Windows 10: Lid wake up when manually sent to sleep

Discus and support Lid wake up when manually sent to sleep in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi, My laptop wakes up from sleep when I open the lid if I have the sleep on lid close action set. I still want to be able to listen to music when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/1weekender, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Lid wake up when manually sent to sleep

Hi,

My laptop wakes up from sleep when I open the lid if I have the sleep on lid close action set.

I still want to be able to listen to music when the laptop is closed. So I have the close action set as do nothing but have it set to go to sleep after 5 mins of idle.

The issue is when sleep is triggered after 5 mins of idle, the laptop doesn't wake up from sleep on the lid open. I have also checked other behaviours for example pressing the power button to send the laptop to sleep and opening the lid and it still doesn't wake up on lid open.

Are there two different modes of sleep one that happens on lid close and another that happens when the laptop is sent to sleep with other methods?

Can I set lid close to do nothing but wake automatically on lid open?

Thanks

submitted by /u/1weekender
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/1weekender, Mar 7, 2021
  2. ZeyuDong Win User

Wake on Lan (WOL) does not work when the lid is closed

I met problem when configuring wake on lan. After enabling wake on lan in BIOS and in network adapter settings, I was able to wake my computer from sleep. But the problem is my laptop won't wake up when the lid is closed. That is to say:

1. When I manually sleep my computer via "Start -> Power -> Sleep" button (thus the lid is not closed), I can successfully wake my computer on lan.
    2. When I closed the lid to let computer go to sleep, I can't wake up the computer.
    3. When I sleep the computer as in 1 and then close the lid, I still cannot wake my computer.
    I have tried several method, including disabling the quickstart, disabling hybrid sleep, turning off Link State Power Management, disable power saving policy in adapter settings and etc.... But they all make no effect.

The Windows version is Windows 10 1809

The Network Adapter is made by Realtek

Thanks in advance!

ZeyuDong, Mar 7, 2021
  3. Laptop tries to wake from sleep while lid is closed.

Hello,

I have a Gateway NV53A with Windows 10 Home installed. When I close the lid, it goes to sleep normally for a few hours, but after a few hours it will start to get caught in a never ending "wake up loop" i.e. the laptop will try to wake itself up before quickly
    realizing that it can't because the lid is closed. The DVD drive will continuously start to spin up each time. This happens every two or three seconds. The sound of the DVD drive trying to spin up every three seconds is annoying and it also wastes battery.
    Normally, I have to hit a key on the keyboard to wake up the laptop after opening the lid again, but when it's in one of these wake up loops, it successfully wakes itself up upon opening the lid (evidence suggesting it's indeed trying to wake itself up.)

I've tried using the command line to see what devices are permitted to wake up the device, but none were listed. I've also disabled wake on LAN.

The only clue I've been able to find is an error in the system log that reads: "The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance."

However, I'm not sure this pertains to the specific issue I'm having.

TaylorPinkham, Mar 7, 2021
  4. Adrian700 Win User

Lid wake up when manually sent to sleep

Can't wake up laptop from sleep without opening the lid

Hello.

I used to be able to wake up my laptop with my USB mouse and keyboard, but about 1-2 months ago it stopped working.

In order to wake it up, I now have to open the lid. I don't need to press any buttons, merely lifting the lid a few centimetres wakes the computer up.

What's interesting, I can wake it up with mouse/keyboard within a few minutes of it going to sleep. But if I leave it in a sleep state for longer, if I walk away and come back in a few hours, mouse/keyboard can no longer wake it up and I have to open the
    lid.

Any suggestions?

Adrian700, Mar 7, 2021
Thema:

Lid wake up when manually sent to sleep

1. Lid wake up when manually sent to sleep - Similar Threads - Lid wake manually

2. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  3. When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I put the laptop to sleep, and THEN close the lid, it wakes up immediately.: I want the laptop to stay awake when I close the lid, so I can listen to Spotify with the lid closed. So I have the option set to "Do nothing" for when I close the lid. I press the power button to put the device to sleep. It goes to sleep. Then I close the lid, it wakes up...
  4. Wakes up and then sleeps

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wakes up and then sleeps: I open the lid of my surface, the screen lights up but doesn’t give the option of a password. It goes back to sleep after about 8 seconds. Neither the touchscreen nor any of the keys work....
  5. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Hello, hope you can help me when my Asus laptop lid is closed using an outside keyboard and screenand I put it to sleep. when I wish it to wake up, I must open the lid to do so.is there a way to wake it up without open the lid?when it sleeps it does not respond to the outside...
  6. My laptop PC wakes up from sleep when opening the lid

My laptop PC wakes up from sleep when opening the lid: Hello, I've purchased a new laptop last week Lenovo ideapad and there's the following problem: the PC wakes up from sleep whenever I open the lid. I DO NOT want my PC to wake up from sleep when opening it. How do I change this? In the Power Options, I HAVE set the Lid...
  7. No sleep/standby when lid is open wakes up immediately

No sleep/standby when lid is open wakes up immediately: My notebook is a Lenovo Z710 running Windows 10 2004. The problem is as follows: If I put the system to standby mode start menu / power symbol / standby and the lid is open, it wakes up immediately. Just to clarify: This happens without touching the lid. As long as the...
  8. Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed

Laptop cannot wake up from sleep if the lid was closed: Since the Windows 10 May 2019 update, the laptop cannot wake up when the lid is opened. The power button lights up and fans start up but the screen stays black and the computer doesn't respond to any button (not even the power button which would normally put it to sleep), or...
  9. Sleep and Wake up

Sleep and Wake up: I use Windows 10 with latest fixes, my problem is when I put my PC to sleep I touch a key and the system unit wakes up but the screen stays sleeping. Eventually touching the mouse or more keys then makes the system reboot. Any help much appreciated...
  10. Computer Sleeps/Wakes fine manually, but won't wake from auto-sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Sleeps/Wakes fine manually, but won't wake from auto-sleep: Hello, My motherboard is a P8Z77-V, with Gigabyte 7950 video card, if that matters. I did the windows 10 upgrade, and all seems well, except waking from Standby. If I go into start menu, and choose sleep, everything spins down, and the computer shuts itself off. I am...