I have forget which one linked to this PC and was wondering if I can find it the copy of...
  9. Licensing and product key

Licensing and product key: Hey i have a question, if i download and install the windows 10 may 2019 update and install it, do i need a product key to continue the update process? My current windows version is Windows 10 Pro 1709....
  10. Computer could not be activated with a Volume license Product Key 0xC004F035

in Windows 10 News
    Computer could not be activated with a Volume license Product Key 0xC004F035: [ATTACH] While a Volume Licence makes sure the Enterprise can get Windows Keys for cheap, it also makes sure that those keys are not misused. If you are receiving an Activation Error code 0xC004F035, then its because the computer is being activated [...] This post Computer...