Windows 10: Linux VM's - increase boot menu delay time to select different kernel

Discus and support Linux VM's - increase boot menu delay time to select different kernel in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there For those running Linux VM's especially with VMware where you have several kernels installed - the default is often TOO quick to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Feb 16, 2017.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux VM's - increase boot menu delay time to select different kernel

Hi there

For those running Linux VM's especially with VMware where you have several kernels installed - the default is often TOO quick to be able to select the kernel you want to use

Note this is AFTER the VM starts booting - it's the VM boot screen not the "Virtual Bios" where you can select the boot device.

Easy trick

edit the defaults file in etc/default/grub

GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR="$(sed 's, release .*$,,g' /etc/system-release)"
    GRUB_DEFAULT=0
    GRUB_DISABLE_SUBMENU=true
    GRUB_TERMINAL_OUTPUT="console"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.lvm.lv=centos/root rd.lvm.lv=centos/swap rhgb quiet"
    GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true

set the TIMEOUT to the value you want - 10 is usually plenty long enough

If you want your specific kernel to be top of the list then starting with 0 look at the entries in the boot and set GRUB_DEFAULT = n (starting with 0) so if your kernel is 2nd in the list set GRUB_DEFAULT=1).

then re-generate grub and reboot

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Feb 16, 2017

2. Very slow boot time with Windows 10 Pro on SSD

I recently updated my Windows 8.1 64-bit laptop to Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. The change has increased the boot time from 10-15 seconds to around 80 seconds. The laptop boots, does the POST, displays the Windows loading
    gimble, then sits there with a blank screen until the login screen appears and I can login; the login is quick. Once the laptop is up and running it's as quick as before, it's just the total boot up time that's increased 5 times.

The event IDs I see are sometimes a bit random but the one thing I see regularly are Kernel-Boot events 18, 32, 25 and 27 in that order. The time taken from the event preceding Kernel-Boot event ID 18 to Kernel-Boot event ID 18 being logged is usually about
    70 seconds.

Kernel-Boot Event ID 27 - The boot type was 0x1.

Kernel-Boot Event ID 25 - The boot menu policy was 0x1.

Kernel-Boot Event ID 32 - The bootmgr spent 0 ms waiting for user input.

Kernel-Boot Event ID 28 - There are 0x1 boot options on this system.

BTHUSB Event ID 18 - Windows cannot store Bluetooth authentication codes (link keys) on the local adapter. Bluetooth keyboards might not work in the system BIOS during start-up.

So in this case the time delay between BTHUSB Event ID 18 and Kernel-Boot Event ID 18 was 72 seconds. I get regular events logged about my bluetooth adapter not supporting low power options, but that's usual and has happened since Windows 7, so I don't
    think that's it. I've updated all the drivers I can find and the laptop is on the latest BIOS. Before the upgrades the boot time was very quick so I doubt this is a hardware issue.

HP ENVY 14, Intel i7 (8 processors), 8GB RAM and Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1TB.

Super Graham, Feb 16, 2017
  3. Hyper-V does not boot ISO image, but VMWare Player does

I have Win 10 pro with Hyper-V. I have created a new Generation 1 and Generation 2 VM and point the ISO image to boot. On connecting and starting either of the VMs (only 1 at a time), the only thing i see is Connecting to Yogesh-Linux (which is the name
    of my VM). It does not go any further. I installed VMWare player and disabled Credential Guard as required by it and created a new VM pointing to the same ISO image. VMWare player was able to boot the image and complete the install of the Ubuntu Linux.

YogeshJiandani, Feb 16, 2017
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Thanks for the info Jimbo . . .*Smile

Thema:

1. Linux VM's - increase boot menu delay time to select different kernel - Similar Threads - Linux VM's increase

2. Increase in Booting time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Increase in Booting time: Hi,I am a windows 11 user and recently i downloaded some softwares like epic games , plarium playa game , started to download hitman starter pack from XBOX but stopped it in between , Grand RP..just after downloading all these and setting up i deleted them all completely for...
  3. Increase in Booting time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increase in Booting time: Hi,I am a windows 11 user and recently i downloaded some softwares like epic games , plarium playa game , started to download hitman starter pack from XBOX but stopped it in between , Grand RP..just after downloading all these and setting up i deleted them all completely for...
  4. Diagnosing increased boot times?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Diagnosing increased boot times?: What are the best methods for diagnosing increased boot times? I have an Asus Vivobook laptop purchased new in January; boot times when new were about 10-15 seconds from power on to the lock screen. However, this has now increased to 40 seconds.I have tried the following: -...
  5. Increase the delay for USB Selective Suspend.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Increase the delay for USB Selective Suspend.: I have this keyboard on the laptop that does not respect selective suspend keeping the cpu at high power usage all the time. I've found a way to force the keyboard to go to sleep when not in use, but when it chooses to go from awake to sleep, it has a half a second or so of...
  6. Linux VM's increase font size in (top) menus etc - Easily done

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux VM's increase font size in (top) menus etc - Easily done: Hi folks While it's simple to re-set font sizes for general desktop settings etc in most linux distros sometimes the top menu bar and things like space in things like firefox to enter say a search address is tiny with small fonts too -- it's quite easy but you need to set...
  7. RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's)

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    RAID 0 on linux kernels >5.3.3 (Hosts and VM's): Hi folks for those using RAID 0 especially on devices with unequal sizes you won't be able to access your array after kernel 5.3.3 (whether as host or in a VM) This applies whatever the Windows Host virtualisation you are using - whether VBOX / VMWare or HYPER-V. Also...
  8. Increased boot up time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Increased boot up time: my boot up time has increased gradually as i have installed software's on my windows pc,if i uninstall the unimportant ones(games,video editing,etc.) will it resort back to approximately the same speed? i have closed all the unnecessary startup items,regularly clean my...
  9. Boot time increase

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot time increase: Hey guys, a few days ago I had to use my gigabyte's backup bios due to corruption, and now my pc takes upto a minute to boot instead of about 10-15 seconds. (stays on gigabyte screen till boot). Any ideas? 55114
  10. Boot time significantly Increased

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot time significantly Increased: Hello Guy and Gals , My system used to boot up Quite Fast ( almost instantly SSD Drive C ), i added a hard drive and noticed a significant increase in my boot up time , the drive i added , i decided that i would not use it ( Not Big Enough ), so i removed it, I then...