Windows 10: Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare

Discus and support Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks seem to be having a bit of trouble with VMWare currently with these VM's 1) Skip ahead - latest Windows build won't run in Bridged Network... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare

Hi folks

seem to be having a bit of trouble with VMWare currently with these VM's

1) Skip ahead - latest Windows build won't run in Bridged Network Mode whether on Linux or Windows Host. Previous Windows builds --OK.

2) On Linux HOSTS Kernels 5.X need a patch and then VMWare tools doesn't install.

3) Linux Mint 19.X won't install on anything I've got (Real or VM-- won't even boot properly from install device).

4) Various VM's give "Display driver" errors when run on kernel 5.x with Linux HOST.

I'm sure I never had as much problems in the past when testing new releases etc -- I'm sure people are trying to "cut costs" and skip a decent testing phase before releasing stuff.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 8, 2019

2. No sound in VMware Linux Mint

I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (3.8.9) within VMware Workstation 14 Player (version 14.1.3 build-9474260) running on a Windows 10 host (1803 build 17134.285). Sound does not work, although it works perfectly when I run Windows 7 in the same VM.
    The sound device detected by Linux is Creative Sound blaster CT2518. When I test sound with pavucontrol open on the Output Devices tab, the Advanced bar shows that the sound is being detected, but nothing can be heard.
    Can anyone suggest how I can overcome this problem?

MikeinGrange, Aug 8, 2019
  3. RickC Win User
    What's the best way to virtualize Linux Mint 19 under W10 Pro?

VMware tools are 'helpers' to make the VM more efficient. For example, the tools add a virtual print redirector, shared folder use, improved clipboard handling, USB3 support and graphic tweaks. As such, they aren't strictly necessary but are a very useful addition. In some respects they act as 'connectors' to the Win 10 Pro host, providing additional hooks to the host device's resources.

VMware Workstation doesn't have a template for Linux Mint so use the Ubuntu one (the Ubuntu x64 template if you're installing a 64-bit version of Linux Mint) and change the VM name. You'll see the following bar appear at the bottom of the Workstation installation window:

Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare [​IMG]

Wait until the installation has finished and opened the Linux Mint Start page then click on the I Finished Installing button to dismiss it.

If you're using VMware Workstation (with snapshotting, etc) - as opposed to Workstation Player - then you can use this VMware guide to install the tools.

Hope this helps...

RickC, Aug 8, 2019
  4. jimbo45 Win User

No sound in VMware Linux Mint

Hi there

Check on the VM config (from the HOST with the VM running) -- see if sound card is connected

sometimes sound card starts disconnected -- simply connect it from the VMware menu

Then check within the VM if sound is working via whatever sound mixer app you have you have

for me on centos it's as follows (KDE is my GUI on this VM but it's similar using other GUI's).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Linux Mint 19.X not installable on Winows Host with VMWare - Similar Threads - Linux Mint installable

2. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  3. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Linux Mint: Can you please tell me how to disable write protection on a Drive using Linux Mint USB Bootable...basically messed my computer up and then used linux mint usb bootable to boot. now i wish to format my drive but cannot because it is write protected.....i can see and access...
  4. Linux Mint

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare (15/16) fails to install on Linux Hosts with kernels 5.9.X: Hi folks Those of you with Linux Hosts who use VMWare WKS / Player should note that on a load of distros - e.g Fedora Rawhide with kernels 5.9.X - install fails - primarily due to missing / incompatible header files. KVM /QEMU - though no problem -- "just keeps on Truckin'"....
  6. Remove Linux mint?

Remove Linux mint?: Hello I have again created a partition on my hard disk to be able to use Linux next to Windows. I've been doing that for a while. However, I have no idea how to remove Linux without harming my laptop. The last time haveichdan rebuilt the remaining free space back into my...
  7. VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS

VMWare fix for most kernels on Linux HOSTS: Hi folks This script (I got from the net somewhere - can't remember though) should fix the problem with VMware and updated kernels when using Linux Hosts put this script in the vmmodules install file - usually this one : /etc/kernel/install.d/99-vmmodules.install...
  8. VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels

VMWare on Linux Host with 5.x kernels: Hi folks If you are using a Linux Host with 5,x kernels e.g Fedora 30 etc You need to apply a patch to get VMWare to work properly From your Linux Host run : wget https://github.com/mkubecek/vmware-h...-15.1.0.tar.gz tar -xzf workstation-15.1.0.tar.gz cd...
  9. No sound in VMware Linux Mint

No sound in VMware Linux Mint: I have installed Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon (3.8.9) within VMware Workstation 14 Player (version 14.1.3 build-9474260) running on a Windows 10 host (1803 build 17134.285). Sound does not work, although it works perfectly when I run Windows 7 in the same VM. The sound device...
  10. Remove Linux Mint 19 "Tara" and install Windows 10

Remove Linux Mint 19 "Tara" and install Windows 10: I have an issue with my Linux machine. I am trying to run a physical copy of windows 10 on a Linux machine. I even tried formatting the partitions for Linux and it didn't work. Any help will be appreciated....