Windows 10: Licensing - Home VDI with MS Windows 10

Discus and support Licensing - Home VDI with MS Windows 10 in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to build home virtualization server. I want to have (at least) two virtual guests running Windows 10 (ideally home edition). These... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Fis-cz, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Fis-cz Win User

Licensing - Home VDI with MS Windows 10

Hello,

I would like to build home virtualization server. I want to have (at least) two virtual guests running Windows 10 (ideally home edition). These guests will be running on KVM-QEMU (so type 1 hypervisor) and will be accessed remotely from various devices, such as Windows notebooks, Macbooks, iPads, iPhones, Android tablets or Android phones (it is hard to say at this time as devices are changing quiet often). The protocol to access these workstations will be SPICE and NVidia Gamestream. As far as I understand, this is regular virtual desktop infrastructure.

Unfortunately, I didn't find any information, how to license Win 10 to be running on virtual guest in home environment.

As far as I understand it is not possible to use OEM or FPP, only volume licensed products through Select / Enterprise / Open License / Open Value subscriptions, or through Windows VDA respectively, or in combination of both. It seems to me that all of these subscriptions are for companies only, not for personal use. Moreover, would be bit expensive for home environment to license lets say 4 or 5 devices $100 a year while there is no any income generated on them and they will be used just personally, not for business.

Is there any legal and compared to VDA cheap solution to achieve the solution I would like to build?

Thanks

:)

Fis-cz, Dec 14, 2018

2. Windows 10 Tweaks

Volume Key Licenses, find a way.

broken pixel, Dec 14, 2018
  3. krimetal Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade license

Hello guys,

I have 1 license of WIndows 8.1 FPP/retail license. I want to upgrade to WIndows 10, but I one thing is unclear to me.
    If I upgrade, will WIndows 10 license be retail or it will "turn" into some sort of OEM license?

I ask this because I upgrade my PC, you know, more memory, replace HDD, and I intend to upgrade the MB and CPU to Kaby Lake platform sometime in the future, (and of course sell the replaced hardware)
    This thing is not clearly mentioned anywhere.

Thank you.

krimetal, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Licensing - Home VDI with MS Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Licensing Home VDI

2. OS license requirement for VDI

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OS license requirement for VDI: Hi,We are deploying a VDI on Citrix. Planning to use Windows 10 / 11 as operating system.We currently have M365 Business premium subscription, which comes with Windows for Business entitlement. Would this license be enough or do we need additional licenses for Operating...
  3. OS license requirement for VDI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OS license requirement for VDI: Hi,We are deploying a VDI on Citrix. Planning to use Windows 10 / 11 as operating system.We currently have M365 Business premium subscription, which comes with Windows for Business entitlement. Would this license be enough or do we need additional licenses for Operating...
  4. OS license requirement for VDI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  6. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  7. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

8. Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario

Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario: Hello,In a VDI on-premise scenario, what OS license should I install on the VM that the user will be accessing? I understand that Windows VDA is required for each user for access rights, but how about the VM dedicated to each of them? Can I just use a normal Windows 10...
  9. Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario: Hello,In a VDI on-premise scenario, what OS license should I install on the VM that the user will be accessing? I understand that Windows VDA is required for each user for access rights, but how about the VM dedicated to each of them? Can I just use a normal Windows 10...
  10. Windows 10 License for VM in VDI Scenario