Windows 10: Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

Discus and support Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by x509, Sep 9, 2019.

1. x509 Win User

Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter.

The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other drive. So when I plug in my specific external drive, it gets a different drive letter and I have to move drive letters around with Administrative tools, Disk Management, before I can run my scripts.

Any way to tell Windows to never give out some drive letters to a random USB drive?

:)

x509, Sep 9, 2019
  2. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Sep 9, 2019
  3. help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

maybe your USB drive is trying to assign a drive letter that is already taken.

goto

start > control panel > administrative tools > computer manager > disk manager

find your USB drive and assign is a drive letter

cjoyce1980, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Don Camp Win User

USB drive letter assignments

Long-winded background:

I have a USB flash drive that I assigned to drive D: in Disk Management. Occasionally when I'm not thinking, I plug it in when another external drive is connected and already assigned D: by Windows. The flash drive then gets reassigned as E:. I know I
    can switch it back to D: in Disk Management, but frankly my original reason for assigning a fixed letter is not such a big deal anymore. Is there a way to "undo" fixed letter assignments? I'd like to just let the drive float again.

TL;DR:

Once you assign a fixed drive letter in Disk Management, is there a way to "undo" and let the drive assignment float again?

Don Camp, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives? - Similar Threads - Limit range drive

2. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  3. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  4. Assigning Drive Letter

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Assigning Drive Letter: I am trying to assign a particular letter to one of my hard drives. None of my other drives are assigned that letter, but it is not listed in the choices. Is there something I can do?...
  5. stop win assigning usb drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    stop win assigning usb drive letter: How do I stop windows from assigning drive letters to unused USB ports? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/stop-win-assigning-usb-drive-letter/442d12f1-8165-4317-88ec-301d7d12c2fb
  6. Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?

Limit range of drive letters that can be assigned to USB drives?: I have these scripts that I use with some specific external drives, let's say I: and J:. the scripts require that the external drive always have the same letter. The issue is that if another USB drive was plugged in first, and Windows assigned either I: or J: to this other...
  7. Assign a drive letter

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Assign a drive letter: When I plug an external hard drive to my PC (Windows 10) via the USB, the computer does not recognize it in Windows Explorer. I have to go into Disk Management to assign the drive a letter before I can see it in Windows Explorer. Is there an option in Windows 10 to...
  8. Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives

Permanently assign drive letters for USB drives: Hi, I run a backup script to different USB drives at different times. The backup script always needs to see the same drive letter for the USB drive (whichever USB drive is being used). I know you can run compmgmt.msc, select Disk Management and then click 'Change...
  9. How to assign a range to drive letters in Windows 10.1

How to assign a range to drive letters in Windows 10.1: Greetings, Just one practical question. How do I assign a range of letters, that can be used for e.g. external flash disks, external ssd's/hdd's or memory cards? I have this nasty issue. I have two Network Attached Drives, on server. They work fine, D and E. But I also...
  10. USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent

USB Drive Letter Assignment not persistent: I have a removable USB HDD that I use for second-level backups. I plug it in to my system only for this purpose. Almost every time I plug it in, I have to use Administrative Tools to re-assign a drive letter. Is there anything else I should be doing so that Windows keeps that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows usb (disk|device) limit drive-letters