Windows 10: List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back

Discus and support List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi, tenforum people. I am thinking it would be useful to make a list of those Apps that install Adware/Malware and the such and tend to hijack your... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by eLPuSHeR, Sep 18, 2015.

1. eLPuSHeR Win User

List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back

Hi, tenforum people.

I am thinking it would be useful to make a list of those Apps that install Adware/Malware and the such and tend to hijack your browser too even if you select Custom Installation and opt out of those "fantastic" offers. This even happens when downloading software from reputable sites.

I will start.

- ATubeCatcher. I think it only adds some entries to registry.
    - Songr (from Filehippo.com). This stupid software install a lot of crap down your throat, hijacks your browser homepage and or searching engine and add a gazillion entries to your registry. Might me hard to thoroughly get rid of it. Something from this package also triggered Windows Defender as mad and I even had to reboot the pc to get rid of it.
    - Daemon Tools. The well known software for mounting virtual drives also tries to install something.
    - Crap Cleaner. It tries to shove Google's Chrome down your throat. I know Chrome isn't malware but I hate it with passion.

I forgot to say that I do not use any of these, but I have installed them for a client's pc.

:)

eLPuSHeR, Sep 18, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Run DLL

Unfortunately, your computer was infected by the adware Arcade Twist. Your anti-malware application removed it, but some pieces of the adware were left behind.

Believe it or not, this can be a good thing. The less an anti-malware application interferes with the operating system, the better, so a good anti-malware application should only remove the parts of malware that are actually harmful to your computer.

The left behind part of Arcade Twist is trying to start with Windows - as adware wants to do - but because your anti-malware application removed the guts of the infection, the adware can't start because it's missing needed files like CATH~.dll.

Open Task Manager and go to the Startup tab. There you should see the leftover piece of adware. Prevent it from starting with Windows, and the message will go away.

BulldogXX, Sep 18, 2015
  3. Does Windows 10 Defender protect against junk and spam email?

Does Defender filter/scan your incoming mail? No.

Does Defender check for possible malware when you open an email or click on a link in an email or open an attachment? Yes, if all is well with your computer and especially if you're running Win10 Version 1607 & have enabled the PUA/PUP/adware option =>

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/defender-enable-pua-pup-adware-protection/

PA Bear - MS MVP, Sep 18, 2015
  4. List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back

Cluster Head, Sep 18, 2015
  5. eLPuSHeR Win User
    I think it will be the same for all installers that have OpenCandy bundled. Thanks for sharing. That's a nasty truckload of adware for an app dubbed "do not spy" LOL. *Cool

eLPuSHeR, Sep 18, 2015
  6. DavidE Win User
    I use CCleaner portable and never had a problem with unwanted junk.
    I think i've read the Slim installer is also clean.

I've never used the Slim, so i can't comment on it from personal use.
    I prefer portables whenever i can find them for a program i want.

The CCleaner builds page i download from:
    CCleaner - Builds

DavidE, Sep 18, 2015
  7. Edwin New Member
    Heck, even Adobe offers 'extra baggage'!

List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back [​IMG]

Edwin, Sep 18, 2015
  8. eLPuSHeR Win User

@DavidE: You are right. Piriform installers are mostly safe. And yes, CCleaner slim and portable builds don't have anything at all bundled into them. Even for the regular installer is quite easy to opt out these offers installation, so it's not a big issue.
    @Edwin. That reminds me that Java and most Online installers just do that. Sometimes it's easy to get a full fledged offline installer (like with Skype or Chrome), sometimes it isn't. Most online installers are just stubs for downloading the REAL INSTALLER. I hate that. They take advantage of it to offer some software nobody would probably want.

eLPuSHeR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. List of Apps that install Adware/Malware/PUPS behind your back - Similar Threads - List Apps install

2. Sticky Finger Virus or Adware or Malware

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sticky Finger Virus or Adware or Malware: How do I get rid of the "sticky finger" Virus, Adware or Malware that occurs every time I select a dialogue box? Anywhere that text can be inserted the cursor automatically generates a continuous string of the number 4 which prevents me from login and most options requiring a...
  3. PUP malware detected - is it legit?

PUP malware detected - is it legit?: Hi. I purchased a refurbished computer with Windows 10 Pro, Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363 installed. My anti-malware program keeps finding these two 'threats', which Google tells me are Windows related. Anyone know if they are legit and can be safely ignored, or should they...
  4. Computer infected with Trojan,Malware and Adware no icons

Computer infected with Trojan,Malware and Adware no icons: My computer has been infected with this virus TROJAN.PHISHING.ARK!eml Since it is lockdown in my country I am unable to use my PC. And I tried to enter my pc with the help of safe mode I am stuck at the password I have typed both my pin as well as password nothing works....
  5. adware and malware

adware and malware: The app (Package Tracking Pro) got downloaded into my Surface 3 pc from Spring Tech LTD and has made my Gmail account in windows inoperable. I uninstalled it but my mail does not sync and load anyway. Can you help me?...
  6. virus..adware..malware ???

virus..adware..malware ???: HELP...keep getting a pop up that says..."something went wrong with your extensions, you'll need to turn them on again"...ran antivirus program..malwarebyths...found nothing...
  7. Why AdWare protection , PUA ,and PUP protection are not enabled by default in windows...

Why AdWare protection , PUA ,and PUP protection are not enabled by default in windows...: I recently saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXALM70DfGI ( from britec09) , and he showed us in this video how to enable these protections , and now , why these protections are not enabled by default ? WD is a good antivirus , and i've hever had problems with it...
  8. Why does W10 FreeCell leave behind Adware?????

Why does W10 FreeCell leave behind Adware?????: I upgraded from W7 to W10 last July. I am an avid fan of Freecell. However, after leaving the game, I run SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and the report from that run will show anywhere from 2 to 70+ pieces of adware (see below). I know MS is now a big snoop (NSA anyone),...
  9. Adware and PUPs are getting nastier

Adware and PUPs are getting nastier: I've seen this at BleepingComputer and thought it may be interesting for wider audience ... Potentially unwanted programs or applications are considered adware by some folks and "just something that you have to pick up, if you want another application" by some time now....
  10. Advice on adware (or malware?)

Advice on adware (or malware?): Hi there folks My browsers are being hijacked every now and then, suddenly i have the homepages set as e.g. "ourluckysites.com", or something like funnysearch, all my browsers shortcuts suddenly lead me to other weird folders with copies of the browser inside (e.g.today my...