Windows 10: Links don't open in default browser

Discus and support Links don't open in default browser in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have Firefox set as my default browser, but clicking on links opens Chrome instead of Firefox. Firefox is set as the default in Windows 10 and shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ksmmj, Sep 17, 2018.

1. ksmmj Win User

Links don't open in default browser

I have Firefox set as my default browser, but clicking on links opens Chrome instead of Firefox. Firefox is set as the default in Windows 10 and shows as the default in both Firefox and Chrome.

:)

ksmmj, Sep 17, 2018

2. Can`t set a default browser in Windows 10

Hello, I`ve been having an issue with setting my default internet browser in Windows 10 for about a month now.

When Windows starts, it asks me to select a default browser, I select Google Chrome from the list and it goes away.

Nothing happens and under default programs there is still no default browser listed.

Then, when I open my browser I am prompted by Chrome to make it my default.

The same Windows prompt appears again and I select Chrome from the list.

However, even after these steps every time I click on a link, I am asked to select a default browser.

Is there anyway to fix this issue?

Stephen_57, Sep 17, 2018
  3. Opening up mail link in Default browser

Hello

I run a website that includes a way to send email to members by clicking on an email link.

When one of my clients clicks on an email link on a web site that is supposed to open a compose message in her email program, nothing happens,

This is the page...
    Contact us | Gender Awareness in Language Education

if you want to test please use Web person
    only.

Her email is actually gmail (web mail). She said she can do it on an older machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier version, but not on this machine.

She was told it has to do with default settings. But since she can't get them to work, the workaround is to open up an email application (software.) But she would really like to have the default gmail open if possible.

She writes, "There are many Googlecentric explanations online about how to set Chrome as your default browser and Gmail as your default mail program on Windows 10, but they all break down at one crucial step. They say there should be an advanced setting in Chrome for Handlers to specify the mail program, but all I see is the toggle to choose whether or not to allow sites to ask to become default handlers, even though the screenshots in the Google help show there should be a button below that toggle saying Manage Handlers that opens a dropdown menu that lets you set mail to Gmail."

I am not a Windows person myself and so it is hard to troubleshoot. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.

paularenson, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Links don't open in default browser

Links wont open

Hi Caleb,

The challenge that you are experiencing with opening links that you click on can occur due to several reasons, such as, browser issues, hyperlink issues, etc. To better assist you, kindly answer the following questions:

• When did the issue start? Have you made any significant changes to your computer before the issue started?
    • What are the exact troubleshooting steps that you've taken so far? This is for us to avoid providing the same steps.
    • What's your default browser? Have you tried setting up a different browser as your default browser?

We look forward to your response.

Joshua Her1, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

Links don't open in default browser

1. Links don't open in default browser - Similar Threads - Links don't open

2. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stop edge from opening links and use default browser: What is MS's problem with respecting my wishes to use a browser other than Edge to open links. Since this last update Edge is opening more for other links than usually. It was annoying before and now it is unbearable. I have my preferences, and Microsoft is not one of them in...
  3. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Stop edge from opening links and use default browser: What is MS's problem with respecting my wishes to use a browser other than Edge to open links. Since this last update Edge is opening more for other links than usually. It was annoying before and now it is unbearable. I have my preferences, and Microsoft is not one of them in...
  4. Stop edge from opening links and use default browser

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Don't want Edge as my default browser

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Don't want Edge as my default browser: Why does Microsoft keep asking me to make "Edge" the default browser & if I want to try the latest version? Despite using another browser as my default & turning off the setting for it to continue asking me if I'd like to try it, I'm still asked every time I open Microsoft....
  6. How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge

in Windows 10 News
    How to open News and Interests links in your default browser; Not Edge: A couple of days back, Microsoft announced that it will be rolling out its new feature, News and Interests for Windows 10. Although the announcement of the feature was made in January earlier this year, it is only now that people would be able to get their hands on it....
  7. Site's video links don't open in Win 10 browsers

in Browsers and Email
    Site's video links don't open in Win 10 browsers: For the past few days, I've been getting an email newsletter from Brownstone Research. Those newsletters typically contain a links to a video or two. With my iPad Mini 2, the latter play in Safari, but on my Win 10 desktop the loading spiral appears for an instant, then...
  8. Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser: Unable to Open links in mail, edge is default browser. I have always had them open in edge when I clicked on them, now they say Unable to Open [html], I checked that edge is still my default browser....
  9. Opening up mail link in Default browser

in Browsers and Email
    Opening up mail link in Default browser: Hello I run a website that includes a way to send email to members by clicking on an email link. When one of my clients clicks on an email link on a web site that is supposed to open a compose message in her email program, nothing happens, This is the page......
  10. How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    How to set MS Office 2016 to open links in Firefox (default browser)?: Howdy: How do I configure MS Office 2016 Pro Plus (specifically Word, but also PPT, Excel, Pub) to open embedded hyperlinks in my default browser, Firefox, under Win10/Pro? Yes, Firefox is properly configured everywhere I know to look as the default browser. Edge is...