Windows 10: List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.

Discus and support List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; TagSpace adds string names inside of brackets that are used as tags. Eg: report[jane pending].pdf. "jane" and “pending” are used as tags to find the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JerryDe La Cruz1, Sep 16, 2021.

1. List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.

TagSpace adds string names inside of brackets that are used as tags. Eg: report[jane pending].pdf. "jane" and “pending” are used as tags to find the file report.pdf. When using Win10 File Explorer to list the files in the folder containing report[jane pending].pdf, is there a syntax that can be used in the search box that will exclude listing any file with “[“ in the file name. "NOT [“ doesn't seem to work.

:)

JerryDe La Cruz1, Sep 16, 2021
  2. JeffCL Win User

Searching for a string within a filename in File Explorer

I want to search a folder for filenames that contain the word "Committee". When in File Explorer, I type "Committee" into the Search field and hit enter. It finds (highlights in yellow) files that start with "Committee" but not the ones where "Committee"
    is embedded in the file name. For example:

• "Committee-Mission-Roles-and-Responsibilities" = finds it and highlights "Committee" in yellow
    • "19510701ListClubCommitteesReportDirectorsBW" = Lists this file but does not highlight "Committee" in yellow
    • "20150526MinutesBoard" = Lists this file because the word "Committee" is in the text of the file.
    Is there a way to do a search that lists only filenames that contain the word "Committee"? I don't want files listed if the word "Committee" is not part of the filename.

Moved from ( Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage )

JeffCL, Sep 16, 2021
  3. Kari Win User
    How do I search for the % character

As the name says, special characters are used for various special purposes, for instance the % sign you mentioned is used to mark environment variables. You can try it yourself to see how it works:
    • Type %userprofile% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open your user folder
    • Type %windir% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open Windows folder
    • Type %localappdata% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open Users\Your_Username\Appdata\Local folder
    • Type %appdata% on File Explorer addessbar, hit Enter to open Users\Your_Username\Appdata\Roaming folder
    To search files and folders containing these special characters use filename:*X (filename followed by : and * plus the character you are searching) replacing X with actual character. For instance to find all files and folders with % sign in name, search for filename:*%.

To find all files and folders with string &Test in file / folder name search for filename:*&Test.

4. pjfarr Win User

List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.

Search syntax for "folders containing specific file types" ??

Thanks Lance. Most of that I know already. I was asking for syntax to specifically find folders containing a certain file type i.e. photos.

For instance a search string that would in effect request: "List all folders on drive D containing photos" or "List all folders on drive D containing videos" and have just the folders containing those files, not the files themselves, listed in the results.

pjfarr, Sep 16, 2021
Thema:

List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries.

1. List filenames that don't contain a specific character, File Explorer Search queries. - Similar Threads - List filenames don't

2. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  3. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer: I use ~<22 in File Explorer to search for images with filenames starting with '22' the year they were taken. Some images whose file names do not start with '22' are included in the result. They are of File Type 'Adobe Photoshop Image.22'Is there a way to prevent these...
  4. Inaccurate search for filenames in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis ""

Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis "": I understand that the parentheses "" and "" have special meaning in the File Explorer Search field, as do the asterisk "*" and question mark "?". There are also special condition words like "filename:", and "type:".Is there a page that describes ALL of these and what they...
  6. Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis ""

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis "": I understand that the parentheses "" and "" have special meaning in the File Explorer Search field, as do the asterisk "*" and question mark "?". There are also special condition words like "filename:", and "type:".Is there a page that describes ALL of these and what they...
  7. Using File Explorer, HOW do I search for a filename containing a left-parenthesis ""

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename

Sorting Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename: Is there a way to Sort Files within File Explorer by the last character in the filename. See below. Show all the "A"'s first and others last. File0001 File0001A File0002 File0002A File0003 File0001A...
  9. How do I search for a specific character in file explorer?

How do I search for a specific character in file explorer?: I found a folder that has thousands of numbered files and each number indicates something about the file. All the files have the same amount of numbers, 8 but I need to find all of the files that have a 5 as the 5th digit in the name. How do I go about searching for all the...
  10. Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer

Searching a document in containing a specific word from file explorer: I have to find a document(.docx format) containing a specific word by using the search options from the file explorer. eg: I wish to find a word containing the word "thank you" within my documents from file explorer. I have lots of document in that format on my PC. Anyone,...