Windows 10: license for virtual machine

Discus and support license for virtual machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a laptop with windows 10 pro installed/licensedI want to test some setups with docker, but do not want to break my private install/setup as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by przytula, Apr 27, 2021.

1. przytula Win User

license for virtual machine

I have a laptop with windows 10 pro installed/licensedI want to test some setups with docker, but do not want to break my private install/setup as I also use vmware and this is not compatible with dockerI downloaded the windows evaluation version virtual machine for vmware from MScreated a VM and run this image, that has no licenseCan I continue running this VM without license ? this is only for testing purpose and will not be used for real operations. only for testing install procedures, running containers...Can I apply my private license from laptop windows to this VM ?thanks for

:)

przytula, Apr 27, 2021
  2. Robert_os Win User

Move windows 10 pro license from virtual machine to physical machine.

I need to move a windows 10 pro license from a virtual machine to a physical machine. The license has been bought as windows 10 pro not upgrade etc. The thing is that the computer (Mac book pro) where the virtual machine used to live is now dead beyond
    repair and to expensive to use. So I want to install windows 10 on a dell laptop now but I cant deactivate the old license on the virtual machine. Any suggestions?

Robert_os, Apr 27, 2021
  3. Wil Pan Win User
    License For A Virtual Machine

Hi AshMiller900,

This is Wil, one of the independent advisor and an expert with Windows 10.

I understand your concern with License for Virtual Machine.

Windows 10 doesn't really have a dedicated type of product key for virtual machines.

If you want you can signup for Microsft Azure so you can create Linux or Windows VMs.

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/free/virtual-...

I hope my suggestions help you. If you need further assistance please do reply back and I will respond as quickly as possible. Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Wilfred P.

Independent Advisor

Wil Pan, Apr 27, 2021
  4. license for virtual machine

Licensing for a virtual machine

Nope. A virtual machine is similar to a new computer. New computer=new license.

Sumit (Independent Advisor), Apr 27, 2021
Thema:

license for virtual machine

1. license for virtual machine - Similar Threads - license virtual machine

2. Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing: Hello,I contact becouse I have a doubt regarding a licensing scenario with Windows Server:Cluster with High Availability and without DRS rules-> 8 physical hosts of 36 cores each and 46 Windows Server Standard virtual machines of 8 virtual cores each:Option 1: Licensing of...
  3. Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Server Virtual Machine Licensing: Hello,I contact becouse I have a doubt regarding a licensing scenario with Windows Server:Cluster with High Availability and without DRS rules-> 8 physical hosts of 36 cores each and 46 Windows Server Standard virtual machines of 8 virtual cores each:Option 1: Licensing of...
  4. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  5. OEM licensing for virtual machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM licensing for virtual machine: I purchased a laptop with Windows 11 Home, with OEM digital license in the BIOS. I would like to replace Windows with Ubuntu Linux, then run Windows 11 in a VirtualBox virtual machine, using that license. Is this possible? What must I do to ensure that I can do this? Will I...
  6. Transferring VM license to Non-Virtual Machine?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transferring VM license to Non-Virtual Machine?: I have a VM set up on Linux with an activated install of Windows on it. If I decided to get rid of the VM on this computer and simply install Windows bare metal, would I be able to use the same license I bought for the VM since its the same computer physically or would it...
  7. License For A Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License For A Virtual Machine: I need to purchase a key not a digital license for windows 10 for using in a virtual machine, naturally i used the windows 7 key i had on the host i originally upgraded to windows 10, this will not activate, and im sure they dont allow this, i dont mind doing this the legal...
  8. Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine

Transferring a Windows license from a physical machine to a virtual machine: I asked this question previously, but had a follow-up question which was never answered, so I assume that it has to be asked separately. I have Windows 10 Education on a physical machine that I built - is there any way of transferring it to a virtual machine running on a...
  9. Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine

Transferring Windows 10 license to virtual machine: Hello I've just built a server and set up a KVM hypervisor on it, and now I want to transfer a little-used mini PC with a Window 10 license to a VM. What implications are there? Can I just virtualize the machine and continue with the VM, since I have a licensed copy of...
  10. OEM licenses and virtual machines

OEM licenses and virtual machines: I just got a computer this week and activated the windows 10 pro OEM license on it. If I now want to install a type 1 hypervisor on the computer like vmshpere and put windows 10 pro and linux on it, will my windows license re-activate? It's the same computer and same...