Windows 10: Links do not appear in start menu search

Discus and support Links do not appear in start menu search in Cortana to solve the problem; I used to type the start menu entries as shortcut to open them. Windows just opened the search and offered me the right item. This does not work... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by olit2000, Jan 6, 2019.

1. olit2000 Win User

Links do not appear in start menu search

I used to type the start menu entries as shortcut to open them. Windows just opened the search and offered me the right item.

This does not work anymore (as it used to)

The problem seems to be only with start menu entries (who are .lnk files), though it does offer me entries from a different user (I checked by opening containing folder)

What I already tried

- rebuild index

- reset search indexer (by setting Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search\ SetupCompletedSuccessfully to 0 and reboot)

- run the troubleshooter (claims insufficient permissions but I manually enforced r/w permissions for that folder so that does not seem to be the real problem)

- I deleted the folder containing the index manually

- I controlled that I have read permissions for the start menu entries that do not show up

Does anybody hava an idea what I could try next?

[moved from German forums]

:)

olit2000, Jan 6, 2019

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Jan 6, 2019
  3. quick search does not contains link inside start menu

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I request you to follow the below Suggestions:

1. The Search bar in Widows 10 is more fast and easy. You can search your program by typing it in Search bar.

2. You can use the exact interface of Start menu of Windows 8 in Windows 10. Follow the steps below.

• Click Start menu and select "Settings".
    • Click on "Personalization" and select "Start".
    • Turn "Use Start full screen"
    I hope this helps you. If you have any further query in future, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Amit(Kumar), Jan 6, 2019
  4. Links do not appear in start menu search

Start Menu Search

Hi, Yes. I tried changing my primary SSD from MBR to GPT via Ease Us Partition Tool. All my other drives besides the main successfully converted but not my primary disk. When the application was trying to convert the disk I received a Kernal In Page Error.
    Hope this helps!

Heavenless, Jan 6, 2019
Thema:

Links do not appear in start menu search

1. Links do not appear in start menu search - Similar Threads - Links appear start

2. Search menu application icons do not appear

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Search menu application icons do not appear: After the last Windows update, I noticed that some applications do not have their icon in the search menu. It only happens with my account on all PCs. I have already deleted the account and created it again. It happens randomly. Sometimes it appears but then disappears...
  3. Search menu application icons do not appear

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search menu application icons do not appear: After the last Windows update, I noticed that some applications do not have their icon in the search menu. It only happens with my account on all PCs. I have already deleted the account and created it again. It happens randomly. Sometimes it appears but then disappears...
  4. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  5. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu type to search results window appearance: I'm working on a new PC configuration for a touchscreen HMI with no external keyboard with Windows 10 LTSC. This is an hardware upgrade from a previous configuration of Windows 10 LTSB. My problem is when I hit the start button and begin typing example bringing up task...
  6. Start menu type to search results window appearance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Installed applications do not appear in search menu

in Cortana
    Installed applications do not appear in search menu: Hi,I have tried all options to get the installed apps appear on search menu. I have tried the following but nothing works?1. Updated windows 10 , restarted2. From command prompt, ran windows powershell script can't find it either on menu3. Tried rebuilding indexing as in the...
  8. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  9. Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search

in Cortana
    Start menu shortcuts and settings not appearing in start menu search: When I start for Windows settings, such as personalisation, nothing appears. Additionally, shortcuts located in these two locations %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs will not appear in my search. What I...
  10. Missing icons in Start Menu search for custom link

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing icons in Start Menu search for custom link: Hello, I use multiple profiles with my Firefox browser so I created multiple links to the firefox.exe and appending "-P <profileName>" to it. It works fine, but when using the Start Menu search there are no icons. In the following screenshots you can see the search results...