Windows 10: Likelyhood of a proper no-fail MS fix for the Start button debacle?

Discus and support Likelyhood of a proper no-fail MS fix for the Start button debacle? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've literally spent two days now, trying every trick that Google can muster up and then some, to get the damn Start button to work in Windows 10. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Likelyhood of a proper no-fail MS fix for the Start button debacle?

I've literally spent two days now, trying every trick that Google can muster up and then some, to get the damn Start button to work in Windows 10. I've been running DISM and scannow on both the original Win8 and the upgraded Win10 more times that I care to say and I can't get DISM to work in Win8.

It is simply not justifiable to spend any more time on this but I'm boiling with fury. What can I expect for the future of this bug? Will MS push out a proper fix that resolve the problem in a bullet proof way for everyone?

(It's INCOMPREHENSIBLE that so many people are affected by this while MS is still not providing a bullet proof fix. )

Everything else went fine in my update. I'm wondering - do I install Stardock Start 10 and leave it at that and count on a proper fix from MS at some point in the not so distant future?

Or do I start from scratch with Win10 which I ABSOLUTELY don't want to have to do, and shouldn't have to. But just in order to get the Start Button working...

I'm so sick of MS that I'm trying to teach myself Linux and playing with an old Mac but unfortunately the habit of a lifetime doesn't die immediately. Something similar happened with the upgrade to 8 as well - plus I know perfectly well that if I start using Win10 I'll be snooped on no end by M$ as well.

:)

Hannele2, Jul 11, 2016
  2. trbogt Win User

Is there a PERMANENT fix for the start button not working in Windows 10?

I don't think so...I have five Windows 10 systems running and I have never had broken start menu...and I have not seen any
    particular cure...

You could try just to re-install over your current system but that does not warranty that you will inherit any current issues...

however Formatting the drive and preforming a 'Clean install' will give you a new clean system...but you will have to re-install all your programs...

there's been much success with this procedure only if you are willing...

other than that....keep searching your query thru these forums or the internet.*john

trbogt, Jul 11, 2016
  3. Is there a PERMANENT fix for the start button not working in Windows 10?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to Microsoft community and thank you for posting your query.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you to fix the issue.

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps you have performed. The issue you are facing could be due to the user account is corrupt, let’s try creating a new user account and check if this helps.

• Press the Windows key + R on the keyboard.
    • Type netplwiz and press Enter.
    • Click on Add button and create a new user account.
    You can also visit the below link for more information.

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

“Critical Error – Start menu and Cortana aren’t working. We’ll try to fix it the next time you sign in.”

Hope it helps. Please post in case you have any further issues, we will be glad to help you further.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 11, 2016
  4. Kari Win User

Hi Hannele, try this (quote from another thread):

This usually fixes non-working Start and Search / Cortana.

5. Hannele2 Win User
    Thanks Kari - this was something new to the other things I tried. But unfortunately it didn't help.
    I've tried all known fixes now multiple times - and wasted hours trying to run DISM on Win 8.1 before upgrading but with no success.
    Nothing has helped.
    I have to give up.

More resolved than before to try to get good at Linux and/or Mac. This plus the privacy concerned have totally put me off Windows 10.

Hannele2, Jul 12, 2016
  6. Glitches happen on upgrades. I had a few, nothing serous, just annoying. I did a clean install, and no such issues.

alphanumeric, Jul 12, 2016
  7. Hannele2 Win User
    It's a tiny bit inconvenient to use the computer without a start button don't you think! For me it was a deal breaker not to have this functionality working. It forced me to do a clean re-install despite EVERYTHING else upgrading just fine.

I think it's appalling that it's been a year and tens if not hundreds of thousands of ppl are affected by this - MS has yet to deliver a fix that solves the problem for everyone.

Hannele2, Jul 19, 2016
  8. Likelyhood of a proper no-fail MS fix for the Start button debacle?

Where did you get this "tens if not hundreds of thousands of ppl are affected by this" figure from? I've seen some reports, not anything like that though. Don't get me wrong, that is a big deal if you are one of the ones affected. But keep in mind that Microsoft cannot possibly test all the various scenarios for all the combinations of installed software and drivers. Plus any non standard mods people do their systems. That being said, there should be a "fix it" for that type or issue.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Likelyhood of a proper no-fail MS fix for the Start button debacle? - Similar Threads - Likelyhood proper fail

2. Servers Fail to Start Properly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Servers Fail to Start Properly.: After last update of Windows, I found my MySQL server can't start properly though I add it to Startup list. By following some tutorials on the internet, I found an application error occurs every time MySQL server try to start. also, module 'ntdll.dll' also cause other Startup...
  3. Servers Fail to Start Properly.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Servers Fail to Start Properly.: After last update of Windows, I found my MySQL server can't start properly though I add it to Startup list. By following some tutorials on the internet, I found an application error occurs every time MySQL server try to start. also, module 'ntdll.dll' also cause other Startup...
  4. HOW to fix START button

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HOW to fix START button: How to fix enable Start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-start-button/d4006070-7e65-4f4a-be93-083fed011170
  5. HOW to fix START button

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HOW to fix START button: How to fix enable Start button https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-fix-start-button/d4006070-7e65-4f4a-be93-083fed011170
  6. HOW to fix START button

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Fix for start button not working

Fix for start button not working: There are many fixes available for this problem, but most of them fail because:1. The "Start" process is not listed in Task Manager part of the problem2. Winkey doesn't work - most likely for the same reason.3. The "TaskView" icon hangs most things up after first use.4. Apps...
  8. Start button not working properly

Start button not working properly: My start button no longer displays the list of applications, settings, shut down etc. How do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-button-not-working-properly/e9837339-8a6f-4483-8cce-2ac4a0894f2a
  9. Simple Fix for Start button not working

Simple Fix for Start button not working: Several days ago my Start button stopped working. After seeing the myriad numbers of posts on this topic, and trying several of the recommended fixes (restart, system restore, driver reinstalls, etc.) without luck, I discovered a simple fix from Settings that enabled the...
  10. Start Button not working properly

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Button not working properly: All of a sudden my start button will not respond to the left click. Right click works normally. This seems to be the only problem in the task bar. Any suggestions? Is there a win 10 repair disk available? I have just discovered that there are no restore points! What to do?...