Windows 10: Linux Grub took over my boot process.

Discus and support Linux Grub took over my boot process. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Good Morning. I have been running a quad boot system (Windows 10 new, Windows 10 older version , Windows 7 and recently I added Linux mint). Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by warewasher2025, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Linux Grub took over my boot process.

Good Morning.

I have been running a quad boot system (Windows 10 new, Windows 10 older version , Windows 7 and recently I added Linux mint). Windows 10 new is on a SSD, Windows 10 Old is on a separate SSD. Windows 7 is on separate hard drive as was Mint. Now Mint is on it's own SSD.
    All was working perfectly booting each using Easy BCD. So then I got the bright idea to add a new SSD for Linux. Which I did (my mistake I think) without unplugging all the other drives.
    Now Grub is what boots first and gives me the option of Linux or Windows. If I select windows 10 it then restarts and goes to my Easy BCD screen for selecting which OS to run.
    Tried unplugging all the drives except windows 10 but the system wont boot. Tried running boot repair from the windows start up disk several time and again won't fix it with all the drives connected or with each connected alone.
    How can I remove grub and get back my normal Easy BCD boot screen?
    Don't really want to re install everything.

:)

warewasher2025, Aug 30, 2016

2. Windows 10

This is a common issue with Linux/Windows dual boots.

The most common fix is to boot up Linux, then in the terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) run the sudo update-grub command. A more extensive guide on how to do this can be found by following the link below.

https://www.pcsteps.com/1053-change-grub-boot-o...

AmberRiley, Aug 30, 2016
  3. how to change boot loader from grub (linux) to windows ?

I have dual boot BOSS linux and windows 10. I want to change my boot loader from grub to windows. So plz guide me on how from change grub to windows

shekarbalakrishnan, Aug 30, 2016
  4. kamalaggi Win User

Linux Grub took over my boot process.

try this link How to Remove GRUB | robinadr

kamalaggi, Aug 31, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

just adding -- next time you want to add Linux to your system I'd suggest either use a Virtual machine --unless you need specific hardware access then a VM is far better than actually "multi-booting" or install Linux totally to an external drive - preferably to an SSD connected via SATA-->USB3 connector.

For Linux - especially if you use it as a multi-media server you can run it very satisfactorily as a Virtual Machine - performance is usually fine and if you insure package ntfs-3g is installed (usually it's there by default on most distros) you can read / write to Windows files too.

If you have Linux installed on its own HDD / SSD it's easy at setup to ensure ALL the files including /boot are connected to the relevant HDD so nothing corrupts your main Windows HDD. Then at Bios simply choose the boot drive --simple --easy. You need to ensure GRUB is written on the HDD where you install the OS. I'm not sure about Linux Mint but CENTOS gives you these options at install time where it asks you for destination drives.

For example mine is totally on /dev/sda (256GB SSD) with two external HDD's attached (multi-media and other files for server). Absolutely 100% isolated from Windows boot HDD !!!

Linux Grub took over my boot process. [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Linux Grub took over my boot process.

1. Linux Grub took over my boot process. - Similar Threads - Linux Grub took

2. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  3. Boots into Grub.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Boots into Grub.: Whilst Windows Update was running, my laptop crashed, as i had forgotten to switch the PSU on. Now when I boot the laptop it goes straight into Grub, typing "exit" it then allows Windows to load. Could you please help me to make my machine normal. Thankyou...
  4. Widgets suddenly took over my screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Widgets suddenly took over my screen: Last year during the pandemic my employer accommodated work from home by purchasing a bunch of laptops that basically off-the-shelf models. They can handle most of the programs we use, but not the resource-hungry ones like AutoCAD. So we take these laptops home, leave our...
  5. Install Win 10 over not dual boot over linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Install Win 10 over not dual boot over linux: Can't load my new Win 10 USB onto my Toshiba C55 laptop with Linux Mint 19.3 currently installed. I can't get past the Mint bootup screen. I have to access the bios from this menu as F2, F9 of F12 won't go directly to the bios. I want a clean install of Win 10 over linux....
  6. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  7. Don't Let Linux GRUB to Show Boot Option!

Don't Let Linux GRUB to Show Boot Option!: Well in my PC 2 OS are installed. Win 10 & Win 7. Now Win 10 boot manager is by default shown. But if I install any Linux distro I think Linux GRUB will take control over Windows 10 boot manager. If so then will I be able to change boot manager from within Windows 10 by going...
  8. My friend took over my computer

My friend took over my computer: So my friend logged into my computer to play Minecraft windows 10 edition on his account, and now when I log in my account is under his Microsoft account and email and I have not been able to fix it. I tried to make a new Microsoft account but his account is the administrator...
  9. Event Viewer Took Over My Computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Event Viewer Took Over My Computer: I would love it if someone were able to tell me why Event Viewer has sent thousands of events to God knows who, with data that you make impossible to read. I would also like to know why it has so invasively taken over functions of my computer. Before I go on, I can ensure you...
  10. Event Viewer Took Over My Computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Event Viewer Took Over My Computer: I would love it if someone were able to tell me why Event Viewer has sent thousands of events to God knows who, with data that you make impossible to read. I would also like to know why it has so invasively taken over functions of my computer. Before I go on, I can ensure you...