Windows 10: Links keep opening in new tab

Discus and support Links keep opening in new tab in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi everyone. Recently I have been experiencing something new on my surface laptop 3. Previously, when I click on a website, for example, it would open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/anonymoose43210, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Links keep opening in new tab

Hi everyone.

Recently I have been experiencing something new on my surface laptop 3. Previously, when I click on a website, for example, it would open in the same tab. However, recently, whenever I click on a link or website, it opens in a new tab resulting in so many tabs being open when I am working on a project.

Is there a way to revert back to the old way where the link would open in the same tab?

I would appreciate any advice!

submitted by /u/anonymoose43210
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/anonymoose43210, Nov 5, 2020

2. "Open link in new tab" opens a new tab but also replaces the page I was on

Hi Bob,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you are facing issues with Internet Explorer. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

To assist you better, please provide the information:

• When you say that "Whenever I click open link in new tab", are you referring of opening link in the new tab or clicking on link in a particular page to open in new tab?
    • When you say that "the link opens in a new tab but also in the page I'm on", is the link opens in the new tab near to the open websites?

I suggest you to send the screenshot of the issue in the next post.

How to include a screenshot in your post:

How to include a screenshot in your post

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 5, 2020
  3. Bagshot77 Win User
    Edge not opening links in new tab

Both suggestions just open the link in a new window.

The only way I can open a link in a new tab is by right-clicking on the link and selecting the option, but I never had to do this before. It's only recently that Edge has started doing this. Is anyone else having this issue or is it just me?

I prefer my links to open in a new tab; there's very little point in opening them in a whole new window as things soon get messy.

Thanks.

Bagshot77, Nov 5, 2020
  4. Links keep opening in new tab

"Open link in new tab" opens a new tab but also replaces the page I was on

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your response with the current status of the issue.

I like to inform you that when you we open a new tab for a link, then it will open beside the main page or current

page from where you have tried to open the link.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "but also will open in the tab I'm already on", what exactly are you referring to? Is the new tab open beside the main page or other pages?

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

Links keep opening in new tab

1. Links keep opening in new tab - Similar Threads - Links keep opening

2. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  3. Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Middle mouse button not opening links in a new tab: I have a Steelseries Aerox 3, recently the middle click has completely stopped working and I am wondering if its Windows or the mouse, I've looked on various sites for a fix to this but none work or even apply to me. I know ctrl click and other stuff like that exist, but its...
  4. browser opening new tab when trying to open links

in Browsers and Email
    browser opening new tab when trying to open links: Hi, Not sure if this is the right thread, but here goes. My issue is this: whenever I click on a web site shortcut, whether in my task bar or on my desktop, my browser opens a new tab with my browser home page, rather than going directly to the web site I'm after. This...
  5. Chrome Opens a new tab links to suspicious website, is this a virus?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome Opens a new tab links to suspicious website, is this a virus?: Hello, chrome keeps randomly opening new tabs to the link: s1.toupdate15.com, I figured it is some kind of a virus or a software that I have to uninstall off my conputer but I don’t know how to locate it and permanently delete it. [Original Title: Virus??]...
  6. Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab: Hello, I can not find a solution to this and I was hoping someone would know the answer. I have users in my company that are complaining about a URL link opening in the same tab. This causes what they were working on to be erased. Let me provide more detail: These users are...
  7. Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chrome keeps opening new tab with spam sites: I think I’m seriously going crazy with this problem. Google Chrome keeps opening new tab with some spam sites (mostly https://go.mobiforth.com) but also some other weird stuff. I searched around the web and I feel like I tried almost every possible solution that I found, but...
  8. Open in New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Open in New Tab: I have been using Chrome for a long time but I thought I would give Edge a try. In Chrome I am used to right-click a site and select "Open in New Tab". Is this possible in Edge? If yes, how? A right-click on a favorite does not offer me a menu in Edge as in Chrome. Thanks in...
  9. Mail app and web page links not opening new tab

in Browsers and Email
    Mail app and web page links not opening new tab: This is probably something dumb I've done, but I can't figure it out. emails in Mail used to open web links (http and https) in a new tab in my FF browser. Now, they open on the current tab. Not sure whether it's a Mail setting or a FF setting; both have been updated, so...
  10. How to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab.

in Browsers and Email
    How to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab.: There seems no way to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab. It either opens in the existing tab or creates a new closed tab, depending on which mouse button you use. 13145