Windows 10: Lights on when PC is turned off

Discus and support Lights on when PC is turned off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; The power comes from the USB port. The fact is that it is a software, BIOS, or UEFI setting that controls it... Not something that is abnormal. The OP... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by littlebee, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Lights on when PC is turned off

The OP said his PC was turned off? When you pull the switch of your home electrical panel do your lights stay on...Have a good day

Josey Wales, Nov 18, 2017
  2. NavyLCDR New Member

You might want to educate yourself on what USB standby power is. There is a big difference between clicking on shut down in Windows, pressing the power button on the front of the computer, and actually flipping that switch on the back of the computer power supply. If you click on shut down in Windows, or even use the power button on the front of the computer, it is perfectly normal for USB ports to remain powered on most desktop computers manufactured in the past few years. All three of my desktop computers at my house are that way, and hundreds of computers at my workplace are that way.

It's called the S5 system power state.

Wake on LAN works the same way also, the Ethernet controller remains powered on in the S5 system power state if the motherboard fully supports Wake on LAN.

System Power States (Windows)

You also have a good day.

NavyLCDR, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Steve C Win User
    Some motherboards have a BIOS option to supply 5V power to the USB ports for device charging when the PC is off. Check your BIOS to see if there is a setting you can turn off. Note there is always a 5V power supply to the motherboard from the PSU when the PC is off but the PSU is switched on and connected to the mains. I always turn off my PC at the mains switch or PSU switch when not in use (fire risk you know).

Steve C, Nov 19, 2017
  4. CountMike New Member

Lights on when PC is turned off

There's off and "off" on computers. Full off is when you unplug it from power source but also normal one when you just shut it down either thru OS or by pressing start button.
    At normal shutdown most of power is cut to CPU and other parts but there is one wire from PSU to MB that stays live all the time. It's always on at 5v and 0.5 - 2A. It is used to power up computer when you push start button (which is only a momentary switch). MB manufacturers use it to enable charging of devices like phones even when a computer is in OFF state. Some design just some USB ports to have that "always on state" while some give you ability to choose which if any can have that feature thru BIOS settings. My present MB has that last one while earlier one had two USB2 ports at the back to stay always on.
    Here's one of schematics for ATX standard PSUs: ATX Power Supply Pinout and Connectors

CountMike, Nov 19, 2017
  5. I have a Standard ATX Power supply with a switch, and when I turn off my PC , I turn off the switch which kills all power to the PC. I do not do that very often but when I place my PC in sleep mode, the RGB lights go off on my mouse and keyboard. I use Corsair equipment and CUE software. But even with the software installed my lights go off and there is no logical reason for them to stay on.

Josey Wales, Nov 19, 2017
  6. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Some PC's (Usually or invariably Laptops) have a "Charging Port" on the USB slot - maybe only 1 of several USB ports. HP ones certainly have "This feature" and probably some other makes too.

This will still deliver a charge even when the PC is switched off -- it draws power directly from the internal PC's battery so on these "Charging Ports" you should always remove USB devices if attached to these charging ports.

Standard (non charging) USB ports might be inactive when computer is powered off - in any case I'd always remove any external devices from a laptop after powering it off (possible exception might be a LAN cable).

With Mains type "Servers / desktops" it depends if the PC is in standby or is truely disconnected from the mains -- the 100% way to be sure is to switch the plug off at the mains or pull it out altogether,

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 19, 2017
  7. CountMike New Member
    That's different from USB but on my MB, there's a BIOS setting to when lights can stay on or shut off. like for instance during sleep or machine shut down. I can also choose which USB ports would always stay on. Of course that when I switch it of at the back of PSU there's no power anywhere but that's same as unplugging it..

CountMike, Nov 19, 2017
  8. Lights on when PC is turned off

Yes I understand that but the OP does not have a laptop . I am not saying that some PC's don't keep RGB lights on, what I am saying that it is not logical to do so. It is a waste of electricity and will shorten the life of the RGB keyboard. In my BIOS I use S3 .

I just checked my BIOS and there is a setting that will send power to the USB ports when the PC is turned off but it requires a hardware jumper plug to be installed on the system board. The default is to not install it.

