Windows 10: Licensing Question - Windows and VMs

Discus and support Licensing Question - Windows and VMs in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey Guys, I'm wondering if any of you can give me some insight on the Following Scenario: I would like to create a virtual machine on my MBP of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by heypaleblue, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Licensing Question - Windows and VMs

Hey Guys,

I'm wondering if any of you can give me some insight on the Following Scenario:

I would like to create a virtual machine on my MBP of Windows 10 Pro for testing/troubleshooting/general tinkery. I imagine I will be utilizing Snapshots but can anybody force issues with me purchasing a copy of windows 10 to run in Virtual box as part of a single pc /virtualized domain setup? I have licenses for server 2k12 R2 but not windows. I'd like to purchase licenses for 10 and 7.

any thoughts?

:)

heypaleblue, Nov 18, 2015

2. Will Windows 10 license permit consumers to run it in a VM?

Thanks for the replies, but I have a follow-up question.

I have a fully licensed, verified, up to date OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro that I run in a VM on the machine that it was originally licensed for. The VM is running in Virtualbox under Windows 8.1 Pro (a full, not upgrade copy) and under Ubuntu. The Windows
    7 VM has downloaded the KB35035583 update for the Get Windows 10 App but the app does not appear on the taskbar.

Will it be permitted to upgrade this copy of Windows 7 to Windows 10? If so, why does the app not appear?

Thanks.

EdwardGibbs, Nov 18, 2015
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    Can I use Windows 10 VM (legal license) on two different Hosts (VirtualBox)?

I know that a VM is considered like a physical computer and requires its own license, but I hadn't previously considered what happens when you move a VM to another computer. It seems logical that you can't have the same VM licensed on two computers. But
    can you move a VM from one computer to another while maintaining the VM's license?

BulldogXX, Nov 18, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

Licensing Question - Windows and VMs

If you're just doing this for testing, then you can simply download the 180 day trial from TechNet and use that.

Mystere, Nov 18, 2015
  5. Hey Thanks for the tip! I've registered and am Downloading the windows 10 Enterprise evaluation (good for 90 days). Thanks!

heypaleblue, Nov 18, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    It's good for 90 days, but you can rearm it up to 3 times I believe, for additional 90 day extensions.

Mystere, Nov 18, 2015
  7. Steve C Win User
    I'v been experimenting with a non-activated version of Windows 10 in a VM obtained via the Media Creation Tool. It works well enough to test program compatibility but you can't personalise Windows.

Steve C, Nov 18, 2015
  8. pparks1 Win User

The trials are what I use now for all of my testing.

To rearm, just run the following in admin command prompt,

Slmgr -rearm

pparks1, Nov 18, 2015
  9. Ztruker Win User
    When you run out of rearms, wipe the VM and start over. That's what I've done.

Ztruker, Nov 19, 2015
  10. jmsnyc Win User
    Could you explain the process you use for this ? Don't you lose all the settings, programs and stuff you have installed in the vm ?

jmsnyc, Aug 22, 2016
  11. Fafhrd Win User
    If you are using snapshots - setup the VM the way you want then take the snapshot - you can just go back to an early snapshot without rearming ad lib.

Microsoft already provides the VMs (one for VirtualBox included) FOC here:

Free Virtual Machines from IE8 to MS Edge - Microsoft Edge Development

and also gives you the snapshot advice!

Since Microsoft have been offering this service since 2013, for testing IE, and now Edge, they can hardly ask you to stop an buy it!

Fafhrd, Aug 22, 2016
  12. jmsnyc Win User
    With the rearms, you can get 360 days total (90 initial + rearm 1,2 and 3 another 270 days)? If you do a snapshot does that reset the rearms?

jmsnyc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Licensing Question - Windows and VMs - Similar Threads - Licensing Question VMs

2. Windows server VMs licensing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows server VMs licensing: HiI have server with 2 16-core CPUs onboard and Vmware hypervisor installed on it.What kind and number of licenses I have to buy in order to run Windows Server 2019/2022 as virtual machines inside it?If I buy Windows Server Standart licenses for 32 cores, what number and...
  3. Windows server VMs licensing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows server VMs licensing: HiI have server with 2 16-core CPUs onboard and Vmware hypervisor installed on it.What kind and number of licenses I have to buy in order to run Windows Server 2019/2022 as virtual machines inside it?If I buy Windows Server Standart licenses for 32 cores, what number and...
  4. licensing question

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    licensing question: I am looking at buying an ASUS notebook and it comes with "Windows 10 Pro National Academic " loaded. I am not a student and like the notebook for it's hardware features. Will I still be able to use it as "Windows 10 Pro ? Even if I am not a student ? Thanks...
  5. licensing question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    licensing question: I have my computer re installed without changing any parts. Its just not working properly so we perform re installation and now my computer is not activated. I have my computer link to my MS account so it is weird not being activated. How can I re activate my Windows?...
  6. licensing question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    licensing question: I have my computer re installed without changing any parts. Its just not working properly so we perform re installation and now my computer is not activated. I have my computer link to my MS account so it is weird not being activated. How can I re activate my Windows?...
  7. Windows license question

Windows license question: If you own a windows home license but then upgrade to a pro license does that delete your home license or can you still downgrade your os back to home using your old home license?...
  8. License question

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    License question: I have a failing hard drive so I got a second internal hard drive and am now in the process of cloning the old hard drive to the new hard drive. Then I want to take out the old hard drive and put in either a ssd or hdd whichever my motherboard will accept. (It is a Dell 8300)...
  9. Windows licensing question

Windows licensing question: Hi, All. A couple of weeks ago I bought a new iMac. And I bought a new Win10 license to run in Parallels Desktop. After a day or so I realized the computer didn't meet my needs so I erased the disk and returned it to the Apple store. Yesterday I received my new MacBook...
  10. Licensing Windows 10 within VMs

Licensing Windows 10 within VMs: I'm a developer, and I'm sorta paranoid, so all my computers run Linux in work mode. I have a HDD with an official install of W7 for gaming, but some of my customers need me into Windows. So the natural answer is a Virtual Machine. Can I buy a license of W10 and then...