Windows 10: Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have 3 new laptops I am using for a business. They are all running Windows 10 Pro. I recall in earlier versions of Windows I could use gpedit to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MKJGMKJG, Jan 5, 2019.

1. MKJGMKJG Win User

Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro

I have 3 new laptops I am using for a business. They are all running Windows 10 Pro. I recall in earlier versions of Windows I could use gpedit to limit the number of items shown on the Start Menu, e.g. only show Internet Explorer and WSFTP. It would look like a very small menu, but it allowed me to limit what was seen. I could also limit what could be run so that Ctrl-Alt-Del couldn't bypass the limited Start Menu.

Is there a tutorial or doc that could help me set this up on Windows 10 Pro?

Thanks,

Michael

:)

MKJGMKJG, Jan 5, 2019
  2. groze Win User

Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?

In previous builds there was a higher limit or no limit. If the item listed was off-screen, you just scrolled whether or not the start menu was full size or not. In build 10130 there is a limit, not only that if you have a lower screen resolution there is even a lower limit. Kind of waste to have a start screen (Not app list) if you are going to limit on how much can be put on it. Might as well use the taskbar or desktop shortcuts.

groze, Jan 5, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jan 5, 2019
  4. Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro

Are you saying that your Start Screen does not scroll?

I haven't 'filled' mine up, but a vertical scroll bar does appear from time to time - just about the time when I can no longer open Start.

Try toggling Settings > Personalize > Start switches on or off - that brings my Start menu back to life. IT sometimes takes a toggle on followed by a toggle off. I don't know if this trick will help the scrolling issue though.

The issue where pin-to-start does nothing was occurring on this machine, but that seems to have settled down (probably because I pin less often now that most of the pgms are already there).
    I resorted to pinning things from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs or pinning the exe from Program Files.

The re-sizing bouncing tile issue - seems to be the last tile 'touched', so I always 'touch' 3d Builder last. By touch, I mean move or re size.

There definitely are some issues with Start in 10.0.130, but then there are new features and with that .... you know .... issues *Wink

Slartybart, Jan 5, 2019
Thema:

Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro

1. Limit Start Menu Items Shown in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Limit Start Menu

2. Unnamed Start Menu Item

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unnamed Start Menu Item: Hi, Under the "Other" section of my start menu is an item with no logo, "ms-resourceAppListName" which is a bit unsightly. If I click on it, it launches the People app. I can't find a way to restore the title and icon and it seems I can't uninstall the app even though I...
  3. Rename start menu item Windows 10

Rename start menu item Windows 10: I have installed different versions of an application but they all appear as "ABC application". How can I can name each one uniquely ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rename-start-menu-item-windows-10/db44fa34-1d71-4466-b7b9-94644bb88dc5
  4. add items in menu Start

add items in menu Start: Hi to whom it may concern. I know how to insert one icon in Start Menu or in application bar but I don't know to insert VLC media reader icon in the list of Apps at left of Start Menu. Could you tell me how to do it? Thank you and Best Regards, Dario...
  5. Start menu "recent items"

Start menu "recent items": Hi, I have "Show recently opened items in Jump Lists on Start or the taskbar" set to Off (in the Personalization -> Start section of PC seetings), but recently opened items still appear. If I turn the setting "On, and then "Off" again, it clears the lists. But ultimately,...
  6. Items shown by Start button

in Windows 10 Support
    Items shown by Start button: When I click the Start icon (bottom left) I get a vertical list containing the on/off, settings,and file manager. I am told that I could add Documents and Pictures to this list but I just don't know the right words to use to search for a way to make this happen. Can anyone...
  7. Start menu items...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start menu items...: When I started up, then rechecked the standard News and weather apps. were not working in the START menu. They were working fine yesterday. 110222
  8. Blank start menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Blank start menu items: See picture. For some reason many icons have no picture and are left blank. Any idea how to fix this? [img] 23700
  9. Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu?: Why is there a limit of items that can be pinned to the start menu? In previous builds there was a higher limit or no limit. If the item listed was off-screen, you just scrolled whether or not the start menu was full size or not. In build 10130 there is a limit, not only...
  10. Organizing Start Menu items

in Windows 10 Support
    Organizing Start Menu items: Hi. New to this forum, I was a previous member of the Seven Forums for years. I have just installed 10 and like what I see so far. Does anyone know how to: - Organize your Start Menu (i.e. delete folders and create your own folders). I am unable to right click to get...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows menu more than 16 items

2. windows 10 limit start menu

3. windos start menue search limitations