Windows 10: Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8

Discus and support Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I recently built an internal file server for our office that uses Windows 10 Pro. The hardware is a Dell server with an Intel Xeon 4 core/8 processor... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Mulligan, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Mulligan Win User

Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8

I recently built an internal file server for our office that uses Windows 10 Pro. The hardware is a Dell server with an Intel Xeon 4 core/8 processor chip.

I have an application server software app that I pay an annual license fee for the use of it. I received a call from the company I purchased it from saying my license is only valid when run from 4 processors and I am running it on 8 processors. They want to double my annual license fee as a result.

When I view the service in task manager and use the option to set affinity, it shows it utilizing all 8 processors. If I unselect 4 of the processors, will the service only show as running on 4 processors when it ‘calls home’?

If this isn’t the answer, is there anything I can do to force it to only run on 4 processors?

thanks

:)

Mulligan, Dec 26, 2018
  2. neilpzz Win User

1 Cpu processor running instead of 8 processors

The spec shows an Intel Core i7-7700HQ which is a single processor with 4 Cores and 8 Threads.

Can you post a screenshot of Task Manager Performance tab and select CPU.

neilpzz, Dec 26, 2018
  3. Sasqui Win User
    Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Dec 26, 2018
  4. Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8

What's the difference between these two processors.

the first one is stepping E3, the second one is stepping E6. whats stepping?

No processor design is perfect. The first version of a new microprocessor product is the A-0 step. Later, as improvements are made to the product for functional (bug) fixes or manufacturing improvements, the stepping number will increase.

Generally speaking, minor changes result in an increased number, (that is, A-1 to A-2) while more complex changes result in the letter being changed (that is, A-2 to B-0).

If new steppings come out with fewer bugs you are usually not eligible to RMA for a newer processor. Most of these bugs are supposed to be worked around in the motherboard design, BIOS (drivers), and applications.

Intel produces a detailed document called a "Specification Update" for each of their processor models that covers all of the various steppings, and lists exactly which bugs (they call them "errata") each one has and a description of the bug. For example you can download the Pentium IV specification Update from Intel at http://developer.intel.com/design/pentium4/specupdt/
    A similar document is available for every processor they make.

AMD uses the term "revision numbers" to refer to steppings for its Athlon and other processors. To see the errata for a given AMD processor, look up its revision guide, which lists the processor revision numbers and the errata which apply to each revision. For example, the revision guide for the AMD Athlon XP model 8 processor is available from AMD at
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/25703.pdf

what does this all mean, well you are likely to have less compatablity problems with the newer version of the processor, but as most motherboard manufactures are good with bios updates, this should not be a problem.

cjoyce1980, Dec 26, 2018
Thema:

Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8

1. Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8 - Similar Threads - Limit application processors

2. Processor IntelR XeonR CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Processor IntelR XeonR CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors...: Compatibility check is wrong.Installed processor is listed as compatible in windows processor requirements page but compatibility check records processor is unsupported.When will this be fixed? It has been unchanged now for months and windows update will not offer an upgrade...
  3. Processor IntelR XeonR CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Processor IntelR XeonR CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors...: Compatibility check is wrong.Installed processor is listed as compatible in windows processor requirements page but compatibility check records processor is unsupported.When will this be fixed? It has been unchanged now for months and windows update will not offer an upgrade...
  4. Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors: Why I can't install Windows 11 on this processor?Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/processor-intelr-coretm-i7-7700hq-cpu-280ghz-2801/2b086927-0c09-4764-b58b-33009437839f
  5. Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors: Why I can't install Windows 11 on this processor?Processor IntelR CoreTM i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2801 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Logical Processors https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/processor-intelr-coretm-i7-7700hq-cpu-280ghz-2801/2b086927-0c09-4764-b58b-33009437839f
  6. Memtest 86: 4 passes or 8?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Memtest 86: 4 passes or 8?: I'm trying to troubleshoot some issues with my computer. I've ran Memtest86 with 4 passes and zero errors. My RAM is 3600mHz CL16 16Gb (2x8Gb). Should I do 8 passes when I get home from work or would that be unnecessary? 166830
  7. will Windows 10 ever support 4 cores, 8 logical processors?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    will Windows 10 ever support 4 cores, 8 logical processors?: I am running Windows 7 on a 64 bit 4 core, 8 logical processor computer. I would like to go to Windows 10, but it is limited to 2 cores, 4 logicals. Does microsoft have any intention of advancing Windows 10 to 64 bit 4 cores 8 logical processors?...
  8. Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Limit application to 4 processors instead of 8: I recently built an internal file server for our office that uses Windows 10 Pro. The hardware is a Dell server with an Intel Xeon 4 core/8 processor chip. I have an application server software app that I pay an annual license fee for the use of it. I received a call from...
  9. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited: Windows 10 Pro 1803. The frequency and maximum load of the processor is limited, although the "High performance" power plan is included and there are no limits. Sometimes when I change power plan and reboot PC, the limiter is remove, but not for long time.[ATTACH]...
  10. Limiting applications that are on user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Limiting applications that are on user accounts: I would like to know who I can make it so that only the applications I have on my admin account show up on subsequent user accounts. My admin account is a Microsoft account and my user accounts are local. I just tried adding a user account but when I logged in, it looked...