Windows 10: Linux / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI

Discus and support Linux / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi folks a number of you use Linux VM's (and some probably as hosts too). If you have HDMI connections to a sound enabled monitor sometimes it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Sep 7, 2019.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Linux / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI

Hi folks
    a number of you use Linux VM's (and some probably as hosts too).

If you have HDMI connections to a sound enabled monitor sometimes it's annoying as the sound (when working) still goes by default through the internal speakers --especially on a Laptop. This also is a problem if you want to get a Windows VM on a Linux Host to have sound. -- Note I'm using VMWare here.

However I've found with a slew of Linux distros whether as a VM on windows or as a Host -- you need to set up the sound hardware to use HDMI 2 -- why I haven't a clue but it always seems to do the trick -- just select the option with ONLY HDMI 2

click also the 2 boxes as shown in my screenshot if it appears on your audio configuration panel.

as per :

Linux  / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI [​IMG]

works on Fedora, opensuse, archlinux, manjaro, centos.

ensure sound mixer installed of course.

Now Windows VM's on host Linux have perfect sound as well as the other way around. Blu tooth shouldn't be effected by this of course.

With the HDMI sound via the monitor you can then of course route the HDMI sound from the monitor to external speakers or whatever via the spif out (optical) or analog out. Remember of course that using HDMI sound will switch off if you share the monitor via say KVM switch to another computer and switch the display to the other computer.

Cheers

jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Sep 7, 2019
  2. Xylee Del Win User

Hdmi sound not working

Hi Peter,

One possible reason why the HDMI sound does not work is due to the conflicts with the playback settings. For us to help you make the HDMI sound to work, we suggest that you answer the following questions for further research:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer?
    • What is the current build and version of your Windows 10?
    • Have you tried to download and install the most updated sound and display driver of your computer?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps on this
    article
    as our initial troubleshooting and see if there will be any changes on the HDMI sound.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Xylee Del, Sep 7, 2019
  3. no sound through hdmi to tv

Hi,

The HDMI might not be set as default. To set this as default please follow these steps:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Select Hardware and Sound.
    • Choose Sound.
    • Select Change system sounds.
    • Click Playback.
    • Then select the device.
    • At the bottom, click Set Default.
    • Click Apply and OK.

If the troubleshooting steps above did not work for you, try changing a different HDMI cable.

Keep us updated with the result.

Robert Caw, Sep 7, 2019
  4. kevfas Win User

no sound through hdmi to tv

this doesn't work there are no devices showing only the speakers there are none hidden or disabled

kevfas, Sep 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Linux / Windows VM's and sound via HDMI - Similar Threads - Linux VM's sound

2. Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI: Hi y'all,So, my Dell Laptop seems to "forget" it is connected FOR SOUND to my TV, via HDMI. Oh, the visual side of HDMI is perfect, and the wireless keyboard and mouse operate the laptop via the TV perfectly...from the comfort of the sofa, but when I play any audio, it STILL...
  3. Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI: Hi y'all,So, my Dell Laptop seems to "forget" it is connected FOR SOUND to my TV, via HDMI. Oh, the visual side of HDMI is perfect, and the wireless keyboard and mouse operate the laptop via the TV perfectly...from the comfort of the sofa, but when I play any audio, it STILL...
  4. Laptop forgets it's connected FOR SOUND via HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Activation in a VM, Host OS Linux: I have a Dell system that came pre-installed with Windows.I have replaced my host OS with Linux, and I wish to run Windows in a VM. I downloaded a Windows image from Microsoft, but it is expiring. The box does not have a license key printed on it, and the VM does not detect...
  6. Suddenly have no sound via HDMI + screen flickering

Suddenly have no sound via HDMI + screen flickering: I installed some new software for a CS class the other day: Docker, which also required Linux WSL subsystem; and Windows powershell. As soon as I installed these programs, my audio stopped working, which leads me to believe they some how caused this issue. I tried...
  7. Can't get surround sound via HDMI

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't get surround sound via HDMI: hey. My HDMI plug to LG TV LGTV EDID only 2ch. there is any way to passthrough 5.1? even if i'm change in game settings to 5.1 i'm getting only stereo. submitted by /u/Shadowshoot [link] [comments]...
  8. HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    HYPER-V LINUX VM with sound: Hi folks trying an experiment I hadn't thought of before Going through some old junk I found a small mini USB sound and Mic adapter. Tested it on a Native CENTOS machine (the one with the radeon GPU where I couldn't get sound working in any case) Worked fine -- hardware...
  9. Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Windows HOST, attach Linux external USB to Linux VM: Hi there I usually run a LINUX HOST for testing Windows VM's - but I need to test some new releases of various Linux distros so I've created some VM's --easy enough and running them on a Windows Host. However I can't attach a USB drive with a Linux file system (XFS) to...
  10. Help please, No sound via HDMI to ASUS Monitor?

Help please, No sound via HDMI to ASUS Monitor?: My problem is that when I connect my Motherboard to my ASUS VS247HR 23.6 Monitor via HDMI, I get display/video output fine but no sound through its speakers. Device Manager Screenshot: [img] Hardware and Sound: [img] System Specs: Windows 10 Pro...