Windows 10: Linux VM's -- RAW HDD's - which native file system to use

Discus and support Linux VM's -- RAW HDD's - which native file system to use in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks just wondering if any performance gurus out there using Linux VM's with physical HDD's / SSD's have done any analysis on which file system(s)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, May 28, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux VM's -- RAW HDD's - which native file system to use

Hi folks
    just wondering if any performance gurus out there using Linux VM's with physical HDD's / SSD's have done any analysis on which file system(s) should they use for maximum Disk performance --- I'm interested when the Physical disk(s) is /are used rather than using "Virtual Disks".

I've basically narrowed the choices to EXT4, XFS and BTRFS.
    I'm leaning towards BTRFS as it seems to handle loads of smaller files better than the other two (I've around 150,000 music tracks - probably the largest size is around 600 Mb and is also good with RAID / Pooled volumes (LVM etc) . EXT4 is a bit long in the tooth these days so journalling probably isn't any good in it, and XFS seems fine for large files, RAID etc

Any volunteers -- anyone. I think the best way to get near native performance from a VM is to pass thru as much hardware as possible to the VM and use the appropriate GUEST OS drivers etc which is why I'm interested in the performance of these file systems.
    and have to supply a load more users so I want to test on a VM the best configuration for these things before I do it "for real".

Cheers
    jimbo.

:)

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks
    just wondering if any performance gurus out there using Linux VM's with physical HDD's / SSD's have done any analysis on which file system(s) should they use for maximum Disk performance --- I'm interested when the Physical disk(s) is /are used rather than using "Virtual Disks".

I've basically narrowed the choices to EXT4, XFS and BTRFS.
    I'm leaning towards BTRFS as it seems to handle loads of smaller files better than the other two (I've around 150,000 music tracks - probably the largest size is around 600 Mb and is also good with RAID / Pooled volumes (LVM etc) . EXT4 is a bit long in the tooth these days so journalling probably isn't any good in it, and XFS seems fine for large files, RAID etc

Any volunteers -- anyone. I think the best way to get near native performance from a VM is to pass thru as much hardware as possible to the VM and use the appropriate GUEST OS drivers etc which is why I'm interested in the performance of these file systems.
    and have to supply a load more users so I want to test on a VM the best configuration for these things before I do it "for real".

Cheers
    jimbo.

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Pass Native file systems to GUEST OS's for better I/O

Hi folks

sometimes when running VM's - especially as servers (nothing wrong in using a VM as a server) you will considerably improve I/O throughput if you use the native file system for the OS instead of using Virtual HDD's.

For instance if you run Windows Guests on a Linux host in the classical way with virtual HDD's the I/O has to handle both the vm hdd and the Windows file handler (ntfs-3g in Linux --which mounts the fuse (windows ntfs handler) in the kernel).

Similarly for Linux guests running on Windows hosts .

Attaching external HDD's to the VM is no problem as these can be attached with native file systems in the usual way.

The problem is with internal HDD's.

You need to allocate the WHOLE disk and in the VM setup specify it as a RAW HDD. That way Windows etc won't complain if it sees an HDD with a foreign file system on it or ask you to re-format it every time you re-boot the HOST system.

On the Guest just handle the HDD in the usual way e.g if Linux guest just mount the device or with Windows the HDD should be recognized as soon as the VM is powered on.

This should beef up your I/O on VM's quite considerably. Note use this for DATA. Keep the guest OS itself on a Virtual disk - and an SSD is the best place for this.

The 3 main sets of Vm software people use on these forums (VMware, vbox and Hyper-V) all allow for RAW HDD pass through to the guest.

If you can run the VM on an SSD (the OS part) then so much the better too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

Hi there

I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host.

However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to the VM as the Windows HOST rejects the HDD wanting me to format it !!. There's 2.7 TB of media files on it - I want to test running media server in a VM.

Anybody know how to bypass the Windows nag prompt about the HDD and be able to attach it direct to the VM.

(The other way round is no problem -- never a problem loading NTFS HDD's on to Linux machines -- however the NTFS file system is SLOW compared with XFS -- on USB3 device on Native windows transfer rate of 1 TB of files from fast NTFS HDD to NTFS USB3 device is max 82 Mib/s - average for whole transfer. On same machine with Native Linux and XFS to XFS (using same HDD's and USB 3 port avg speed is 350 mib/s !! -- HUGE difference !!!).

Note I have to have a Windows Host for this --I know I could run Linux VM's from a Linux Host but in this case I do have to use a Windows Host as that will be the destination system at the end of testing.

BTW I'm running VMWARE workstation 12.1 on W10 Pro Host.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Linux VM's -- RAW HDD's - which native file system to use - Similar Threads - Linux VM's RAW

2. HDD file recovery from RAW

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD file recovery from RAW: hello, I am trying to find a way of retrieving files from a laptop HDD that appears to have changed to RAW? it doesn't show up on computer management on a working pc using an adapter. I have attached a picture in command prompt in the hope that someone can let me know what...
  3. HDD file recovery from RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    HDD file recovery from RAW: hello, I am trying to find a way of retrieving files from a laptop HDD that appears to have changed to RAW? it doesn't show up on computer management on a working pc using an adapter. I have attached a picture in command prompt in the hope that someone can let me know what...
  4. HDD file recovery from RAW

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. USB File System is RAW

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB File System is RAW: Dear Microsof Community please help me with my problem. My USB OTG suddenly got an error saying "you need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it" I tried using EaseUs, but other than that I did not try anymore 3rd party application, since majority of them has to...
  6. Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Esxi users -- using RAW (physical ) disks in VM's: Hi folks those of you who are trying / using Esxi then it;s possible to pass thru (or attach) physical RAW disks to your VM's - so you can attach existing Windows (NTFS) or Linux formatted disks and also RAID configured arrays as RAW disks. For software RAID attach the...
  7. The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

in Windows 10 News
    The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK is a useful tool when you need to repair bad or corrupt sectors of your hard disk. But at times, when trying to run this Disk Checking tool you may see an error message – The type of the [...] This post The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is...
  8. Can I use the same Win10 license to install native AND as a VM under Linux?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can I use the same Win10 license to install native AND as a VM under Linux?: My wife uses Windows for everything. I like linux, but need Windows for gaming. I have a copy of Win10 installed natively. I want to experiment with running games on a Win10 virtual machine under Linux. The enterprise evaluation copy I'm using as a VM now has already expired...
  9. Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host)

Linux - quick way to repair file system (VM or host): Hi there Anybody running various flavours of Linux out there whether as VM's or HOST - it seems to me that the most resilient file system is XFS. On the surprisingly very rare occasions if it breaks ( and when it did it was my fault --"User error" !!) it's easy enough to...
  10. @KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM

@KARI access Linux HDD's in HYPER-V VM: Hi there particularly @Kari. I'm playing around now with HYPER-V. I want to access 1 X 9 TB and 1 X 7 TB Linux internal HDD's from a HYPER-V VM (Centos 7). I'm running HOST W10 pro x-64. I've taken the two HDD's offline to the HOST but can't seem to get the VM to...