Windows 10: License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder

Discus and support License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, I am a software developer. We are developing a PC application that can be used to decode H.264 video from legal video source providers. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Joe Jheng, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Joe Jheng Win User

License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder

Hi,

I am a software developer. We are developing a PC application that can be used to decode H.264 video from legal video source providers. The technology we currently utilized is Microsoft Media Foundation, specifically the Media Foundation H.264 video decoder.

I'd like to ask whether the H.264 decoder license fee is covered by Microsoft in this case, and can be used legally. As I checked the License Terms of Windows 10:

H.264/AVC and MPEG-4 visual standards and VC-1 video standards. The software may include H.264/MPEG-4 AVC and/or VC-1 decoding technology. MPEG LA, L.L.C. requires this notice:

THIS PRODUCT IS LICENSED UNDER THE AVC, THE VC-1, AND THE MPEG-4 PART 2 VISUAL PATENT PORTFOLIO LICENSES FOR THE PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE OF A CONSUMER TO (i) ENCODE VIDEO IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE ABOVE STANDARDS (“VIDEO STANDARDS”) AND/OR (ii) DECODE AVC, VC-1, AND MPEG-4 PART 2 VIDEO THAT WAS ENCODED BY A CONSUMER ENGAGED IN A PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY AND/OR WAS OBTAINED FROM A VIDEO PROVIDER LICENSED TO PROVIDE SUCH VIDEO. NO LICENSE IS GRANTED OR SHALL BE IMPLIED FOR ANY OTHER USE. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION MAY BE OBTAINED FROM MPEG LA, L.L.C. SEE (AKA.MS/MPEGLA).

We as a software developer using Microsoft Media Foundation do not need to pay the license fee for the H.264 decoder. We can legally distribute it to Windows end users, and end users can legally use our application for personal and non-commercial use.

Is it correct? Any legal concern using Media Foundation H.264 decoder?

Thank you.

:)

Joe Jheng, Nov 18, 2018

2. Windows 10 and H.264

Does Windows 10 support H.264 video codes? Or in other words, do the Apps for Windows 10 use H.264 to encode and decode video? What profile level?

CaitlinHeaton, Nov 18, 2018
  3. omron1977 Win User
    H.264 video, max settings?

Hi I have been playing around with H.264 encoding (using SUPER or PS3 Video 9) and the results are good. Except I have the feeling that if I take the resolution of the target video too big real player won't play the file.

My question is: what are the maximum settings for resolution and bitrate for H.264 encoded video's for the N95 (8gb)?

omron1977, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Darksaber Win User

NIVIDIA Forceware beta drivers 84.12 with H.264 decoding support

NVIDIA Forceware beta drivers 84.12 with H.264 decoding support

NVIDIA has released a Beta Driver that support H.264 decoding and the following additions:

• Adds support for GeForce 7300 GS and GeForce 7300 LE GPUs.
    • New NVIDIA PureVideo features and enhancements. Please visit the NVIDIA PureVideo website for more information on PureVideo technology and system requirements.
    • Support for high definition H.264 hardware decode acceleration on GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs.
    • Support for high definition MPEG-2 inverse telecine.
    • Support for high definition MPEG-2 spatial temporal de-interlacing.
    • Adds mixed vendor support for NVIDIA SLI. TV-Out/HD-out support for NVIDIA SLI.
    • Added support for VSync on Direct3D games when running NVIDIA SLI.
    • Microsoft DirectX 9.0c and OpenGL 2.0 support
    Download: techPowerUp! Mirror (US & EU)

Source: nZone

Darksaber, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

1. License for using Media Foundation H.264 video decoder - Similar Threads - License using Media

2. WIndows media foundation required

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WIndows media foundation required: I am running Windows 10 Home edition on my Lenovo Laptop. It is not version N or KN, just regular Windows 10 Home. Every time I boot I get this popup below. There does not seem like there is a way to fix this on a non-N machine. Please help....
  3. WIndows media foundation required

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WIndows media foundation required: I am running Windows 10 Home edition on my Lenovo Laptop. It is not version N or KN, just regular Windows 10 Home. Every time I boot I get this popup below. There does not seem like there is a way to fix this on a non-N machine. Please help....
  4. h.264 converter to mp4

in Windows 10 Customization
    h.264 converter to mp4: I have a Lenovo with windows 10 pro. I have always had to convert my output files from the cctv cameras to mp4 via an avi converter. I can't find any program that microsoft likes to accomplish my tasks. how can I get the non microsoft programs to default...
  5. H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about

in Windows 10 News
    H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about: [ATTACH]The most popular video codec right now is the H.264 standard since almost all […] This article H.264 vs H.265 vs H.266: We explain what they are all about first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read more...
  6. error decoding media

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    error decoding media: error decoding video https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-decoding-media/e758d3b0-e93e-4e01-b2e3-eafb94bc4886
  7. H.264 stand alone DVR

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    H.264 stand alone DVR: I cannot view my home security system (h.264) in microsoft edge i have set all my ports forwarding in my router and they are open and my router is not blocking those Any suggestions Charlie...
  8. How to make video call after enabling H.264/AVC support inEDGE browser

in Browsers and Email
    How to make video call after enabling H.264/AVC support inEDGE browser: Hi, I have enabled "Enable experimental H.264/AVC support" in EDGE browser through about:flags option and restarted the browser. But now how can i make one to one call using this feature, since it will support plug-in free skype calling. I'm using EDGE browser version...
  9. Free H.265 to H.264 Converters?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Free H.265 to H.264 Converters?: HEVC isn't supported on my WDTV Live. 33853
  10. Previewing H.264/AVC support for ORTC

in Windows 10 News
    Previewing H.264/AVC support for ORTC: Today we’re excited to announce preliminary support for H.264/AVC support in the real-time communications (RTC) stack in Microsoft Edge, as initially promised in our April roadmap update. You can preview this feature in Windows Insider Preview builds starting with EdgeHTML...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. media foundation encode license

2. windows media foundation h.264 stored

3. media foundation reader does not decode

4. license of using H.264 video