Windows 10: Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host)

Discus and support Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there Anybody running various flavours of Linux out there whether as VM's or HOST - it seems to me that the most resilient file system is XFS. On... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 22, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host)

Hi there

Anybody running various flavours of Linux out there whether as VM's or HOST - it seems to me that the most resilient file system is XFS.

On the surprisingly very rare occasions if it breaks ( and when it did it was my fault --"User error" !!) it's easy enough to repair -- even RAID devices. You get an indication when you try and mount a device and you can't mount it because of a message superblock error.

1) ensure relevant device is unmounted or not mounted (lsblk or on red hat type systems ssm list if you install system storage manager). Raid devices are usually /dev/mdx and HDD's usually /dev/sdx.

2) simply run repair_xfs /dev/sdx or /dev/mdx

3) if you get error - journal etc you can re-run with following command

repair_xfs -L /dev/sdx or /devmdx

job done

I had this error on an external USB HDD which I'd unplugged from another system before the HDD was quiesced (my fault). Repaired fine though with the commands above.

When removing devices from VM's ensure quiesced before actually unplugging them - both Windows and Linux have "safely remove devices" feature -- best to use them.

IMO XFS far superior to EXT4 so if in the distro you use if you have a choice of file systems when installing the system or creating file systems on external devices go for XFS rather than EXT4.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 22, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Hi there

I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host.

However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to the VM as the Windows HOST rejects the HDD wanting me to format it !!. There's 2.7 TB of media files on it - I want to test running media server in a VM.

Anybody know how to bypass the Windows nag prompt about the HDD and be able to attach it direct to the VM.

(The other way round is no problem -- never a problem loading NTFS HDD's on to Linux machines -- however the NTFS file system is SLOW compared with XFS -- on USB3 device on Native windows transfer rate of 1 TB of files from fast NTFS HDD to NTFS USB3 device is max 82 Mib/s - average for whole transfer. On same machine with Native Linux and XFS to XFS (using same HDD's and USB 3 port avg speed is 350 mib/s !! -- HUGE difference !!!).

Note I have to have a Windows Host for this --I know I could run Linux VM's from a Linux Host but in this case I do have to use a Windows Host as that will be the destination system at the end of testing.

BTW I'm running VMWARE workstation 12.1 on W10 Pro Host.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 22, 2018
  3. cereberus Win User
    Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Not a direct solution but wouldn't it work if drive was formatted as exFAT instead which can be read or written on Linux (may need to add support).

Perhaps putting a small fat 32 partition on drive so you can get drive mounted in vm, and then use tools in vm to read xfs partitions might work?

cereberus, Sep 22, 2018
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Improve Windows I/O in a VM - from Windows OR Linux Hosts

Hi there

I/O performance is often a problem with Virtual Machines - especially if you are using programs like Vmware with "Virtual" Formatted HDD's such as vdmk - especially with "Bog standard" Spinners..

A better solution by far is if you have the space and 2 HDD's (minimum) available is to pass these through as RAW physical HDD's and then use the NATIVE I/O subsystem of your Guest VM.

For example pass through 2 HDD's from Linux or Windows Hosts to a Windows Guest -- you might be running a Guest VM as a server -- no reason why servers shouldn't be VM's (that way people can access the VM / shared files without touching or even having an account on the HOST at all). Now create Windows Storage spaces from the HDD - this is a very efficient I/O system for Windows and you can set it up as a "Software RAID" type of system. The HDD's don't even have to be of the same size for Windows storage spaces.

If using a Linux Guest from a Windows Host then simply format the 2 HDD's as Ext4 and use the software RAID system in Linux - mdadm.

For Linux Host with Linux VM probably the best way is to simply SHARE the HDD's via Samba and just run the (Virtual) OS from an SSD.

For Windows run the Virtual OS from an SSD - it's the DATA drives I'm concerned with such as file shares for multi-media etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host) - Similar Threads - Linux quick repair

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Running scheduled jobs e.g hourly on Linux VM / WSL / Host Linux: Hi folks for those who have NAS (Linux) type servers / Linux VM's or Host Linux systems it's dead easy to set up jobs that run say every hour or whatever - use for this would be scheduled backups etc etc. I've got a simple 1 line example here of running an email to myself...
  4. Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Bridged networking to Windows VM from linux host: Hi folks I created a working bridge to a physical NIC as per : [[email protected] hrafn]# ifconfig enp2s0f1 0.0.0.0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addbr br0 [[email protected] hrafn]# brctl addif br0 enp2s0f1 <==== one of my NIC physical interfaces - [[email protected]...
  5. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  6. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  7. Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host)

Unrar - extract / list .RAR files in Linux (VM or Host): Hi there. some of you running Linux VM's might want to be able to UNRAR some RAR files directly in Linux without having to access the files on your Windows system and extract / view via 7Z or other programs. Other types of archives such as zip etc are usually managed by...
  8. Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts

Unity Mode Fix for W10 VMware VM's on Linux Hosts: Hi there This seems to work fine for Windows 10 VM's on some Linux Hosts. 1) Uninstall VMware tools on the VM - shut down but don't re-power on 2) uninstall open-vm-tools on your HOST machine - typically as root or sudo yum autoremove open-vm-tools or whatever it is in...
  9. VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed

VLC on W10 VM on Linux Hosts (Workstation 12.1 - Fixed: Hi there. on some Linux Hosts using Vmware workstation / Player VLC doesn't work properly on a Windows 10 VM - you don't get any dropdowns from the menu. A reasonable fix for this (apart from checking that you have any Video drivers installed for your Host system) is to...
  10. 1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    1607 - no Wifi on HOST but Linux VM has no problem with Internet !!!: Hi there after no problem with all the various updates on Windows 1607 I've really got a strange one now Laptop (HP envy) has lost Wifi and Internet connectivity on the Windows HOST - but a Linux VM I'm running on the same laptop has absolutely NO problem connecting to...