Windows 10: Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

Discus and support Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Since the last Windows update, any shortcuts I have in my Links toolbar on the task bar that aren't folders now pop up a Security Warning prompt as it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GoAwayMicrosoft123, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

Since the last Windows update, any shortcuts I have in my Links toolbar on the task bar that aren't folders now pop up a Security Warning prompt as it tries to open the .lnk version of the shortcut.The shortcuts are located in C>User>name>Favourites>Favourites Bar.This was working fine before the last update, where clicking on any shortcut or file would open it directly as if I clicked on a shortcut, but now it always asks me if I want to open this file which is starting to defeat the whole point of having the shortcut To reduce clicks and give quicker accessDesktop shortcuts

:)

GoAwayMicrosoft123, Nov 15, 2022
  2. sixt5cuda Win User

Windows 10 lost my pinned OneDrive file links on the task bar

First, my files are not missing, I simply cannot access them the same way I did with Windows 8 and 8.1

Correct behavior from Windows 8.1:

1) Open Windows Explorer

2) Find and open Notepad file "Notes.txt" located in a OneDrive folder

3) Notepad is pinned to the task bar

4) Right-click on Notepad icon in task bar

5) List of recent files appears, including files recently opened on OneDrive

6) Right-click on "Notes.txt", left-click on Pin To This List

7) "Notes.txt" is now quickly accessible from the list of files in the Notepad list on the task bar

Under Windows 10, step 5 is broken. Files located on OneDrive never appear in the list of recent items for a pinned application on the task bar. This behavior is duplicated on the Start Menu Jump List.

Under Windows 8.1, I had many pinned documents connected to applications on my task bar. As soon as Windows 10 booted the first time, these links disappeared. Links to documents on the desktop or in my local Documents folder, remained linked to task bar
    applications.

Has anyone else seen this behavior, or is it just my computer?

sixt5cuda, Nov 15, 2022
  3. How can I place web page links on Win10 Task Bar that will open in Edge? Did a recent Update break this?

All,

I have an i7 Surface Pro 4. November update.

Win7 allowed us to place a web link on the task bar. I used it to go directly to Google Calendar and Google G-Mail inbox.

Several commentators writing earlier this summer list steps that require opening in Internet Explorer to display the little "draggable" icon (for the desired site) above the content. Then this is dragged off to the desktop. They suggest that right clicking
    this now-dropped icon/link will allow me to pin. I do not get offered that option. Contrary to their results, the icon *will* attach itself to the task bar but still invoke Internet Explorer.

How can I place a URL on the task bar?

jonathan7007

jonathan7zerozero7, Nov 15, 2022
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

.lnk files

Hi again Taffy,

lnk files are basically the shortcuts (icons) you use to start the software you have installed on your PC

If those files are on your Desktop and you delete them, you would need to access those files from the Start Menu instead or add a shortcut to your Taskbar to access those

DaveM121, Nov 15, 2022
Thema:

Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

1. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly. - Similar Threads - Links shortcuts task

2. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  3. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  4. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.: Since the last Windows update, any shortcuts I have in my Links toolbar on the task bar that aren't folders now pop up a Security Warning prompt as it tries to open the .lnk version of the shortcut.The shortcuts are located in C>User>name>Favourites>Favourites Bar.This was...
  5. Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.

Links shortcuts on task bar opening .lnk instead of the file directly.: Since the last Windows update, any shortcuts I have in my Links toolbar on the task bar that aren't folders now pop up a Security Warning prompt as it tries to open the .lnk version of the shortcut.The shortcuts are located in C>User>name>Favourites>Favourites Bar.This was...
  6. Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied: I need your help with this shortcut link that I try to correct but I didn't. What I did is to right-click the desktop shortcut link of Microsoft Train Simulator (outdated but still can run the game) to Properties of this link. Then I change the line in Target box to add "...
  7. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  8. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  9. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  10. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder: Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the...