Windows 10: Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options

Discus and support Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I want to link my digital Windows license to an account, so I can reuse it after replacing a faulty mainboard. But when I try to do that, Windows tells... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Piflik, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Piflik Win User

Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options

I want to link my digital Windows license to an account, so I can reuse it after replacing a faulty mainboard. But when I try to do that, Windows tells me that I would have to use that account to log in to windows from then on, instead of the existing local one.

I do not want that. My Microsoft Account password is some random string that I don't know, only my Password Manager knows, and I need to log in to Windows to access that, since it is offline. I don't really want to even have a Microsoft account, but after already losing two digital Pro Licenses to the ether after reinstalling Windows on broken machines, I don't want to lose another one if I can help it, even if it is only a Home license.

Is it possible to link the license to an account without automatically changing anything else to the current system? Or save it anyway else when I replace the mainboard?

:)

Piflik, Sep 10, 2019

2. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options [​IMG]

MCardona81, Sep 10, 2019
  3. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

I'm having the same issue.

But I also have a device named "PC" in the device list now. It's just PC. I guess it appeared after the Anniversary update.

Before the update, I could see my computer on the MSA device list, even though I've been using local account. But now it appears only if I login to W10 using my Microsoft account. If I switch to local account, it disappears. But the "PC" stays there whether I use MSA or local acc.

So what's that "PC"? Any ideas?

It's also not cool that MS forcing people to use MS account to login their PCs. Activated devices were always in the device list even if you use local account before that so called update.

supertramp, Sep 10, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

Hello Steve, and welcome to Ten Forums. Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options :)

What build of Windows 10 do you currently have installed?

*Arrow https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...mber-find.html

Starting in build 14371, if you see this part highlighted in yellow below in Settings -> Update & security -> Activation from step 7 in the tutorial posted above, then the PC's digital license is linked to your MSA.

Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options [​IMG]

Brink, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Link Windows License to a Microsoft Account without changing login options - Similar Threads - Link License Microsoft

2. Change digital license linked to Microsoft account to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change digital license linked to Microsoft account to a new computer: Hey,I'm planning to buy a new computer,In my current computer I have a Windows 10,In the Activation settings I see there is this message: "Window is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".So my question is, is there an option to transfer my Windows...
  3. Change digital license linked to Microsoft account to a new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change digital license linked to Microsoft account to a new computer: Hey,I'm planning to buy a new computer,In my current computer I have a Windows 10,In the Activation settings I see there is this message: "Window is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account".So my question is, is there an option to transfer my Windows...
  4. Change digital license linked to Microsoft account to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  6. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing Login PIN without microsoft account: I bought my work computer from my employer when I left the company. Recently, my 5yo son has been making unauthorized purchases. I thought I would make him a new account with parental controls to prevent this going forward. I can change the password, but unfortunately he can...
  7. Changing Login PIN without microsoft account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Digital license linked to Microsoft account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital license linked to Microsoft account: I was using windows 10 home with digital license linked to my Microsoft account it was a retail license. I upgraded my system to windows 10 pro using retail license key. Which was linked to the same Microsoft account as Digital License. I want to know if I can choose which...
  9. No option to link microsoft account to windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No option to link microsoft account to windows: Is there anyway i can link it? just reactivated my pc after getting a new motherboard and want to link it so i dont have to buy another product key. Theres no "+ add account" or any tab thats called link account. submitted by /u/FreePvp [link] [comments]...
  10. Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Link a Microsoft Account to a Windows 10 license: I have a retail version of Windows 7 Pro Some time ago i took advantage to upgrade my o/s to Windows 10 . I currently sign into PC with a microsoft account. Motherboard on PC may be giving up on me so I wish to replace it. I have done a bit of research and it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. w10 device outlook link