Windows 10: License or Product number location

Discus and support License or Product number location in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Okay let me lay this out from the start: 1) I've had this computer for close to a year. 2) About a month ish ago, the computer starting freezing up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by EvelynZinn, Dec 12, 2018.

1. License or Product number location

Okay let me lay this out from the start:

1) I've had this computer for close to a year.

2) About a month ish ago, the computer starting freezing up completely. We took the computer back to the place we bought it as it was still under warranty. This place is Best Buy.

3) Best Buy says I need to get a fresh copy of Windows 10 and to do this I need my license number.

4) I've reset and reinstalled on this computer three times now.

5a) I don't have the box anymore as it's been a YEAR.

5b) I can't find where to find my product key or license number on the computer.

What are the other options in finding said license number?

This is because I have to get in contact with Microsoft for a clean Windows 10 disk/thumb drive/ SD card, etc.

:)

EvelynZinn, Dec 12, 2018
  2. newtekie1 Win User

TPU Minecraft Server

Done. Thanks for the suggestion!*Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Dec 12, 2018
  3. How to locate Win10 license number on PC or laptop

Do you have Windows 10 Pro installed by any chance?

To find out if you have the right edition installed:

Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Activation > Edition.

Windows 10 Activation reports your license will soon expire.

This can happen for a number of reasons:

• You copied a Windows 10 Pro off the Internet (usually a volume license - organization - key) and changed on a Windows 10 Home installation. Windows 10 Pro is not free.
      If this is what you did, you will need to reinstall the previous edition or version you were running. You inadvertently installed the wrong edition.
      • The copy of Windows 10 you download and upgrade from will correspond with the edition of Windows you have installed, if it does not, this is why you might be experiencing problems activating:

• Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Windows 8.0 Core, Windows 8.1 Core
      will install Windows 10 Home

• Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.0 Pro, Windows 8.1 Pro
      will install Windows 10 Pro

If the edition of Windows 10 installed does not correspond with the edition of Windows 7 or Windows 8 you were previously running, then you need to reinstall the right edition.

License or Product number location 030e0261-5b18-4757-a37c-be0262442316.png

If it turns out to be the wrong edition, you can install Windows 10 Home by doing the following:

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: How to: Perform a clean install of Windows

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

If you experience problems activating, do the following:

Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 came preinstalled on my computer, how do I find the product key?

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter

The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Dec 12, 2018
  4. Conor1974 Win User

License or Product number location

License Transfer question

So I found this on the MS website.

Add Windows 8.1 Pro Pack or Windows 8.1 Media Center Pack to your edition of Windows 8.1

• Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    • Enter add features in the search box, and then tap or click Settings.
    • Tap or click Add features to Windows 8.1 and then do one of the following:
      • If you need to purchase a product key, tap or click I want to buy a product key online.
        Follow the steps to purchase and enter a product key.
      • If you already have a product key, tap or click I already have a product key.
    • Enter your product key and click Next.
    • Read the license terms, select the check box to accept the license terms, and then click Add features.

Would this be the way to do it? And would it matter that this would be the US version and not UK?

Thanks
      Conor

Conor1974, Dec 12, 2018
Thema:

License or Product number location

1. License or Product number location - Similar Threads - License Product number

2. product serial number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product serial number: product serial number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-serial-number/b0932903-bdc9-4e7f-99a2-d22c0b7ad143
  3. Product number

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product number: I have an Acer Predator Laptop.I'm planning to reset EVERYTHING.Acer laptops have product numbers, right?So.. is my product number gonna be gone? Do I have to buy a new Acer Laptop?Please reply, thank you!Have a blessed day too....
  4. Product number

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product number: I have an Acer Predator Laptop.I'm planning to reset EVERYTHING.Acer laptops have product numbers, right?So.. is my product number gonna be gone? Do I have to buy a new Acer Laptop?Please reply, thank you!Have a blessed day too....
  5. Product number

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Product number: I didnt get a product number when I bought my laptop and this has been a problem can anyone help with that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-number/791e02fc-9061-4a9a-a9b6-e97b07520e3a
  6. Where is my Windows 10 Product Key or License Number?

Where is my Windows 10 Product Key or License Number?: I just installed Window 10 from a download from Microsoft's Web site, then purchased a product license online from Microsoft's store. The Web site successfully activated my software while I was online. I was sent an email receipt but it does not contain a license key, nor...
  7. License number

License number: Where do I see the license number? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/license-number/c83095fa-8430-4a68-979b-c0278f25385c"
  8. product number

product number: greetings everyone, I bought a hp15 a couple of years ago. it came loaded with windows 10. I have looked on the box and sales rec. and cannot find the 25 number code anywhere. I don't know why they did not just include the window disk in the box in the first place. any0ne...
  9. License number

in Windows 10 Customization
    License number: I need a license number https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/license-number/8d6107bd-a2df-49af-a30d-ed7374139713
  10. product number

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    product number: Hi, I do not have the Microsoft office product number, it got lost when they replaced my hard drive Are you able to help me reattain the product number, so that I can reinstall my Microsoft office suite? Regards Kevin...