Windows 10: Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX)

Discus and support Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX) in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks Has anybody got 1920 X 1080 resolution to work on any "Sensible" --i.e commonly used Linux distros as a VM on a Windows Host whether VBOX,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jun 13, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX)

Hi folks

Has anybody got 1920 X 1080 resolution to work on any "Sensible" --i.e commonly used Linux distros as a VM on a Windows Host whether VBOX, VMWare or even HYPER-V is used as the virtualisation software.

Seems the problem is now most Linux modern distros are using Wayland for the "windowing" manager (the X-Server) whereas formerly they were using X11 / XORG. So changing the config of those files won't work or using the XRANDR command also won't work (Wayland doesn't use that).

(Unrelated but a similar problem with the new X-Server system is the inabilty to logon to a full Linux graphical GUI desktop remotely -with X11/XORG there wasn't a problem connecting remotely to a Linux graphical desktop GUI -- now it doesn't work although you might be lucky enough to logon with SSH and run one or two graphical apps starting from the console).

I tried an old distro (CENTOS rel 7 with a very old kernel -- around 4.0 or so) ) which uses XORG and the 1920 X 1080 resolution worked -- but that's a really old distro !!!

Windows VM's are fine on both Linux and Windows hosts using any VM package but VMWare even on a Linux Host running another Linux VM still has problems with 1920 X 1080 resolution.

Any ideas any one !!!

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 13, 2020
  2. jjwong1 Win User

1920 X 1080 is not on recommended resolution list

my monitor has 1920 X 1080 resolution, but 1920 X 1080 is not on recommended resolution list. how can I get 1920 X 1080 resolution listed?

jjwong1, Jun 13, 2020
  3. tpot4 Win User
    Hyper-V, Windows 10 guest VM, console resolution limit 1920 x 1080

I have a Windows 10 (10.0.18362) Hyper-V host and a windows 10 (10.0.18363) guest VM.
    The guest is a Generation 2 enhanced VM.

It would appear that the recommended way to connect to the guest is via RDP.
    Unfortunately I can't use this method, I need to connect to the console.
    The reason is because I have a VPN client that won't run when you connect via RDP.

My issue is this: the console uses a video driver (hypervideo.sys) that has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1080 and I would like to use a much higher resolution on my 4K monitor.

Is there an alternative video driver that I can use that will allow a higher resolution than 1920 x 1080?

tpot4, Jun 13, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

VMware Workstation and Hyper-V on same machine

Hi folks

e.g with KVM/QEMU for VM's -- I have the video choice resolution of pretty well anything available the monitor in conjunction with the graphics card is capable of delivering.

In this case for the VM I have passed thru hardware video card to a separate a monitor with maximum 1920 X 1080 -- working perfectly. (So one Video card and Monitor for Host another for the VM I'm testing).

Windows VM's in full screen also use whole screen properly too. I think also lack of hardware passthru on VMWare rather reduces its usefulness -- HYPER-V is better here but I just can't get anything like the performance using Windows Host and HYPER-V that I can with KVM/QEMU - and the keyboard / mouse always seem "syrupy or laggy" on HYPER-V.

Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX) [​IMG]

With a Windows VM all possible modes are shown -- so theoretically even better

Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX) [​IMG]

Why does vmware on non windows VM's miss 1920 X 1080 !!!

I think same is true with HYPER-V for Non Windows VM's (i.e no 1920 X 1080).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

1. Linux VMs on Windows no 1920 X 1080 resolution (HYPER-V, VMWare,VBOX) - Similar Threads - Linux VMs 1920

2. VMWare 15.5.6 fixes 1920 X 1080 resolution on Linux VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    VMWare 15.5.6 fixes 1920 X 1080 resolution on Linux VM's: Hi there On some Linux distros as VM's it's been impossible to get standard 16:9 full HD (1920 X 1080p) video resolution. Seems to be properly working again now after the latest (VMware) update. Fedora 32 VM under Host W10 build 331 [img] Cheers jimbo 159744
  3. Hyper-V, Windows 10 guest VM, console resolution limit 1920 x 1080

Hyper-V, Windows 10 guest VM, console resolution limit 1920 x 1080: I have a Windows 10 (10.0.18362) Hyper-V host and a windows 10 (10.0.18363) guest VM. The guest is a Generation 2 enhanced VM. It would appear that the recommended way to connect to the guest is via RDP. Unfortunately I can't use this method, I need to connect to the...
  4. HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently

HYPER-V and VMWare / VBOX concurrently: Hi Windows Gurus I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why Windows can't run VMWare and HYPER-V concurrently while VBOX seems to get indeterminate results -- some say it works others say it just hangs. I've messed around quite a lot with the QEMU/KVM equivalent Hypervisor and...
  5. Loss of 1920 x 1080 resolution with version1803

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Loss of 1920 x 1080 resolution with version1803: When Windows Update installed Version 1803 on two of my machines everything went along well until it got to actually opening Windows. I got a "Mode Not Supported. The resolution is not supported on this TV. Please change the resolution." on my Samsung display/TV. Under...
  6. Hyper-V forgets my VMs

Hyper-V forgets my VMs: Ok on build 16288, but happened on earlier builds - when I reboot my laptop, Hyper-V keeps forgetting my VMs saying I have noinstalled. Only takes a couple of minutes to restore them but a PITA. I am going to try and unistall Hyper-V and reinstall to see if that fixes...
  7. Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem

Using linux mint in hyper-v resolution problem: I installed Linux-Mint in a gen 1 hyper-v session, and it installed fine. My main issue is that it setups up in an odd screen size and requires scroll bars. I go to display settings and it say laptop 12xx x 8xx (4:3) resolution, and no option to select 1366x768. I...
  8. Identifying VMs in Hyper-V

Identifying VMs in Hyper-V: Hi does anybody know how to tell what Hyper-V VM is connected to which /vhdx file ? It is all a bit of a mess now. I am guessing the only valid ones are the large datafiles? cheers [img] 84958
  9. Ubuntu missing 1920 X 1080 resolution in vmware - How to fix

Ubuntu missing 1920 X 1080 resolution in vmware - How to fix: Hi folks Running Ubuntu (or various derivatives of it such as kbuntu etc) in a VM standard HD resolution 1920 X 1080 is missing. To fix : sudo apt-get install open-vm-tools-desktop Cheers jimbo 107061
  10. Hyper V or VMWare?

Hyper V or VMWare?: While not an expert, I am fairly familiar with VMWare. I know very little about Hyper V, but have watched @Kari videos about it. I know VMWare is easier to set up and there are some features easier to use in VMWare. What I am asking is what are the advantages/disadvantages...