Windows 10: Limit Ownership to Drive C

Discus and support Limit Ownership to Drive C in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking Ownership of External Drives, and other Partition other than C: ? Thank you. 58095 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Adalwar, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Adalwar Win User

Limit Ownership to Drive C

Hi,
    Is there a way to prevent Windows from taking Ownership of External Drives, and other Partition other than C: ?
    Thank you.

:)

Adalwar, Jul 30, 2016

2. How do I log in as the "real" administrator?

First, storing dat in the root of "C" is dangerous and limited. You should NEVER store anything there. There are only a limited number of files/folders that can be stored in root

Is your user an administrator? (you can check in the user control panel>> win key +"X">control panel>user control panel) It will say administrator under your name

If you are an administrator you can "take ownership" of the files by the below. WARNING do not take ownership of the entire drive or you will break things

Windows 8: Take Ownership Of Files & Change Folder Permissions

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 30, 2016
  3. BigT1965 Win User
    What are these files 1bccc6a55feb06465f27253b879caa54_f820ab25-4d51-4e20-97d5-18f9cfca120f

These files are, in fact, owned by TrustedInstaller. I can change the ownership one file at a time but there are 490 of them. They are located in the C:\ root directory so I can't change the ownership of drive C because it wants to change every file
    in the drive. Is there any way to change the ownership of these files as a group?

BigT1965, Jul 30, 2016
Thema:

Limit Ownership to Drive C

1. Limit Ownership to Drive C - Similar Threads - Limit Ownership Drive

2. Lost access to C: drive after changing ownership

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lost access to C: drive after changing ownership: Hi, I've lost Access to my C: drive after changing ownership to administrator from TrustedInstallerI did this because all my drives were set to read-only after a W10 update. I tried to revert the change but since the administrator user is in C: drive I cannot even access...
  3. Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Corrupted User Account/C Drive and D Drive Ownership: [ATTACH] Hi, I am at my wits end, this issue has been ongoing for the pas few days and I have stayed up quite late to try and fix this with the help of some Microsoft Technicians online. I would like to thank the few technicians who were willing to help me over their...
  4. Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Took ownership of entire C:/ drive, will switching it back to TrustedInstaller fix it?: submitted by /u/Whyisnthillaryinjail [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gmy06t/took_ownership_of_entire_c_drive_will_switching/
  5. How to use cmd to reassign c drive ownership to trusted installer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How to use cmd to reassign c drive ownership to trusted installer?: I've had problems with my when I fixed it finally from are saltine recycle bin I had accidentally renamed the C drive since then it will not boot how can I use commands to restore permission to trustedinstaller for C drive...
  6. Limited disk space on C:\ drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Limited disk space on C:\ drive: I bought this Dell desktop from one of the local Microcenter stores, which was a returned item. It came with the C:\ drive supposedly being a flash drive with measly 95 gb of diskspace. I didn't realise it then, but it is making my computer starving for diskspace on C:\...
  7. Loss Of Drive Storage Limit on the C: drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss Of Drive Storage Limit on the C: drive: This might be hard to explain so an Image May help. The following shows my storage limits on each of my drives (The E and F drives or for backup). [ATTACH] As of Recently I have noticed that my main C: drive has had its storage limit drop down. When I had first gotten my...
  8. Issues after taking ownership of C:\

in Windows 10 Support
    Issues after taking ownership of C:\: Hi there. I've been rather stupid and transferred ownership of C:\, including system32, to my account (the administrator and only user). While I would instantly switch it back, due to an unrelated reason I restarted my computer (Surface Pro 4). Since then I've done research...
  9. Took Ownership over C Drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Took Ownership over C Drive: So I did something stupid and now my computer isn't running properly. Ever since I took ownership of the C Drive it takes over an hour, almost two, to boot up. Luckily for me this is the only problem I have noticed. I cannot revert back to original ownership (Trusted...
  10. how to change ownership of c drive to everyone?

in Windows 10 Support
    how to change ownership of c drive to everyone?: Is there a way to change ownership of the C drive to everyone? I tried right clicking, Security -> Add -> Everyone (check name showed ok), then set it to full control, and hit apply, but when I open a command prompt and type echo # > bla, it still fails?? I can see its...