Windows 10: Linux Bigot --Maybe Me -- but why does Windows NEED a registry

Discus and support Linux Bigot --Maybe Me -- but why does Windows NEED a registry in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Folks Using Linux for YEARS with decent security -- and all though I like and use Windows too -- why on earth does Windows need a Registry either... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jimbo45, Feb 19, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Bigot --Maybe Me -- but why does Windows NEED a registry

Hi Folks

Using Linux for YEARS with decent security -- and all though I like and use Windows too -- why on earth does Windows need a Registry either to keep security or check registration of "Paid For" software.

There's plenty of "Paid For" software available for Linux that doesn't seem to require any sort of "Registry and licenses work OK".

Linux paid for Licences seem to work too -- so what's the point of "The Registry". (Although most software is actually FREE on LINUX there's still a few commercial paid for products that aren't hideous either !!!)

Look Folks I Like Windows-- but I don't get this whole registry thing.

Any Widows Gurus here who can expain the point of it -- be glad to hear.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 19, 2020
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Feb 19, 2020
  3. Switch to Linux ??

Find a suitable Linux forum and request comments from people who converted from Linux to Windows, in particular on

• Stability
    • Ease of use
    • Availability of external help in case of trouble
    • Availability of applications, games
    • Data exchange with the Windows world

Frederik Long, Feb 19, 2020
  4. Linux Bigot --Maybe Me -- but why does Windows NEED a registry

Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Feb 19, 2020
Thema:

Linux Bigot --Maybe Me -- but why does Windows NEED a registry

1. Linux Bigot --Maybe Me -- but why does Windows NEED a registry - Similar Threads - Linux Bigot Maybe

2. Why has Microsoft allowed MSN community comments to be so racist and bigoted?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why has Microsoft allowed MSN community comments to be so racist and bigoted?: I get a lot of the work is done by AI, which is amusing because all that tells me is there are some real bigots and racists programming the AI Microsoft uses. It's so amazing that even calling out racism and bigotry without ever directing an insult at the person engaging in...
  3. Windows Update not working - maybe corrupted Registry 20H2 19042.1052

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Update not working - maybe corrupted Registry 20H2 19042.1052: I was following this post, and I seem to have an very similar problem. SFC and DISM are not working, I can't see any Windows features when I try to disable them, and even trying to do a Repair install with an In-place upgrade isn't working. I've attached logs of every thing I...
  4. Windows registry help needed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows registry help needed: [ATTACH] Hi all, I have been trying to shorten the keyboard backlight timeout on my laptop but I am having no luck. As you can see in the image taken from the registry, the default value is 3c or 60 seconds. Any attempt tp alter this value to less than 60 seconds has the...
  5. Maybe someone can help me

Maybe someone can help me: I have a ssd where my windows is on and my hdd. I discovered today that there were some random folders on my hdd. I cleaned some of them which didnt make sense, but there were 2 folders system and system64. Anyone know why they are there? There was also some thing called Mono...
  6. Need some solid linux/wsl > windows registry help

in Windows 10 Customization
    Need some solid linux/wsl > windows registry help: Yeap, no idea where else to turn on this one. I've spent a good 9 hours today, two purges/formats/image restorations on my pc's - all in an attempt to get this working. Ive used Proper Bash Scripting on Windows: Associate SH Scripts to WSL (Windows 10) (Enable drag-and-drop...
  7. Maybe it’s a windows issue? I need help

Maybe it’s a windows issue? I need help: submitted by /u/finnkirsh [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ecmn9m/maybe_its_a_windows_issue_i_need_help/
  8. Why does Cortana need me to sign in to my MIcrosoft account?

in Cortana
    Why does Cortana need me to sign in to my MIcrosoft account?: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4046854/cortana-use-microsoft-account I don't like this policy!!! Corporate rules don't allow me to change my login to microsoft account You need to be more flexible in your software design!!!...
  9. Why does Action Center tell me "Windows Defender needs to scan?"

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why does Action Center tell me "Windows Defender needs to scan?": It's my understanding that Defender scans according to Microsoft's maintenance schedule. But I get a notice in the Action Center that "Windows Defender needs to scan." My last scan occurred 4-5 days ago when I noticed the alert. Is it possible that since my computer is...
  10. Does This Registry Need Attention?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Does This Registry Need Attention?: Out of curiosity I ran CCleaner on the registry in G's HP Laptop. Little machine has never had an issue of any kind and runs well. Gets very limited use, mostly checking her bank account now and then. There are 908 lines of this : Installer Reference Issue +...