Windows 10: "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

Discus and support "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Ketchupp, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Ketchupp Win User

"Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight delay that renders it unusable (as a side note, in a real cockpit, you listen to yourself speak through the headset without any delay and it really makes a difference in usability). I'm also starting to get into karaoke on my den's PC but notice that the Listen to this Device also has a delay which sounds like trash in addition to my out-of-tune singing voice.

Is there a way to fix this?

:)

Ketchupp, Mar 4, 2021
  2. harrymc Win User

Delay audio for specific device

My personal opinion is that adding a delay to the computer audio is not a precise
    solution, for two reasons :

• There is no way that you can measure exactly the required delay
    • Such a delay will be confusing for everyday work with the computer.

I suggest instead using a software product that specializes in mixing audio
    and can solve the delay problem without introducing new problems.

An example product is the free
    VB-Audio VoiceMeeter Banana.

The
    VoiceMeeter Banana User Manual
    describes how to add an action via MACRO Buttons (page 29):

One of the programmable actions does a delay on the strip numbered i :

"Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays zwLNy.jpg

I have no experience with the product, but I believe that you could use
    this feature to introduce an audio delay.

harrymc, Mar 4, 2021
  3. Microphone playback delay

Hi, I just bought a new USB microphone for my windows 10 PC. It works fine, however, I'd like to listen to myself while I record. I've followed all the steps to listen to the microphone, but there's a pretty noticeable delay in the audio. How do I fix
    the delay? There's also no "levels" for the device I'm listening to it on. ( Gaming Headset)

Devany.Porter, Mar 4, 2021
  4. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Mar 4, 2021
Thema:

"Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

1. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays - Similar Threads - Listen device causes

2. Unacceptable

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unacceptable: I was attempting to call about an issue with SCOOBE, specifically that it delayed urgent work. Then after attempting to call support you discontinue all phone-based support for "the customers benefit." Use of my computer has been interrupted by promotional activities, on a...
  3. Audio Line In Listen Device Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio Line In Listen Device Issue: I am on Windows 11, running a stream setup with GOXLR. In order to have my audio route through my wireless headset I have to go into properties for line in and set the listen to device to my headset Astro A50. This works and I have no issue until I reset my PC. THE SETTINGS...
  4. Audio Line In Listen Device Issue

Audio Line In Listen Device Issue: I am on Windows 11, running a stream setup with GOXLR. In order to have my audio route through my wireless headset I have to go into properties for line in and set the listen to device to my headset Astro A50. This works and I have no issue until I reset my PC. THE SETTINGS...
  5. Missing Listen Tab on All Audio Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Listen Tab on All Audio Devices: I have a virtual audio cable that wasn't splitting properly and, when I went into the audio control panel, I found that none of my audio devices had the listen tab accessible to troubleshoot the problem. My computer is running Windows 11 21H2 and is current on updates, and...
  6. Missing Listen Tab on All Audio Devices

Missing Listen Tab on All Audio Devices: I have a virtual audio cable that wasn't splitting properly and, when I went into the audio control panel, I found that none of my audio devices had the listen tab accessible to troubleshoot the problem. My computer is running Windows 11 21H2 and is current on updates, and...
  7. "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Listen to this device" causes unacceptable audio delays: I wanted to setup a flight simulator and use a real headset for it but noticed that the Listen to this Device on my microphone comes with a slight delay that renders it unusable (as a side note, in a real cockpit, you listen to yourself speak through the headset without any...
  8. Listen to multiple audio devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Listen to multiple audio devices: I have two virtual audio cables to use to play music down a mic. I need help finding a setup where my mic is mixed in with the final output but i cant hear it and my music plays down the output but also my headphones. Any suggestions? im using vb audio if that helps...
  9. "listen to this device"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "listen to this device": I've been using a soundboard for a couple of days along with VB Audio Cable to play silly sound clips through game chat while I'm streaming. Today the feature "listen to this device" won't work, as you have the Virtual audio cable "listen" to the output of whatever you want...
  10. Audio Delay Between Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Delay Between Devices: Hey everyone, Got two Sprout Nomad V3 Speakers plugged in at the moment. One is plugged into the front I/O and the into the rear I/O. Both are working because I went into Stereo Mix and set the front jack to work when the rear jack is chosen. However, their is a delay on...