Windows 10: Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available

Discus and support Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM). Available for most distros .... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Nov 15, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available

Hi folks
    for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM).
    Available for most distros . It says beta but the proper release is out.

KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta is out. Final Release Next Month.

IMO it's the best GUI desktop for Linux OS'es for Windows users who aren't experienced with Linux as the desktop behaves quite similarly.

Anyway try it and see --remember with Linux you don't have to stick with a single GUI - typically you can install GNOME,KDE.KDE/Plasma, MATE etc -- at login time just select the GUI you want to use for that session - also you can switch without re-boot - just logout of current session and login again with the new option.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    for those trying Linux VM's why not give KDE plasma a try as the GUI (assuming you want a GUI on your Linux VM).
    Available for most distros . It says beta but the proper release is out.

KDE Plasma 5.20 Beta is out. Final Release Next Month.

IMO it's the best GUI desktop for Linux OS'es for Windows users who aren't experienced with Linux as the desktop behaves quite similarly.

Anyway try it and see --remember with Linux you don't have to stick with a single GUI - typically you can install GNOME,KDE.KDE/Plasma, MATE etc -- at login time just select the GUI you want to use for that session - also you can switch without re-boot - just logout of current session and login again with the new option.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

Hi folks.

For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way

open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop

Note though before logging in to the plasma desktop you will need to install a terminal (console) program so after installing the plasma desktop also type : sudo apt-get install konsole. it's called Konsole no typo !!.

Now logout and you can login to the much nicer KDE environment without all the overhead -- you need to install then whatever KDE apps you want in addition - I'd suggest samba and dolphin (the file manager).

Finally to run a GUI type file browser in SU mode you'll have to use Nautilus from the console) type "sudo Nautilus" ignore the messages and you'll get the file browser in su mode and you can edit / create / save files in root directories such as /etc/samba/smb.conf.

I don't like the Gnome desktop if i'm using a GUI --- KDE is so much nicer, more configurable and for Windows users a lot more familiar.

Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

Hi there
    @SIW2
    yes just do sudo apt-get install <name of application>

For example I still like old fashioned spider solitaire (without the ads on the Ms store) so type sudo apt-get install kpat

Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available [​IMG]

Don't forget of course to install the Konsole app before installing any other app or you'll have to use the terminal on the GNOME desktop.

A good bit torrent client is deluge and also tor browser install easily.

Have fun

cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 15, 2020
Thema:

1. Linux VM's - KDE plasma 5.20 available - Similar Threads - Linux VM's KDE

2. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  3. KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KDE Plasma runs on WSL 2: [ATTACH] Oh boy. No one told me graphical interface works natively on WSL 2. I managed to run the KDE plasma on ubuntu in wsl 2. Note: this is not using x-server. This is full-fat plasma....
  4. Linux / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Linux / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI: Hi folks a number of you use Linux VM's (and some probably as hosts too). If you have HDMI connections to a sound enabled monitor sometimes it's annoying as the sound (when working) still goes by default through the internal speakers --especially on a Laptop. This also is a...
  5. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  6. UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead

UBUNTU VM with KDE Plasma GUI - without whole KUBUNTU overhead: Hi folks. For Ubuntu users who still like the much nicer (by far IMO) KDE Plasma GUI but don't want the whole KUBUNTU overhead you can do it this way open a terminal and simply type : sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop Note though before logging in to the plasma...
  7. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  8. UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma

UBUNTU and derivitives - edit files as root with KDE Plasma: Hi there If you need a GUI editor to edit files as root e.g samba.conf then from the console / terminal : hrafn@siggi:~$ SUDO_EDITOR=kate sudoedit /etc/samba/samba.conf [sudo] password for hrafn: Then you'll get into the editor in root mode - the above example...
  9. Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!

Running Linux VM on HYPER - V --works !!!: Hi there @Kari particularly -- any experience with using the FREE 2016 server HYPER-V edition and any pitfalls as I want to try it later. Try Active Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 | TechNet Evaluation Software Best Practices for running Linux on Hyper-V | Microsoft...
  10. KDE apps on Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    KDE apps on Windows: Yea I have tried KDE apps in WSL which is not bad, failing that I just install some distro on an HD on my old machine.