Windows 10: linux partition erased by windows update

Discus and support linux partition erased by windows update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Well, it happened again. The unallocated 252.00 Gib section is where my old ubuntu installation's /home folder resided. Luckily this time I already... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by TuhinJana, Aug 4, 2019.

1. TuhinJana Win User

linux partition erased by windows update

Well, it happened again. The unallocated 252.00 Gib section is where my old ubuntu installation's /home folder resided. Luckily this time I already had copied all my important files to another distro in another harddrive. Or else I'd have to spend 3 days recovering everything again.

Will microsoft ever fix it ?

Technical:
    As windows supported only 4 main paritions, I had only 1 HDD & wanted my /home folder on separate drive from my / due to distrohopping habbits, I partitioned the drive in the following way.

• linux /
    • windows C:
    • windows diag
    • extended
      • linux /home
      • windows D:
      • windows E:

:)

TuhinJana, Aug 4, 2019
  2. TuhinJana Win User

Well, it happened
    again
    . The unallocated 252.00 Gib section is where my old ubuntu installation's /home folder resided. Luckily this time I already had copied all my important files to another distro in another harddrive. Or else I'd have to spend 3 days recovering everything
    again.

Will microsoft ever fix it ?

Technical:

As windows supported only 4 main paritions, I had only 1 HDD & wanted my /home folder on separate drive from my / due to distrohopping habbits, I partitioned the drive in the following way.

• linux /
    • windows C:
    • windows diag
    • extended
      • linux /home
      • windows D:
      • windows E:

TuhinJana, Sep 28, 2019
  3. linux partition erased by windows update

It is very unusual that a Windows update deleted a partition, if the updates deleted the partition, then the updates should be installed in Linux partition. There must be something going on in your PC like what Valdemar have mentioned. We always gett a
    confirmation before deleting a partition, right? Just sharing my opinion.

Rasheed Mandeep, Sep 28, 2019
  4. linux partition erased by windows update

Windows Updates do not erase partitions.

You have some other issue going on as Arjay Dom very rightly noted.

7ff2a89d-4617-4f57-9a1a-ca8dc82d7e88, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

1. linux partition erased by windows update - Similar Threads - linux partition erased

2. Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition: Hi,Recently I installed Linux mint on the HDD of an old workstation that I own. I installed Linux mint onto the HDD by disconnecting the SATA cable that connects my windows boot drive from the SSD, and then installed Linux on the second drive using a Linux mint CD-ROM that I...
  3. Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows filesystem won't recognise Linux partition: Hi,Recently I installed Linux mint on the HDD of an old workstation that I own. I installed Linux mint onto the HDD by disconnecting the SATA cable that connects my windows boot drive from the SSD, and then installed Linux on the second drive using a Linux mint CD-ROM that I...
  4. Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Workarounds for mounting windows partition linux: Hi there! I've recently lost access to windows because of the 0xc0000098 error, also unable to fix bcd because it isnt picking up an operating system with an external windows install usb (i cant access windows recovery from my windows hdd itself), then I found myself trying...
  5. Switching from Linux back to Windows if you erased everything

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Switching from Linux back to Windows if you erased everything: Hello, I have done quite stupid thing and installed Linux without a lot of research about it and now i am facing problem that some programs which i need is not supported by Linux nicely as it was saying in the beginning. So my problem is that I installed Linux on PC without...
  6. Installed Linux in windows partition!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installed Linux in windows partition!: Helllo guys, I have installed linux for college purposes. While doing so I've chosen the wrong partition and installed in main windows drive. Now when I try to boot it up, "Advanced repair options" comes up and i'm unable to get the windows back. Please help me to get...
  7. How to erase at low level Windows Partitions?

How to erase at low level Windows Partitions?: Hello everyone, I have 8 partitions for my hard drive, 3-4 to linux and the rest to partitions of windows + recovery partitions etc. Is there any method to erase all data about the partitions at low level without loosing the information in the linux partitions? Thanks in...
  8. Deleting Linux partition with GPT

Deleting Linux partition with GPT: How are the steps different for deleting a Linux partition if my windows is GPT? Can I simply delete the Linux partition and activate secure boot without problems? Could I then turn on fast startup? submitted by /u/RealisticInterest6 [link] [comments]...
  9. Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB)

Delete Linux Partition (and GRUB): I have a single disk laptop which I installed KDE Neon on. Now I want to remove it. Will I be able to simply download AOMEI tool and delete the Linux partition and use the built in fixmbr option? Every tutorial on yt has comments saying command lines are unreliable and I’m...
  10. How to erase partitions on SSD?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to erase partitions on SSD?: Hi folks, I got a SSD drive and it has two partitions on it. The drive is 500gb and one of the partitions is 10gb. How can I completely delete the 10gb partition and get the drive back to a functioning 500gb drive again please? When I use the Disk Management program the...