Windows 10: Links in the user's start menu are not executed

Discus and support Links in the user's start menu are not executed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there, The title says it all: The two links in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are not executed at startup as they should... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mQ573, Apr 17, 2017.

1. mQ573 Win User

Links in the user's start menu are not executed

Hi there,

The title says it all: The two links in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup are not executed at startup as they should be.

But I have no issue navigating to the folder and 2-clicking on each link.

TIA

:)

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017

2. My start menu icons aren't showing up properly!

I have same problem, the start menu is not working. when you click it , nothing happened. Microsoft edge and store icon are missing on the taskbar.

start menu not working, Apr 17, 2017
  3. Roy Sch Win User
    Windows 10 refuses to add a link to the All apps menu

I am trying to make a link to a stand alone executable (comes with no installer) in the All apps menu. The link is for a game called Massive Chalice. I tried putting the link in this folder:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

or alternatively to this folder:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

but in both cases instead of adding to the All apps list the link got pinned as a tile to the start menu. Even after restarting, the link was still not on the list.

So I contacted the Microsoft chat help who took over my computer and tried a few things until they gave up and came to the conclusion that an executable has to be installed in order to be able to appear in the All apps menu, so a standalone executable like
    I have will not do that. I said this is a major bug and should not be that way, but as far as I was concerned this was the current answer to this problem.

But as it happens, today I got another standalone executable (of a game called Armikrog) which also has no installer. I put it in the same location, made a shortcut and put the shortcut in the same folder as the previous one and miraculously it appeared
    in the All apps menu, with no start menu tile in sight.

So now I'm baffled... Why does one shortcut arrive to All apps while the other makes a tile instead?

Edit: I should mention that I only have about 350 links in the All apps menu so the 512 programs bug is not relevant to me.

Roy Sch, Apr 17, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Mine do.

What are your two links? We'd need to know what they are supposed to do before we can try and see why they're not working.

5. Edwin New Member
    Perhaps they're disabled in Task Manager/Startup

Edwin, Apr 17, 2017
  6. mQ573 Win User
    No, they aren't.
    @Bree: Would you care explaining why you need to know what the programs are doing when I explicitely said that both links are working?

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  7. Bree New Member
    @mQ573 - because the word 'link' could mean almost anything, it's usually used to refer to an Internet shortcut.

I don't know what you mean by the word 'link', it's not one usually applied to startup items. It could be a shortcut to an executable, a batch file actually in the startup folder, or even that internet shortcut. Each could have its own different problem. Without more details anything we say would just be a stab in the dark.

Precisely what it is trying to open may give a clue too, it may be something that depends on services or an executable that haven't started up yet.

8. Edwin New Member

- Are they portable apps?
    - Has the executable path been broken or corrupted?
    - Have you tried creating the same links in Program Data/Startup folder?

Edwin, Apr 17, 2017
  9. mQ573 Win User
    @Bree: O.K., shortcuts to stand-alone executable s would have been a better description.

Paths aren't broken since clicking on the shortcuts executes the programs.

Creating shortcuts directly in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup is not allowed, but copying the shortcuts works. I mean the copying works but the links are still not executed at startup.

And things were working alright before I had the laptop accidentally set in Tablet mode.

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  10. Bree New Member
    OK, now we have something to work on (particularly that 'Tablet' bit). I can now try to reproduce the problem.

No, you can't create shortcuts in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. That's the 'All Users' start-up folder and windows only expects setup packages to copy their shortcuts to it. Creating 'links' there (well, anywhere in Start Menu\Programs actually) is presumably blocked to prevent malware writing their own there. You're allowed to create folders - that's all, anything else must be copied there.

There is another Start-up folder, the 'per User' one. That's the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup that you mentioned in the first post. You CAN create shortcuts directly in that one, it is after all 'your' folder to do with as you wish.

Which one are you actually having this problem with? Have you tried them both?

11. mQ573 Win User
    None worked.

I just tried the All Users' startup menu at Edwin's suggestion.

My original setup was involving the user's one (And that's the one I want).

This tablet mode setting seems to have brought up a lot of changes....

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    I have now tried creating a shortcut in my start-up folder, and copied a different shortcut into the All Users one. Both worked when I logged out and back in again. Then I switched to Tablet mode and logged out then in, both worked. Switched Tablet mode off and they still work.

