Windows 10: Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Discus and support Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 9, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM)

Hi folks
    for those using Linux Hosts and want to try out a hypervisor (built in in typical Linux distros) where you can pass thru video / usb stuff to guests - Windows 10 runs fine -- just follow steps in this link

Running Windows 10 on Linux using KVM with VGA Passthrough s Blog

It certainly is a lot easier and more flexible than HYPER-V and it doesn't need Windows PRO to run - so any machine with a Linux distro -- go for it.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 9, 2019
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Windows 10 Virtualisation on Linux via KVM Hypervisor

Hi folks

If you have time here's another interesting little experiment.
    Linux also has it's own HYPERVISOR (almost counter part of HYPER-V in Windows). Actually it also has XEN but KVM IMO is easier to set up.

Citrix uses XEN and as I've had HIDEOUS experiences with Citrix in various workplaces I've given XEN a miss and gone for KVM as a test to play with.

Here's a way to get a Windows 10 guest running under KVM (or other VM's) but this link specifically deals with Windows 10

Windows 10 Virtualization with KVM

Have fun guys !!!!!

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 9, 2019
  3. IvanFrey Win User
    Windows 10 Home as KVM guest?

I currently run Windows 7 as a KVM guest on top of Linux. Will I be able to do the same for Windows 10 Home?

IvanFrey, Jan 9, 2019
  4. Naki Win User

Windows 10 Host -- Windows 10 Guest Hyper-V -- GPU not detected

No, the RemoteFX adapter provides good enough 2D/3D acceleration just fine. Not software in any way, it is full hardware 2D/3D acceleration.
    I am not using a generic driver in the Host OS, nor in the Guest OS in any way.
    Host OS has latest AMD Radeon drivers, Guest OS - the matching RemoteFX drivers.

I am not 3D rendering or playing heavy games in the VM, of course. *Smile Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM) :)
    I do not use or need Linux here. Windows 10 Host, Windows Guests.

Naki, Jan 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Linux Host HYPERVISOR to Windows 10 Guests passthru (KVM) - Similar Threads - Linux Host HYPERVISOR

2. running calibre (great ebook manager) on a LINUX guest / host

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    running calibre (great ebook manager) on a LINUX guest / host: Hi folks If you have a Linux guest / host with a GUI then it's simple to run Calibre -- really great FREE ebook manager and converter. as roou (su) type following command "# wget -nv -O- https://download.calibre-ebook.com/linux-installer.sh | sh /dev/stdin" Ignore the...
  3. Windows 10 Virtualisation on Linux via KVM Hypervisor

Windows 10 Virtualisation on Linux via KVM Hypervisor: Hi folks If you have time here's another interesting little experiment. Linux also has it's own HYPERVISOR (almost counter part of HYPER-V in Windows). Actually it also has XEN but KVM IMO is easier to set up. Citrix uses XEN and as I've had HIDEOUS experiences with Citrix...
  4. Hyper-V - question Linux Guest with RAID arrays

Hyper-V - question Linux Guest with RAID arrays: Hi there I'm gradually giving up on VMWare to go to HYPER-V. One issue I have is that if I create a Linux server VM I still want to use existing XFS formatted HDD's on the Guest in RAID arrays. There's around 10 TB of space - and about 3 TB of data. Is the HYPER-V system as...
  5. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  6. Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host)

Win 10 as guest in virtualbox (with LinuxMint as host): I have deleted Win 10 from my harddrive. And with Virtualbox I have Win 7 running now. But I cannot get Win 10 installed. Any clue how to proceed? Would appreciate your assistance Daniel 3432
  7. Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host

Vmware wokstation downgrade to WKS 10 on Linux host: Hi there. While we are on a Windows Forum I know some people run Linux here - so if you find that Workstation or Player (VMWARE) 11 / 7 doesn't work properly on a LINUX HOST (I've still got problems with Unity and random freezes running Windows 8.1 and 10 guests) then to...
  8. Any Linux users running Windows using KVM

Any Linux users running Windows using KVM: Hi there Just wondering if there are any Linux users here running a Windows VM with the KVM virtualisation module in Linux. Cheers jimbo 2494
  9. Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine

Windows HOST accessing shared printer on LINUX machine: Hi there For those running VM's and have difficulty getting printers to work properly on the HOST WINDOWS machine, you can often get the device to work by connecting it up to a LINUX VM and sharing it with WINDOWS via samba. Have a look at Post 3 in this thread where I...
  10. Faster Windows 10 host with several Win 10 guests

in Windows 10 Support
    Faster Windows 10 host with several Win 10 guests: I run several windows 10 virtual machines at the same time on my workstation at work. Sometimes when they were idle, the the Disk IO would hit 100% due to windows defender doing a scan, etc... (checked via resource monitor) Well that would clobber the host and other VMs. And...