9. My ASUS motherboards have jumpers to power the USB ports either from the power supplies standby (aux) power or the normal power. When jumpered to standby the USB ports have power when I shut down the PC. They only lose power if I switch the power supply off with the switch on the power supply. Or unplug the power supply from the wall. As @NavyLCDR said this is normal. My motherboard has a power on via keyboard or mouse option. It only works if the AUX power is feed to the USB ports to power the keyboard and mouse. It looks for a key press or mouse click to turn the PC on from a cold start. This is not sleep or hibernate. Switch the jumpers the other way and they have no power when I shut down. Again, said this is normal.

alphanumeric, Nov 19, 2017
  10. I can see this being something you might want to turn off if you have a backlight keyboard. It's not that big a deal if you don't though. I suffer from a bad back so I turned it on so I wouldn't have to lean down to turn my PC on. Bump the desk or move your mouse and your PC boots up. I got to many false starts and ended up turning it off and switching the jumpers back. I have since wired up my own switches in the top front of my case for easy access. I can reach then with a full arm extension from my computer chair.

11. Yes it is normal if you have the jumpers in place. The OP gave little info on that.

12. littlebee Win User
    I have had this computer for a month but this only started to happen a couple of days ago.

- I did not install/reinstall a new OS.
    - I did not update the bios.

littlebee, Nov 19, 2017
  13. Lights on when PC is turned off

Yeah, apologies of sorts, I missed you very last post before I made mine.

14. Did you switch which USB ports you had the keyboard and mouse plugged into? My motherboard has two jumpers, one for one group of ports and another for a second group of ports. I think one group in the dedicated ports on the motherboard, and the other jumper is for the add on ones plugged into the headers. I'd have to go read my manual again to see which jumper controls which ports.

EDIT: As far as I know, on my motherboard, the BIOS settings don't affect whether power is sent to the ports or not. Only the jumpers do that. I can turn off my start with keyboard or mouse and the ports still get power. The PC just won't tun on with a key press, I have to press the case power button.

15. Barman58 Win User
    Looking at this another way, would there not be a illumination timeout setting on the keyboard itself, I have no experience with wired illuminated keyboards but my Logitech Wireless illuminated keyboards fade to zero illumination a few seconds or so after the last keypress.

If present this would likely be set using a key sequence, which could be entered accidently - especially with the finger dexterity required for some games

Barman58, Nov 19, 2017
Thema:

Lights on when PC is turned off

1. Lights on when PC is turned off - Similar Threads - Lights turned off

2. Mute light wont turn off!!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mute light wont turn off!!: Hi i was wondering if anyone can help me my mute button light wont turn off i have a hp notebook an i recently took my battery out but then i put it back in but then when i turned the notebook on the mute button light wouldn't turn off??...
  3. Night Light wont turn off

Night Light wont turn off: I recently had my laptop repaired but for whatever reason now night light wont turn off, ive tried deleting the settings from the registry editor but they keep returning after i restart the computer, ive also tried redownloading my drivers and have even tried resetting my...
  4. Night Light won't turn off

Night Light won't turn off: My Night Light setting is turned off, no schedule no nothing. I have updated drivers, restarted the computer, re-installed drivers, deleted Night Light files but nothing helps. If I go to my display settings my night light will turn off and the screen will look normal, but...
  5. Microsoft LifeCam light will not turn off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft LifeCam light will not turn off: My Microsoft LifeCam works find during meetings regardless of app. The issue that I'm having is that the blue light on top of the camera never turns off. I've confirmed that all my windows updates are up-to-date. There is no firmware, driver or software update. I'm running...
  6. Night Light Settings Crashes When Turn Off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Night Light Settings Crashes When Turn Off: Night light is on but doesn't actually show that it's on. Whenever I go into the settings to manually turn it off even though it's not on it crashes the whole setting. I really want to use night light again because when at night time the blue light from my screen annoys my...
  7. Night Light not turning off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Night Light not turning off: Just 2 days ago the night light setting is no longer working for me, i try to disable it from action center and from settings but it keeps closing the settings window and stays on, I have tried a lot of things to help but nothing has worked so far....
  8. Unable to turn off Night Light

Unable to turn off Night Light: how do I get the night light off my computer [Moderator Edit: Changed title from " crooks at microsoft"] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-turn-off-night-light/6f21bfda-3e1a-432d-be06-ad047fdd8598
  9. Night Light Turning Off

Night Light Turning Off: I have a Surface Pro X and have been having this issue for a while now: When I turn on the Night Light and have the scheduled setting on, the night light "turns off" after my device goes to sleep for a bit and then wakes back up, even if it's after sunset. When I swipe in...
  10. Hard Drive light turns off then PC freezes.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard Drive light turns off then PC freezes.: hey, guys, what's up? here's the thing, i've been having this problem for a really long time, i'm using my pc and all of the sudden everything sofwere stops responding and the hard drive light turns off, then after 30 seconds or so it starts blinking again and everything...