All changes when you switch to Tablet mode should be reversed when you switch it off again. Try switching Tablet mode on, then turn it off again. Perhaps it will properly undo the changes on a second attempt.

If you have fast start up turned on, this could be preserving an error that crept into the system configuration. Try a Restart, this will perform a full start up of Windows from cold, it doesn't use fast start up.

What version of windows does Winver say you have? My tests were done on the Creators Update, version 1703, OS build 15063.138.

13. mQ573 Win User

Using W10 1511 10586.494, much older than yours. Maybe MS fixed the tablet mode, like in New and Improved. *Wink

It might be a little detail, like Task Manager opening with an empty window since no Apps were running instead of listing all processes.

Anyway I found a solution: Deleting the two shortcuts and recreating them worked.

Thank you both for your help.

mQ573, Apr 17, 2017
  14. Bree New Member
    That's old, even for 1511, 10586.494 was the July 2016 build. You should be on 10586.873 by now.

Glad you got it to work, but I'd worry about you not getting the updates.

@mQ573, you seem to have stopped at July, in August you should have received the Anniversary Update to 1607. If you deliberately chose to stick on 1511 then there are better ways to do that than disabling windows updates. You can hide individual updates, including the Features Updates like 1607 and 1703. That way you can leave windows update turned on and continue getting vital security and bug-fix updates.

Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10

I use it on my test machine (system two in my 'specs'). It has system images for all versions, back to the original 10240 release. Each earlier version has the features updates hidden.

Thema:

1. Links in the user's start menu are not executed - Similar Threads - Links user's start

2. Older Executable -- how to move to Start Menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Older Executable -- how to move to Start Menu: I came across an older executable that seems to run fine on WinX so I'd like to put it onto the Start Menu but I can't figure out how to do that. Can you help? 10.0.19042 176677
  3. Another User: Taskbar Empty, Apps/Start Menu Not Starting

in Windows 10 Support
    Another User: Taskbar Empty, Apps/Start Menu Not Starting: Hello, So I recently updated my computer to 20H2 (W10 Pro 19042.630). Also, I removed the video card (GTX 670) and blew out dust from inside the case. Long story short. What's not happening is that when I login to any account, that account loads just fine. But when I attempt...
  4. Missing icons in Start Menu search for custom link

in Windows 10 Customization
    Missing icons in Start Menu search for custom link: Hello, I use multiple profiles with my Firefox browser so I created multiple links to the firefox.exe and appending "-P <profileName>" to it. It works fine, but when using the Start Menu search there are no icons. In the following screenshots you can see the search results...
  5. Links do not appear in start menu search

in Cortana
    Links do not appear in start menu search: I used to type the start menu entries as shortcut to open them. Windows just opened the search and offered me the right item. This does not work anymore (as it used to) The problem seems to be only with start menu entries (who are .lnk files), though it does offer me...
  6. All apps in Start menu missing some links/app

in Windows 10 Customization
    All apps in Start menu missing some links/app: To start some apps I put my personal links in a folder created in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". For example as administrator in DOS box md "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\My_Apps" copy *.lnk...
  7. win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    win+X menu: nothing starts/runs/executes: when i press win+X, there is popup menu when i click menu items just nothing happens, be it PowerShell, Programs and features or something other. just Search, Desktop and Shut Down works. the menu is pretty nice tho, i could use some functions from there with pleasure!...
  8. Issue with user folders link in start menu !

in Windows 10 Support
    Issue with user folders link in start menu !: Hello everybody, I'm desesperated because after spent already 5 hours, i can't get it solved... Here is my issue : I was in my users folders & deleted them (Download, Favorites, Videos etc...) Then, i realized that my start menu which has option to "ON" to make them...
  9. Not able to search executables or pinned Start apps from Start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Not able to search executables or pinned Start apps from Start menu: I'm running the RTM on a netbook and have noticed that, unlike in Windows 7/8/8.1, I'm no longer able to hit Start and type in an executable. I have a bunch of portable apps that I typically type in and pull up. Now, the Start menu search pulls up ever OTHER file except the...
  10. Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Closes if User Account Selected: Ok, so I am having a strange problem. In my PC's admin account, when I attempt to switch users by: Start Menu > (click user account) The start menu disappears / rolls back down. I cannot switch users this way, but this only affects my admin account. What can I do to make...