Windows 10: linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates

Discus and support linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My son (26) just returned a long term loan P8B67B Deluxe to me with Linux and Win 7 on it. I upgraded 7 successfully, but after updates installed last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by alancsalt, Nov 29, 2015.

1. alancsalt Win User

linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates

My son (26) just returned a long term loan P8B67B Deluxe to me with Linux and Win 7 on it. I upgraded 7 successfully, but after updates installed last night the PC refuses to boot saying "error, no such partition, Entering rescue mode .. grub rescue>" Repeated boot attempts saw it fall into error 53 on the mobo lcd display. Removing one ram stick brought me back to booting to "error, no such partition, Entering rescue mode .. grub rescue>"

Trying to boot just one HDD either gives the above message, or "error, no such device : 521683dd-0417-4a66-b3fb-c6c67b9cc9fo grub rescue>"

I don't need the linux. That was my engineer son. What fixes are there to bring it to Win 10 alone? I don't know the new key or the old 7 key. Should have checked and written it down

:)

alancsalt, Nov 29, 2015

2. Win 10 won't boot after "update"

I was running on the RTM version of Win 10 (build 10240) and tried to update to the current version, both through the Windows automatic update and by downloading the latest ISO, burning it to a DVD, and running it from within Windows. Both times, the reinstall
    ended when the computer restarted automatically and displayed the message:

error: unknown filesystem.

Entering rescue mode . . .

grub rescue>

(GRUB is the Linux bootloader. I'm dual booting with Linux Mint, 64 bit.) I tried using the tools on the Win 10 installation DVD, including automatic startup repair, CHKDSK (reported clean), SFC (ditto), BOOTREC, BOOTSECT, BCDEDIT, and System Restore; I
    also tried the startup repair on Boot-Repair Disk (a Linux tool). My bootloader was apparently damaged by the update. What can I do to fix it?

I'm running Windows 10 Professional (32-bit) on a computer with a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-USB3P system board, an Intel Q9550 CPU, 8GB of memory, and two 500GB SATA drives. The bootloader was installed along with the Linux OS.

prestonpdx, Nov 29, 2015
  3. D_Blade Win User
    Dual Boot Linux Manjaro Issues in Windows 10

Thats weird. Usually the MBR should be overwritten by Linux Grub. But that is not an issue though.

I don't use Grub myself but Windows 10 Bootloader instead to boot into Linux, because that Grub Loader is so ugly.

(It looks like this but with Linux instead of Win7:
    Windows Bootloader
    )

So I simply downloaded and installed "EasyBCD 2.2" (choose the Free version)

Just add a new startup entry with Grub 2 (or maybe GRUB) and choose the partition where you installed Manjaro and it should be fine.

D_Blade, Nov 29, 2015
  4. alancsalt Win User

I tried:

grub rescue>set boot=(hd0,msdos6)
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0,msdos6)/boot/grub
    grub rescue>insmod normal
    error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

ls
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos1)
    grub rescue>set boot=(hd0,msdos1)
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub
    error: unknown filesystem.
    grub rescue>

grub rescue>set boot=(hd0)
    grub rescue>set prefix=(hd0)/boot/grub
    error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

My limited linux knowledge got me nowhere there.

Now downloading a 64 bit Windows 10 N iso through media creation tool to try a boot repair for Windows.

Burnt a disk, went to repair/Advanced Options/Command Prompt
    Tried:

• bootrec /RebuildBcd
    • bootrec /fixMbr
    • bootrec /fixboot
    • Exit
    At Rebuild Bcd it only found Windows.old

alancsalt, Nov 29, 2015
  5. Code: bcdboot C:\Windows[/quote] Try running that at the command prompt to recreate the boot files. That's assuming your Windows installation is located on the C: drive. If another drive just change the letter.

cyberrufus, Nov 29, 2015
  6. alancsalt Win User
    Well, final workaround was installing Win 10 N intending to use the Win 7 N key. My son found the key. I installed an iso I got from the Media Creation tool earlier, and deferred putting in the key, wanting to wait till net connected. There were two key prompts during installation. When it finished I needed no other drivers, everything was up and running, and here's a kicker. Windows 10 N was activated and had a key already????

While I've kept the original hard drive, exploration showed that all the personal files that should have gone from windows.old default user to windows default user no longer existed. I think more than just the boot loader is damaged. 2:05AM here now. Sometime tomorrow I'll shift whatever useful files I can find over to the fresh instal. After that I may try your suggestion just to see.

alancsalt, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. linux grub bootloader failed after win 10 updates - Similar Threads - linux grub bootloader

2. Windows 10 Not Showing Up On Grub Bootloader

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Not Showing Up On Grub Bootloader: Hello All, I decided to replace Ubuntu with Windows 10 since it has recently been released for free on all platforms. It is a 32-bit computer and when I go into GRUB Ubuntu Boot-loader it does not show up in the menu. I am not trying to multiboot, but replace it. Can...
  3. Uninstall Grub Bootloader in Kubuntu?

Uninstall Grub Bootloader in Kubuntu?: Hi, let me tell my story first: I had created a dual boat about two months ago. Once Windows 10 and once Kali Linux. Then I tried to hack my own wlan. The wordlist I created should be 100 petabytes in size. I thought to myself: It will stop at some point. Conclusion: It...
  4. Delete Grub Bootloader?

Delete Grub Bootloader?: Hi so I have win10 installed on my current PC but I want to install uBuntu too (how to do that I know). My question is how do I undo this, do I have to boot Win10 and delete the partition from uBuntu or do I have to do something on uBuntu myself? Grub Bootloader löschen?
  5. How to Remove Grub Bootloader

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How to Remove Grub Bootloader: I can't figure out how to remove Grub from my Windows installation. I at one time had a dual boot with Ubuntu but have since completely removed BOTH OS's and started over. I just updated Windows, and to my surprise the first boot screen I encountered was Grub. I tried...
  6. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  7. Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation

Broken Windows 10 MBR bootloader after failed linux dual-boot installation: Bit of backstory: I have an old Dell Inspiron n5001 laptop and decided to install Manjaro linux after a while on a spare hdd laying around plugged in the cd/dvd reader slot using adapter. I flash my usb with the gui installer, thinking it would be easier than cli....
  8. please post examples of GRUB used as bootloader for Windows + Linux

please post examples of GRUB used as bootloader for Windows + Linux: I must be thick-headed, *Rolleyes because I can't seem to learn how to set up GRUB right to use as a bootloader. *Redface *Redface If someone can post an actual example of their GRUB code and the description of their setup, that would be much appreciated. I would be most...
  9. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB

Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override older Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...
  10. Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB

in Windows 10 Support
    Make Windows 10 Bootloader Override Windows 7 Bootloader/GRUB: I'm trying to setup a tri-boot on a Dell Optiplex 745 (Windows 10, 7, & Ubuntu)and I can't get Windows 10 Boot Manager as the default boot menu (the blue screen boot options menu [1]: https://i.stack.imgur.com/iILBt.png., not black screen boot options menu) [2]:...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. linux bootload overwritten after windows update

2. windows update grub overwritten

3. windows 10 1903 update failed with grub bootloader

4. update windows 10 bootloader to show linux