Windows 10: Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key

Discus and support Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there Dear Community:My son recently found an older computer in the trash, that still had usable hardware. I got it working again, but found that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by John Rich2, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key

Hi there Dear Community:My son recently found an older computer in the trash, that still had usable hardware. I got it working again, but found that the OS was some Windows 10 Enterprise, that was not activated.I went online a purchased a $25 Windows 10 Pro Retail Key from a third party seller. Installed it...Activated...and tested it with Microsoft PID Checker, and everything checks out perfect...Win 10 RTM Professional Retail.I didn't go for the real cheap keys, knowing that those could be problematic, but at the same time wasn't really eager to buy a $199 key from the Microsoft Store, for a

:)

John Rich2, Nov 23, 2022

2. Question On OEM Windows clean install......

"Flavors" of Windows licenses

Windows can be a little "odd" about license keys. There are at least 4 categories:
    • Retail
    • OEM
    • Volume (electronic download)
    • Corporate (no key needed)
    For guaranteed success, the license key and media should be in the same category. If you have retail media, you may not be able to install it using an OEM or Volume license key, even though the key is valid for that version of Windows. *Wtf :wtf: Apparently, this is part of Microsoft's anti-piracy scheme (i.e., all customers are guilty until proven innocent).

Static~Charge, Nov 23, 2022
  3. Questions regarding license key

Hi,

I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 sometime back. This was during the time the free upgrade was still available. After some time Windows 10 crashed and so I had to format and install Windows 7 again. Now I bought a license key for Windows 10 pro
    yesterday and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro today. The license key is yet to reach me. When I checked for activation of my existing Windows 10 pro License it shows it is already activated.

So my question is that should I cancel the order for the license key as my Windows 10 pro is already activated and that too permanently or I need the retail license key? I am confused so thought of posting the question here.

I tried two to three different methods of checking activation and all showed that Windows 10 pro is activated. What do I do? Please help.

NelsonChristian, Nov 23, 2022
  4. Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key

Windows 10 retail license key

As noted, only Microsoft and through special relations and partnership, Amazon.com can resell digital licenses.

Those listed on ebay are likely MSDN product keys.

About MSDN or TechNet Product Keys

They are genuine Microsoft product keys, they are actually retail licenses, but it is intended for a particular product channel either the Microsoft Software Developer Network (MSDN) or TechNet for IT Professionals who pay a subscription fee. The main purpose
    is for evaluation purposes. The great thing about them, unlike trial Microsoft software, MSDN or TechNet keys don't expire. Because the agreement under which the subscription is provided is a single license, none of the software should be distributed outside
    of it. Even though its $50,000 worth of licenses, it is for one person only to use and no one else. Unfortunately, regardless of the licensing terms, persons still abuse the program, either giveaway product keys or resell it on auction sites. Microsoft licenses
    it in good faith that customers won't do so, but I guess human nature wins out.

In your case, what probably happened is, you bought an MSDN licensed key, which carries up to 10 activations unlike full packaged retail licenses which only carry 1 activation. The person who sold it to you probably sold it to 10 other persons. Somewhere
    along the way, one of those persons might have installed it on a second system, activated it, because it went past 10 activation threshold, Microsoft detected it that it was being abused and blocked the key from further use.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 23, 2022
Thema:

Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key

1. Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key - Similar Threads - Licensing question regarding

2. Installing third party software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing third party software: When trying to load TC2000 financial software I get the following errors: "Called Run Script when not marked in progress", followed by "Called Install Finalize when no install in progress". I have installed this software on Windows 10 machines with no errors. This only occurs...
  3. Installing third party software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing third party software: When trying to load TC2000 financial software I get the following errors: "Called Run Script when not marked in progress", followed by "Called Install Finalize when no install in progress". I have installed this software on Windows 10 machines with no errors. This only occurs...
  4. Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key: Hi there Dear Community:My son recently found an older computer in the trash, that still had usable hardware. I got it working again, but found that the OS was some Windows 10 Enterprise, that was not activated.I went online a purchased a $25 Windows 10 Pro Retail Key from a...
  5. Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Licensing question regarding third party windows 10 retail software key: Hi there Dear Community:My son recently found an older computer in the trash, that still had usable hardware. I got it working again, but found that the OS was some Windows 10 Enterprise, that was not activated.I went online a purchased a $25 Windows 10 Pro Retail Key from a...
  6. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer: I will soon will be be transferring my Win 10 Pro retail license from an old custom computer to a new computer build. Once the license is transferred, will I still have access to personal files on the old computer to transfer via a USB or portable drive. It may take some time...
  7. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer: I will soon will be be transferring my Win 10 Pro retail license from an old custom computer to a new computer build. Once the license is transferred, will I still have access to personal files on the old computer to transfer via a USB or portable drive. It may take some time...
  8. Question Regarding Windows 10 Pro Retail License Transfer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. third party software update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    third party software update: I have a windows server 2012 standalone server and two user. one is normal user and another one is administrator user. Normal user have internet connection but administrator user have no internet access. In this situation how can I update third party software like "adobe "....
  10. Questions regarding license key

Questions regarding license key: Hi, I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 sometime back. This was during the time the free upgrade was still available. After some time Windows 10 crashed and so I had to format and install Windows 7 again. Now I bought a license key for Windows 10 pro yesterday and...