Windows 10: Linux VM - Virtual switch - How do I connect from another machine

Discus and support Linux VM - Virtual switch - How do I connect from another machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there help @Kari please --you must be getting sick of this but thanks really appreciate your time - networking isn't my strong speciality !!! I'll... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 3, 2018.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux VM - Virtual switch - How do I connect from another machine

Hi there

help @Kari please --you must be getting sick of this but thanks really appreciate your time - networking isn't my strong speciality !!!

I'll go back to the previous post once I'm all sorted

but got a question here

ifconfig for the VM shows address as 172.18.10.143

Linux VM - Virtual switch - How do I connect from another machine [​IMG]

want I need is an address like 192.168.0.xx

Do I need to set up Virtual switch or whatever -- this is the part where I'm stuck

I can logon to the VM from the HYPER-V connect panel on the Host but I can't access or even see it on any other machines on the LAN although the VM has full Internet capability (Firefox) so that's working.

I need to get an address of something like 192.168.0.xx (or whatever DHCP on your router dishes our as real IP addresses).

XRDP / tight VMC servers all working on the Linux VM so RDP from windows should work but the IP address is bonkers !!!

cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 3, 2018
  2. Kari Win User

Internet exclusively on a Linux virtual machine?

I do not know if that is possible in VMware. In Hyper-V that is very simple, you just need to unselect Allow management operating system to share this network adapter in Virtual Switch Manager for your external virtual switch:
    Linux VM - Virtual switch - How do I connect from another machine [​IMG]

• Selected = host and virtual machines have Internet connection
    • Unselected = virtual machines have Internet connection, host not

Kari, Sep 3, 2018
  3. Kari Win User
    Hyper-V virtualization - Setup and Use in Windows 10  

Still not understanding you.

The Linux on Hyper-V vm tutorial at the Eight Forums Part 6 of this tutorial links to tells clearly and in logical order how to setup an OpenSUSE vm. I will not do that tutorial for each available Linux distro separately; we are on Windows Forums, that tutorial is only for reference.

These instructions as told in the tutorial are valid for most Linux distros I have tried:
    • Set up a Linux VM (step 1.2)
    • When setting up the vm, do not connect to a virtual switch (step 1.2.5)
    • Add a Private virtual switch to a Legacy virtual adapter (step 1.3)
    • Install OpenSUSE (step 1.4)
    • When installed, connect the legacy virtual adapter to an external virtual switch for network and Internet connectivity (step 1.4.15)
    I am totally unable to understand your point. Following those instructions, the vm will be created, Linux installed, and finally the vm connected to the network and Internet.

I am sorry that you have issues with your product key but that has nothing to do with Hyper-V.

Kari, Sep 3, 2018
  4. xkm1948 Win User

Install Linux in a Windows 10 Virtual Machine?

What is a good virtual machine software I can use to setup a Linux environment? I am having too much trouble dual booting Mint with my Windows 10. Is there a quick way to setup up VM for Linux?

xkm1948, Sep 3, 2018
Thema:

1. Linux VM - Virtual switch - How do I connect from another machine - Similar Threads - Linux Virtual switch

2. VM Workstation cannot connected with a Virtual Machine. Dll error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VM Workstation cannot connected with a Virtual Machine. Dll error: VM Workstation cannot connected with a Virtual Machine.Running inside a command prompt. c:\program Files x86\vmware\vmware workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe Response below System Error The code execution cannot proceed because ResamleDMO.dll was not found. Reinstalling the...
  3. VM Workstation cannot connected with a Virtual Machine. Dll error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VM Workstation cannot connected with a Virtual Machine. Dll error: VM Workstation cannot connected with a Virtual Machine.Running inside a command prompt. c:\program Files x86\vmware\vmware workstation\x64\vmware-vmx-debug.exe Response below System Error The code execution cannot proceed because ResamleDMO.dll was not found. Reinstalling the...
  4. How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?: Namaste!I am using Hyper-V for creating/running Virtual Machines. I want to make my VM more Secure so I enabled Shielded VM.But when I run the Virtual Machine I cannot connect to it. I get this Message "Waiting for enhanced session Virtual Machine Connection to be...
  5. How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to connect to Shielded Virtual Machine?: Namaste!I am using Hyper-V for creating/running Virtual Machines. I want to make my VM more Secure so I enabled Shielded VM.But when I run the Virtual Machine I cannot connect to it. I get this Message "Waiting for enhanced session Virtual Machine Connection to be...
  6. Virtual machine and Windows subsystem for Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual machine and Windows subsystem for Linux: Once I enable Virtual machine and Windows subsystem for Linux and install Ubuntu from app store on Window 10 home 2004 the laptop screen is having some flickering issues. The issue got resolve if I disable these two. If anyone experience the issue, please suggest the...
  7. Virtual machine to run linux

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Virtual machine to run linux: Windows is not my main OS. I use it for work and I'd like to install openSUSE (or any other distribution) on a virtual machine to use while I do office work on Windows. What are my options? submitted by /u/C8H10N4O2montreal [link] [comments]...
  8. How do I switch to Linux?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I switch to Linux?: How do I remove Windows and install Linux. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-switch-to-linux/2a0d6d7b-d2a6-4e6d-ad59-291cc560758c
  9. KVM Virtual Machines -- Host access from the VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    KVM Virtual Machines -- Host access from the VM: Hi there Don't do this on a LIVE distro though as these aren't persistent so you won't be able to save changes !!!! A good way of playing with this stuff without touching any Internal HDD's is to install the Linux system on an external HDD (SSD is better) connected via...
  10. Internet exclusively on a Linux virtual machine?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet exclusively on a Linux virtual machine?: I have Windows 10 and run Linux on a virtual machine in VMware. Is it possible to set it up so my internet traffic only runs through the Linux VM and not through Windows? I figure this would be a good setup for security. 46852