Windows 10: Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer

Discus and support Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; Hello, My first post in this forum. I recently changed to W10 from W7. Now when I click on a link in an email, I am always taken to my internet... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by Badcompany, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer

Hello,

My first post in this forum.

I recently changed to W10 from W7. Now when I click on a link in an email, I am always taken to my internet browser, Internet Explorer.

(The forum registration link had to be pasted into IE so I could complete registration to this forum.)

How do I resolve this issue please?

Many thanks

Badco. *Smile

:)

Badcompany, Aug 1, 2016

2. Why does Outlook 2013 sometime cuts off long site URL links sent in email to myself ONLY when using Internet Explorer's File>Send>'Link by Email'?

So it definitely has something to do with how Internet Explorer 11 handles forwarding site links to only certain email addresses since most of them came through in the emails perfectly.

Jeff A. Davis, Aug 1, 2016
  3. Sweet4815 Win User
    Internet not working on lumia 520!!

When I tap on the internet explorer icon it fails to open and just refreshes the home menu. When I try to click a link on an email it goes to a "resuming..." screen and goes back to the email without opening the link. I have checked my internet connection
    and it is working fine, the internet app is just not working, how can I fix this? Also I've tried resetting but that did not fix the problem.

Sweet4815, Aug 1, 2016
  4. Samuria Win User

Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer

Welcome to the forum what do you want to happen with the links is what do you want to open with them?

Samuria, Aug 1, 2016
  5. Hello Samuria,
    Thank you for replying.

Previously with W7, I would receive an email from Readers Digest for their daily prize draw, click the link and you would go to the Readers Digest prize draw, receive an email from the Help for Heroes charity, click the link and you would go to the Help for Heroes page, receive an email from a motorcycling forum, click a link and you would go to the forum, and so on. That is just three examples. Since the change to W10, ALL email links open up the IE home page.

I do not think the issue is with the change in OS, it is probably a setting somewhere?

Badco.

Badcompany, Aug 1, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, how do you receive your email?
    - in a POP3 email client?
    - by web mail in a browser?

What happens if you right click the link, then click 'Copy link location' or similar (the text depends on the program you're using) and then paste that into your browser address bar? Presumably that opens the appropriate page.

Configuring hypertext links to open in your chosen browser:

Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer [​IMG]

Hi, to configure hypertext so clicking on such links works, you will probably find you need to use the old control panel. That's what I found, as choosing a default browser when I originally did that did not include hypertext links. I don't know if that's been fixed in the last year or so- I've not seen a report of someone having trouble with it for about that time.

However, your issue seems strange in that you say it opens only the home page.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    Can you change IE's Home Page in Tools, Internet Options or Control Panel, Internet Options? I do it by first getting to the site I wish to use, DuckDuckGo, and set it as the first page IE [or other browser] opens when started or when clicking the Home icon.

Berton, Aug 1, 2016
  8. Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer

Hello Dalchina,
    Thank you for replying.
    You were on the right track. For some reason, hypertext links were configured to open IE. I used the Change Program feature to select Microsoft Edge and now the links open the programs/pages that they should.

If I should be using another default program instead of Microsoft Edge, please let me know.

Email is a POP 3 client through Microsoft Outlook.

Thank you for your help.

Badco.

Badcompany, Aug 1, 2016
  9. dalchina New Member
    Great.. it's disconcerting this Windows bug still remains. Maybe it'll be fixed in the Anniversary upgrade.

Edge will be enhanced in that to accept a limited set of extensions (via the store) (presently none), but if you want more flexibility you still need a 3rd party browser unless IE meets your needs.
    What's new with Microsoft Edge for Windows 10 Anniversary Update | Windows Central
    Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 are even better together in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update | Microsoft Edge Dev Blog
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update Review: Microsoft polishes its OS

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer

1. Links In Emails Only Connect To Internet Explorer - Similar Threads - Links Emails Connect

2. Internet connected but only kind of.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet connected but only kind of.: When I boot up my computer everyhting goes normally and then I can launch and even talk in Discord, but Steam won't connect, Chrome cant complete a search, it is like I have no connection outside of discord really. I am ethernet connected and my network should be more than...
  3. Internet connected but only kind of.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet connected but only kind of.: When I boot up my computer everyhting goes normally and then I can launch and even talk in Discord, but Steam won't connect, Chrome cant complete a search, it is like I have no connection outside of discord really. I am ethernet connected and my network should be more than...
  4. Internet connected but only kind of.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Links on Emails not connecting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Links on Emails not connecting: After clicking on a hyperlink from the Mail App. version of Hotmail a msg. comes up stating cannot connect and thats it. Presumably I've clicked on some option somewhere that inadvertently has this outcome but have little idea where to start....
  6. Internet explorer connection

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Internet explorer connection: Internet explorer will not connect. I do not get an error message. When I type a website in the search engine it does nothing. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-explorer-connection/72b03f78-88e8-47ba-b99a-b339cabac57d
  7. How To Disable Internet Explorer From Opening Apps (Email Links)?

in Browsers and Email
    How To Disable Internet Explorer From Opening Apps (Email Links)?: I have created a web kiosk using internet explorer. The only remaining problem I am having is that by tapping on email links I get the following popup: [img] How do I disable internet explorer from opening any outside program (such as email) and preventing such popups...
  8. How do I make internet explorer the default browser in an email link?

in Browsers and Email
    How do I make internet explorer the default browser in an email link?: I went into default apps in settings and chose internet explorer. Shortcuts on the desktop and links within web pages all open with internet explorer. However when I click on a link in an email it asks me to choose a browser and lists the 3 that are on this computer. How do I...
  9. Explorer + no internet connection

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer + no internet connection: Today i turned on my pc and the explorer.exe error appeared, i refreshed the screen and the icons appeared , but the start button didn't work , i tried to make troubleshoot but nothing... the worst part is that i can't acces the internet. Is there a way to star windows...
  10. Sharing Internet Explorer Links

in Windows 10 Support
    Sharing Internet Explorer Links: What's the best way to share links from Internet Explorer in Windows 10? I have seen how to do it using the Charms bar in Windows 8 but that functionality seems to be gone in Windows 10. Thanks, 10439