Windows 10: Limit Memory Allocated to Cached

Discus and support Limit Memory Allocated to Cached in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My Windows OS and all hardware work great with 1.3GB of cached memory, but over time Windows will ask for more, without any good purpose. I don't want... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Adrenaline Seed, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Limit Memory Allocated to Cached

My Windows OS and all hardware work great with 1.3GB of cached memory, but over time Windows will ask for more, without any good purpose. I don't want to allow Windows to use more than it needs, I need the other memory for other applications, and if Windows Caches memory its gone forever, it never gives it back up, even to it's own services.

How can I just set a limitation on memory available for drivers. It doesn't take more than 1.3GB to run your hardware drivers, and it doesn't take more than 4GB to run an entire operating system. I am tired of Windows gobbling up 20GB between Cached and SVCHOST to run an OS.

:)

Adrenaline Seed, Aug 12, 2020
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Aug 12, 2020
  3. Windows 8.1 and 10 Enforced 32-bit memory allocation limitations.

I sent this post to Nvidia as well, so that both you and them can make some sort of update to your drivers. Because the forcing of a limit on memory allocation should not exist except solely through the application itself when it has reached it's own limit.
    Because naturally the program would shut down on it's own if it truly exceeded these limitations without needing additional help from an OS or a driver.

ZainHarper9, Aug 12, 2020
  4. Limit Memory Allocated to Cached

ALLOCATE System Memory For Video

Is this a Laptop or Desktop and what Make / Model / Service Tag?

What is the Total Memory in it ?

If its a Desktop with Integrated Graphics you may be able to allocate more memory to it within the BIOS.

If its a Desktop with a Accessory Dedicated Graphics Card added into it you should not have to.

OptiPlex 755

Service Tag: JQ0XBG1

|
    Express Service Code: 42932539441

|

Some Thoughts and Questions, read thru before answering. ( I am going by the Intel Configuration ).

1. What Form Factor is the DELL 755 Mini Tower / Desktop / Small Form Factor / Ultra Small Form Factor.
      Which one is yours ?
    2. Intel or AMD CPU and what CPU Clock Speed ?
    3. How many memory bays does the Motherboard have ( are all the bays full ) ?
    4. How much Total On-board Memory have you got ?
    5. What Operating System are you using , 32 or 64 Bit ?
    6. Using Integrated Graphics or a Graphic Card Add In ?
    Easy way to gather some more Information.

Go to the Start Globe and enter systems information.

Select Systems Information and open it.

Take a Snip or Screen Capture of the Systems Summary as well as
    Components > Display and post it to give us more of an idea of what it is using.

Considering its age and type of Form Factor it has various limitations as to its expandability as to Memory / Graphics and Operating System.

Integrated Graphics are listed as Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100.

The IGMA 3100 apparently was launched in May 2007 so quite old.

Only used Direct X 9.0C / open GL 2.0 / Shader Model 3.0.

Very limited in all its categories as to GPU Clock Speed / Shaders / TMU`s / ROPS.

Spec below.

Limit Memory Allocated to Cached 05c8ab9f-a27a-410a-942c-211ed82c6545?upload=true.jpg

It uses shared memory. ( How much On-board Memory do you have ) ?

Again going by the Spec dependent on what form factor you have the 755`s can have 2 or 4 Memory Expansion Bays.

This would mean it could only use between 4 Gigabyte ( 2 Memory Bay Expansion Ports ) and up to 8 Gigabyte ( 4 Memory Bay Expansion Ports ) of DDR2 Memory.

8 Gigabyte if the Operating System is Windows 64 Bit.

I hazard a guess that the Integrated Graphics are already configured to use maximum Memory allocation within the BIOS so i would come to the conclusion that this would not be the way to go.

For a bit more performance Graphic Wise i would suggest Topping out its Memory Allocation and Add a Dedicated PCI-E Graphics Card.

A dedicated Graphics Card would most certainly supercede the Integrated Graphics in all aspects including in API`s ( Application Programming Interface ).

Hope this helps some what.

Frank N St31n, Aug 12, 2020
Thema:

Limit Memory Allocated to Cached

1. Limit Memory Allocated to Cached - Similar Threads - Limit Memory Allocated

2. Windows memory allocation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows memory allocation: I have dell inspiron 15 , Ryzen 5 7000 series laptop. I am using windows 11.after installed Ubuntu 22.04, the memory allocation got reduced to 2GB usable out 8GB for Windows 11 .Kindly assist. As the windows 11 is getting many crashing errors and got the system slower....
  3. Windows memory allocation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows memory allocation: I have dell inspiron 15 , Ryzen 5 7000 series laptop. I am using windows 11.after installed Ubuntu 22.04, the memory allocation got reduced to 2GB usable out 8GB for Windows 11 .Kindly assist. As the windows 11 is getting many crashing errors and got the system slower....
  4. VmmemWSL Memory Allocation Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VmmemWSL Memory Allocation Issue: I've been using the Ubuntu app on my windows 11 laptop, after the most recent windows update I have had issues with VmmemWSL using all my RAM. Gone through wsl.config fixes and it's not working, it goes up to 7GB after just a few commands/python scripts.Please help!...
  5. VmmemWSL Memory Allocation Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VmmemWSL Memory Allocation Issue: I've been using the Ubuntu app on my windows 11 laptop, after the most recent windows update I have had issues with VmmemWSL using all my RAM. Gone through wsl.config fixes and it's not working, it goes up to 7GB after just a few commands/python scripts.Please help!...
  6. How can I limit standby/cache memory in windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How can I limit standby/cache memory in windows 10: HiWhen my PC starts up there is 7GB of memory set aside as cache/standby. As I use my PC through the day and over the course of a couple of days this goes up until there is around 25GB cached. When it gets to this point starting an application that requires a lot of memory...
  7. Limit Chrome Cache Size?

in Browsers and Email
    Limit Chrome Cache Size?: Chrome has started using 1.3GB for cache. Is there away of limiting the cache size used? 173286
  8. error: HAL MEMORY ALLOCATION

error: HAL MEMORY ALLOCATION: During start up, my laptop gives an error HAL MEMORY ALLOCATION, 0x000000AC and a blue screen. I have Lenovo ThinkPad T61, Windows 10 pro 64 bit, 2004. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-hal-memory-allocation/ed054c97-5087-497e-8b15-ea7cc2c49e53
  9. Memory Cache

Memory Cache: I have over 3 GB in cached memory on my laptop, and my system is running very slow. Should I clear this and how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-cache/21e6386b-7e09-4237-9c40-22e40271175d
  10. Slow memory allocation on Windows

Slow memory allocation on Windows: Hi, I have implemented a program and found out that the performance of allocation a lot of memory is severely limited on Windows. Allocating and reusing a single chunk of memory (10 MB) is actually fast, but initializing a lot of new memory (30 GB) is very slow and...