Windows 10: Linux shows Drive on stress and might fail soon on Windows no errors

Discus and support Linux shows Drive on stress and might fail soon on Windows no errors in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there I keep getting a message on Linux saying that an external HDD is subject to stress and might fail soon - check the S.M.A.R.T logs for the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jimbo45, Jun 14, 2021.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux shows Drive on stress and might fail soon on Windows no errors

Hi there I keep getting a message on Linux saying that an external HDD is subject to stress and might fail soon - check the S.M.A.R.T logs for the device -- Device is a 3TB Toshiba external self powered USB drive is formatted GPT / NTFS. Linux has for years been able to read / write NTFS formatted disks (ensure package ntfs-3g is installed - it usually is by default these days anyway). On Windows I can't find any error whatsoever with the device - ran chkdsk and all the other things -- including that very convoluted powershell thing to analyse the HDD. I've backed up the data as a matter of course but there's obviously something strange with that device. Other external HDD's when attached to Linux don't throw up any errors so it's obviously something with that particular device. I can't hear any noises etc from the device and on Windows it appears to work 100% correctly. Are there any other decent low level tests I can do on the device - even if I have to boot stand alone tests from a USB stick. The Toshiba web site storage diagnostic tool fails to find any errors (on quick scan -- I'll run the long one overnight 800 mins required for the complete low level scan). I really don't want to chuck a perfectly good HDD into the bin !!! Cheers jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2021
  2. Amit_Sun Win User

Error: "Scan the drive now and fix it", Linux named folder with special characters are not accessable in Windows 10 using external hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know the file partition format type of your external drive?

As Linux and Windows they work on different file system, when the files are migrated from Linux base system to Windows OS, most of the files that are not supported could be hidden, I suggest you to follow the steps below to further
    narrow down the root cause of the issue.

Method 1: Check the hard drive in different computer.

I suggest you to check the hard drive in a different computer and check if you still face the issue.

If the same issue persists on different computer then the issue might be with the hard drive itself, I suggest you to contact the local tech and get the drive checked.

Method 2: Run Check disk.

Run the check disk command to repair the hard drive and fix the bad sectors.

1. Search for Command Prompt on the start menu.
    2. Right click and Run as Administrator.
    3. Type in chkdsk C: /f /r /x where
      C: represents the drive letter for the hard drive change the drive letter according to your system and hit enter.

Disclaimer: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might
    be lost.

Method 3: Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems.

I suggest you refer to this article
    Automatically diagnose and fix Windows USB problems

download and run the troubleshooter to fix the issue with USB detection.

Method 4: uninstall USB drivers.

1. If you still face the issue and the hard drives throws the error again, you can refer the article

USB devices may stop functioning correctly when multiple devices connected to the same USB hub go into selective suspend
      and check if this helps you.
    2. Reboot the computer once after the steps are completed.

Method 5: Backup your data on Linux OS.

As the drive is compatible with Linux system, I suggest you to backup your data on any Linux computer first.

Method 6: Check for hidden files.

Some Linux files that are not readable by Windows are sometimes hidden in Windows, you can follow the below steps to unhide them and access the data.

1. If you are able to read the hard drive, I suggest you to navigate to the drive partition and

unhide all the hidden folder
      and check.
    2. If you are still not able to see the data, uncheck
      Hide protected operating system files.
    3. After you have found your files, I suggest you to undo the changes.

If you still face the issue, reply to this post with more information.

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jun 14, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    "Disk may fail soon" is causing blue screen error

Hi Rahul

Modern Hard drives and SSD's contain a technology called SMART

If you are getting a SMART error indicating your disk may fail soon, then you should backup your data as soon as possible, you are going to need to replace your hard drive and you need to protect yourself against data loss

If that is a SMART error, then chkdsk will in the long run not be able to repair your disk . . .

You should not run any stress test on that hard drive, it may fail sooner rather than later due to that . .

Click your Start Button, then just type cmd

From the resulting list, right click Command Prompt and choose 'Run as Administrator'

Paste this command and hit Enter:

wmic diskdrive get status

What exactly is returned from that command?

DaveM121, Jun 14, 2021
  4. Linux shows Drive on stress and might fail soon on Windows no errors

"Disk may fail soon" is causing blue screen error

It returned

Status

Pred Fail

Rahul.Anand, Jun 14, 2021
Thema:

Linux shows Drive on stress and might fail soon on Windows no errors

1. Linux shows Drive on stress and might fail soon on Windows no errors - Similar Threads - Linux shows Drive

2. Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Linux not showing up in Windows Explorer: I was going to do my reanalysis for Hurricane Sandra of 1985 but I couldn't find Linux in Windows Explorer and that's where the data for the storm is located in can someone help....
  3. Google Chrome will soon get faster on Windows, Linux and macOS

in Windows 10 News
    Google Chrome will soon get faster on Windows, Linux and macOS: Last year Google introduced support for “back-forward cache” on Android, which enables instantaneous page loading when users navigate using backward or forward button. As per a new document spotted by us, Google Chrome 92 update will also enable default support for...
  4. Windows is Repartitioning Linux Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows is Repartitioning Linux Drive: [ATTACH] Hey guys! I have dual boot and windows deleted the first 17MB of btrfs linux drives and made a "microsoft reserved" partition there, where all my necessary data was. How to stop windows doing it again?...
  5. Mozilla Might Soon Offer a Subscription Service for Firefox

in Windows 10 News
    Mozilla Might Soon Offer a Subscription Service for Firefox: Mozilla could be rethinking the way it offers some features on Firefox. The company is rethinking its business to generate more revenue and introduce new sources of revenue for the business, and one of them could involve offering a subscription service on Firefox. Mozilla’s...
  6. "Disk may fail soon" is causing blue screen error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "Disk may fail soon" is causing blue screen error: My hard disk notified me that it is about to fail soon and is causing blue screen error on every restart which is a pain in the ****. I have scanned and repaired my disk a lot of times but it didn't help. Is it possible to repair my hard drive in any way or I should buy a...
  7. Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files

Windows' Drive Error Checking Deleted My Linux Files: Hello, "dear" Microsoft, I am running Windows 10 on a ProBook 4530s machine and today, after I plugged my external drive in, I was greeted with a wonderful "There's a problem with this drive. Scan the drive now and fix it." message, to which I said "Fine! Why not?". After...
  8. C drive showing GNU/Linux

C drive showing GNU/Linux: Hi, My PC C: Drive is showing as below picture as GNU/Linux. When I tried to dual boot the PC, suddenly booting got interrupted. And PC got restarted. From then onwards it was showing as below picture. Could you please help me out and get back my C: Drive to my original...
  9. Report suggests Google Pixelbook might soon run Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Report suggests Google Pixelbook might soon run Windows 10: Google has always ignored Microsoft’s app store, and as well the Windows 10 operating system, despite the fact that the platform is being used on more than 700 million active devices. But if a new report is believed to be true, Google Pixelbook might soon run Windows 10...
  10. Linux on a flash drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Linux on a flash drive: Is there a tutorial on how to setup Linux Distro on a large flashdrive where you can add software to the flash drive and a printer. That when you close the linux version and remove the flashdrive and then decide to use it later, all the software is still there? 72492