Windows 10: Light or Dark Backgrounds and Fonts - What Works Best for You

Discus and support Light or Dark Backgrounds and Fonts - What Works Best for You in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Eye problems anyone? For most of my life, I've had problems reading my computer screen because of the brightness and light gray font presented.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Wynona, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Wynona Win User

Light or Dark Backgrounds and Fonts - What Works Best for You

Eye problems anyone?

For most of my life, I've had problems reading my computer screen because of the brightness and light gray font presented. Finally, Microsoft and other companies have listened and we're beginning to have choices!

And, that's what this discussion is about! What is your solution? Or, like me, are you looking for multiple solutions?

:)

Wynona, Feb 24, 2021

2. change font size on messages and contacts

is there a way of changing the font size or background on the Nokia 800?
    the best way for legibility is to change the background to light not dark, and use dark theme colours
    Any suggestions?

Casioquartz, Feb 24, 2021
  3. Win10 Start Menu Font Color matching Background?

Hello,

I've tried to play with all the Start Menu settings and for some reason Windows keeps changing the font color to match the background. A font should not match the background, it should contrast it. No matter how I set background, light or dark, the font
    always corresponds with the same; dark backgrounds with nearly equally dark fonts. I cannot read the start menu and I cannot find anyone else with this problem.

Austin K Gatlin, Feb 24, 2021
  4. Light or Dark Backgrounds and Fonts - What Works Best for You

Dark characters on a light background are superior to light characters on a dark background - Monitor issue

Original Title: Blinding white!

OK, I'm guessing that everyone that works at Microsoft doesn't have any kind of modern monitor or they spend absolutely no time in front of a LED monitor. Was any research done to see if white is the best idea for all of the UI and no I don't mean the borders!
    who cares about the borders? I mean the content in the windows. Absolutely blinding. Even with the brightness/contrast down.

so here's the research

There has been a lot of research on this topic since the 1980s and a lot of it still holds true today. One study from the 1980s states this:

The reason why this matters is because of focus. As
    this article on UXMovement
    states, "white stimulates all three types of color sensitive visual receptors in the human eye in nearly equal amounts." It causes the eye to focus by tightening the iris. Since the eye is focused, dark letter forms on light backgrounds
    are easier to read. When using a dark background with strong light letter forms, the iris opens to allow more light in, but that causes letter forms to blur. Why?

Now there seem to be varying factors into contrast and legibility. Room ambient lighting. Brightness of the monitor. Also you can mitigate the straining effects of white (#FFF) on black (#000) by simply lessening the contrast like using a light gray (#EEE,
    #DDD, #CCC) on a dark background (#111, #222).

So even if you did make the default theme for 50% of the population, what about the other 50%? is my money not worth making a theme that doesn't blind me? worse, trying to use the High contrast themes are awful. Basic colors that can only contrast to cause
    more eye strain? Is this ever going to be fixed or are you going to force the remaining users to go to mac? Also, I will ignore anyone who not an MS employee on this answer. I payed for this. I want support. (No offense to the community)

LouisLawyer, Feb 24, 2021
Thema:

Light or Dark Backgrounds and Fonts - What Works Best for You

1. Light or Dark Backgrounds and Fonts - What Works Best for You - Similar Threads - Light Dark Backgrounds

2. What's the Best Way to Manage Fonts on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    What's the Best Way to Manage Fonts on Windows 10?: In prepping for my imminent switch from Macs to PC, I've been reading/watching information of the default method for installing fonts. Is this the way most people use? What about large numbers of fonts ( a mix of downloads and commercial foundry, mostly TTF). What's the best...
  3. Light & Dark Modes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Light & Dark Modes: Hi, I have an issue to solve.If I want to switch between light & dark modes in Windows I have to create tasks to make them happen.Can you include a feature or option that automatically do those tasks and synchronizes with Night Light Settings within Windows...
  4. what is the best dark mode extension on chrome right now?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is the best dark mode extension on chrome right now?: QUESTION^ submitted by /u/tanishvv [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gcr49x/what_is_the_best_dark_mode_extension_on_chrome/
  5. Dark blue default font set - text comes out light blue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dark blue default font set - text comes out light blue: This problem is reproducable even after restart. I set the Default Font in Settings to Dark Blue, Darker 50% and save the setting. When I then compose an email or reply, the font is simply Blue i.e. a much lighter blue. Setting the Default Font to any other colour sticks....
  6. camera light is too dark

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    camera light is too dark: My Surface Pro camera light is so dark, I can barely be seen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/camera-light-is-too-dark/0c305304-8c1e-4898-a6d4-6b0415678432
  7. Dark mode / Light mode doesn't work

Dark mode / Light mode doesn't work: In Light mode: taskbar color never changes - always a hideous yellow/green, everything else follows color chosen In Dark mode: taskbar color changes- i choose a dark gray- but everything else is just black no matter which color is chosen. Neither option is acceptable. Is...
  8. Colors on a Dark Background

Colors on a Dark Background: This thread is for discussion of and experimentation with colors on dark backgrounds. What works for you in a light background doesn't work for me on a dark background. For years, those with eye problems have begged Microsoft to give us a choice between a dark and light...
  9. How do you keep "lights on" in dark mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do you keep "lights on" in dark mode?: I actually prefer the "lights on" reading pane while in dark mode, but it switches back to "lights off" whenever I leave the app. Just curious, is there a way to lock the lights to "on" or do I have to change it back every time? I checked under "personalization" and "reading...
  10. Dark Background

Dark Background: I just picked up a new surface pro, and I am not able to get the office / windows product to display anything other than a black background, which I really do not like. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dark-background/8b65415e-8ad8-4b57-b5f4-0e7c38ec2ebc