Windows 10: licensing is info stored on microsoft server? Or on computer hard drive? Can I replace...

Discus and support licensing is info stored on microsoft server? Or on computer hard drive? Can I replace... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I have a dell laptop without any restore CD's. I think everything was on the original hard drive. I am trying to copy all of the files to a new hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by mlwmlw, Nov 28, 2020.

1. mlwmlw Win User

licensing is info stored on microsoft server? Or on computer hard drive? Can I replace...

I have a dell laptop without any restore CD's. I think everything was on the original hard drive. I am trying to copy all of the files to a new hard drive but since the old one has some problems it has hung up on 74% for hours.

If I install a fresh copy of windows 10, does microsoft somehow know that this laptop is supposed to have a windows liscense, and will it work? Or is my only option to wait however long it takes for the hard drive to finish copying to the new drive?

I'm also worried about file/data corruption since the drive was so bad.

Should I do a fresh install or wait for the transfer?

:)

mlwmlw, Nov 28, 2020
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Replacing hard drive, what about license?

Replacing a hard drive has no effect at all on licensing or activation.

Image (backup) your existing hard drive and restore the image to the new hard drive. Your computer will be exactly as it was, only on a different hard drive.

Most hard drive manufacturers include the necessary software and provide detailed directions on their websites. It is by now a very common procedure.

BulldogXX, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Windows 10, Occasional Error, No Hard Drive, after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi,

System corruption can cause issues detecting your computer's hard drive. For us to properly investigate on your concern, we'd like to confirm the following information:

• On which cases do you receive the startup error?
    • Aside from replacing the hard drive, have you made any significant changes to your device prior to this happening?
    • Have you tried plugging in the replaced hard drive to another computer to check if the same thing occurs?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your reply so we can move forward to resolving your query.

Dhavelyn Mer, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Platibus Win User

licensing is info stored on microsoft server? Or on computer hard drive? Can I replace...

Stored files in Hard Drive

I'd like to know if there's a way of listing all the files stored in my hardware and arrange them by size, because I want to keep track of what's on my hard drive. Thanks, I hope you answer.

Platibus, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

1. licensing is info stored on microsoft server? Or on computer hard drive? Can I replace... - Similar Threads - licensing info stored

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive replacement: The Dell OptiPlex 3050 AIO with a 4GB RAM that I use has been slow. As I type this message, with just Firefox in use, the 84% of the memory is used according the the Processes screen. In fact last week, the system stopped and the blue screen appeared with a message 'Memory...
  6. Hard drive replace

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive replace: I had a corrupt Hard drive and sent my laptop off to be fixed. They have replace the failed hard drive and update the operating system. I have now lost everything, photos, documents etc. not that great with tech through some research I'm guessing everything was saved on my...
  7. Replacing hard drive, what about license?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Replacing hard drive, what about license?: I want to replace the hard drive. My question: how can I keep my license? I purchased this laptop with a pre-installed license. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/replacing-hard-drive-what-about-license/24aa3bf8-7f46-4fcc-b1bd-e8bbe979710c
  8. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  9. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...
  10. Keep windows license when replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Keep windows license when replacing hard drive: I have had a broken PC with a corrupt HDD hard drive for a while. I've been thinking about replacing its hard drive recently. I don't need the data in it, but if i buy a new hard drive, can I still have a windows license and stuff like that?...