Windows 10: Linux can see drive but Win10 can't

Discus and support Linux can see drive but Win10 can't in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I took a drive from a Win7 laptop and hooked it to an external dock on a Win10 PC to copy a large number of files. I've done this hundreds of times... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by rastoma, Dec 18, 2019.

1. rastoma Win User

Linux can see drive but Win10 can't

I took a drive from a Win7 laptop and hooked it to an external dock on a Win10 PC to copy a large number of files. I've done this hundreds of times across lots of PC's for years across various Win versions, including dozens of different PC's on Win10.

I replaced the drive back into the Win7 laptop and it booted up perfectly as I expected it to. The user boots it up later and it wants to run a repair. She let the repair run for a couple of hours and then forced it off.

I made an Acronis backup of the drive after she brought it back. If I restore that backup to another drive I get the same results as below:

The laptop will now only boot to a black screen with a mouse cursor that moves. Sticky keys won't work nor will ctrl-alt-del. Safe mode shows the same behavior.

If I hook the drive back to the external dock, Win10 will see a drive letter but it just says NTFS and can't access the drive. If I boot a PC using Hiren's reloaded disk into WinXP which from what I understand is basically Linux underneath, I can see the drive, it's directory and access the contents.

So I can copy the data but I really would like to have the full drive accessible inside Win if possible due to some other things I need to do.

chkdsk won't run, it says a pending operation is waiting. I can't clear the flag using dism. It says it completes but chkdsk still gives the same msg about a pending operation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to repair the directory so that Win can see the drive again?

If I can get Win to see the drive I can run Zinstall migration over a clean install and hopefully get most of the software working again without a day or longer of manual installs.

:)

rastoma, Dec 18, 2019
  2. Silverel Win User

Guide: How to enable, use, and configure SLI on Linux.

I guess the next logical step would be to report on the performance you can get with SLI in Linux. That'd be my suggestion anyway.

Silverel, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Amit_Sun Win User
    Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not accessable in Windows 10 using external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the file partition format type of your external drive?

As Linux and Windows they work on different file system, when the files are migrated from Linux base system to Windows OS, most of the files that are not supported could be hidden, I suggest you to follow the steps below to further
    narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Check the hard drive in different computer.

I suggest you to check the hard drive in a different computer and check if you still face the issue.

If the same issue persists on different computer then the issue might be with the hard drive itself, I suggest you to contact the local tech and get the drive checked.

Method 2: Run Check disk.

Run the check disk command to repair the hard drive and fix the bad sectors.

1. Search for Command Prompt on the start menu.
    2. Right click and Run as Administrator.
    3. Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x where
      C: represents the drive letter for the hard drive change the drive letter according to your system and hit enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might
    be lost.

Method 3: Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

I suggest you refer to this article
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

download and run the troubleshooter to fix the issue with USB detection.

Method 4: uninstall USB drivers.

1. If you still face the issue and the hard drives throws the error again, you can refer the article

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend
      and check if this helps you.
    2. Reboot the computer once after the steps are completed.

Method 5: Backup your data on Linux OS.

As the drive is compatible with Linux system, I suggest you to backup your data on any Linux computer first.

Method 6: Check for hidden files.

Some Linux files that are not readable by Windows are sometimes hidden in Windows, you can follow the below steps to unhide them and access the data.

1. If you are able to read the hard drive, I suggest you to navigate to the drive partition and

unhide all the hidden folder
      and check.
    2. If you are still not able to see the data, uncheck
      Hide protected operating system files.
    3. After you have found your files, I suggest you to undo the changes.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Linux can see drive but Win10 can't

Windows Subsystem Linux

Hello,

We would like to know more about the issue you're experiencing with using
    Windows Subsystem for Linux
    . Kindly answer the following questions:

• Are you developing a program, an app, or a software for Linux?
    • Is your Window 10 PC connected to a domain?
    • Are you managing a Windows Server PC?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?
    • Can you tell us the Version and OS build of your Windows 10 device? You can find this information by clicking the
      Start button, type About your PC, and then press
      Enter.

We need the following information in order to determine if we need to refer your concern to the
    TechNet forums or the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) forums.

For now, we suggest reviewing these support articles to find out if there's an issue with the installation of
    Windows Subsystem for Linux:

We'll be waiting for your response.

Devlin Sco, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Linux can see drive but Win10 can't

1. Linux can see drive but Win10 can't - Similar Threads - Linux drive Win10

2. Can't see DVD drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't see DVD drives: Hello:I have installed windows server 2016 essential and I can see my two DVD drives in Device Manager, however, they do not show up in file explorer. How do I fix this so that I can see the drives in file explorer, thanks, Allen...
  3. Can't see DVD drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't see DVD drives: Hello:I have installed windows server 2016 essential and I can see my two DVD drives in Device Manager, however, they do not show up in file explorer. How do I fix this so that I can see the drives in file explorer, thanks, Allen...
  4. Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can't restore Win10 - can't 'see' <windowsimagebackup>.: Hello everyone- Having a problem restoring a Win10 "backup and restore" save. W10 won't see it, and I think possibly there are some files missing. I'm super frustrated and hopefully someone here can help! Thanks in advance! Basic details: Lenovo 720s Laptop Win 10 Home I...
  5. Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 sees SSD as HDD in the Drive Optimizer: I heard that defragmenting an SSD is a bad thing, as there is no benifit to it and it just stresses the Flash. but as it seems the drive optimizer doesn't defrag an SSD, which would be good if it would actually correctly detect an SSD. my System has technically 1 SSD. the...
  6. Can't boot into Win10 after deleting linux partition

Can't boot into Win10 after deleting linux partition: Ok so, I screwed up somethings and I am a by no means a pc expert so I need someone with more knowledge about this stuff. It happened when I deleted 2 partitions from my SSD where kali linux was located, which I dual booted with Windows 10. I deleted the partitions from a...
  7. Can't see mapped drives

Can't see mapped drives: I'm not too sure how to describe my problem so I'll put as many details as I can. I'm using FreeNAS for sharing SMB shares. SMB3_11 is enabled. I'm not sure how to check if Windows is using 3_11 but I'm assuming it is. On my Windows 10 machine, I've mounted several SMB...
  8. Cannot see and access Linux Mint system drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot see and access Linux Mint system drive: Hello everyone, I am using Lenovo 81-MT laptop that came with Windows 10 64 bit, and I recently installed Linux Mint 64 bit, since Linux is an open source operating system, so I installed this as secondary OS, I know that Windows and Linux are two very different operating...
  9. Can't connect to shared external USB from Linux/Android,can from Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't connect to shared external USB from Linux/Android,can from Win10: I've got a weird one that I can't seem to solve. I have a Windows 10 Home desktop with a permanently attached external USB HD. The internal drives are share from with everyone privileges at a folder level and a drive level (for testing). Homegroup is turned off...
  10. win10 cannot see a hard drive added in.

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 cannot see a hard drive added in.: had a hard drive problem so took it out of that machine and added it into mine so's i could run seatools on it. but it doesn't appear in the list. how can i get win10 to see it? i had a thing like this once before but i've forgotten the procedure... 81421