Windows 10: Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device

Discus and support Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use Line In to play audio through my PC speakers. I have the option selected to playback through Default Playback Device. Since the most recent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Terabitman, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device

I use Line In to play audio through my PC speakers. I have the option selected to playback through Default Playback Device. Since the most recent Windows build update when I switch the sound output from Speakers to Headphones, the Line In continues to play through Speakers. I have to go into the device Line In Properties, uncheck "Listen to this device" click Apply, then check Listen to this device again and hit OK. When I switch back to Speakers from Headphones, I have to do this again. How do I get Line In to automatically change to the selected playback device again?

:)

Terabitman, Nov 27, 2019
  2. Guest1 Win User

Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

Hi Alexander,

Please make sure that you've enabled the Listen to this device option for the Headset Earphone Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000. Follow these steps:

1. Right-click the speaker icon, then click
      Playback Devices.
    2. Right-click the Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, then click
      Properties.
      Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device 1a6f8db1-008a-4ef6-9d14-8fb78f446e24?upload=true.png
    3. Click the Listen tab and tick
      Listen to this device
      option.
    4. Click Apply, then
      OK

Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device 654ac176-b0c4-43da-a916-aebe854d6fca?upload=true.png

Once done, please try to switch between your playback devices and see if you can now listen to the audio when you switch to your headset earphone.

If you have additional questions, or if the issue persists after the troubleshooting steps above, please let me know by replying to this thread. This way, I'll get notified and respond back to you as soon as I can.

Regards.

Guest1, Nov 27, 2019
  3. Guest2 Win User
    Playback devices

Before I received the Creators update, plugging my headphones into the front jack socket did not automatically switch the default playback device from speakers to headphones. I had to go to the playback device menu and do this manually. Since the update, plugging in the headphones works exactly as it should but, oddly, the headphones no longer appear as an option in the playback menu. Any suggestion why?
    It has also been some considerable time since I was able to access the via hd console. Clicking on VIAAUD in Program Files has no effect whatsoever. Any views on this?

Guest2, Nov 27, 2019
  4. Guest3 Win User

Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device

Frequent switching of playback and recording devices

Windows 10 user for a bit and have been seeing this as an 'issue' for quite a few versions of Windows.

I have x3 recording and x2-3 playback devices installed.

Recording

• Logitech Webcam (USB)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Blue Yeti Pro (USB)
    Playback

• Bose Speakers (Speaker port on Dell touchscreen)
    • Plantronics Headset (USB)
    • Earbuds (headphones port - not always plugged in)
    Most are hardwired and one has a Bluetooth connection capability (Plantronics). I find myself often switching from one device to another, depending on the situation - recording, listening to music, taking a phone call, etc.

The current switching process is a bit cumbersome - right click the speaker in the taskbar, select playback or recording device and then picking whichever device. I find myself going thru this process x2-5 a day given whatever I am doing

It would seem to me that an app or icon / button selector would be ideal. Anyone aware of an app or device that might accommodate my need?

Guest3, Nov 27, 2019
Thema:

Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device

1. Listen to This Device is not switching when I change the Playback device - Similar Threads - Listen Device switching

2. How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to listen to Microphone through a Playback Device on Windows 10: Windows 10 allows PC users to listen to a portable music player or other device connected to the microphone jack through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. In this post, we will show you how to listen to microphone through a Playback...
  3. "listen to this device"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "listen to this device": I've been using a soundboard for a couple of days along with VB Audio Cable to play silly sound clips through game chat while I'm streaming. Today the feature "listen to this device" won't work, as you have the Virtual audio cable "listen" to the output of whatever you want...
  4. Switching apps to different playback devices

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching apps to different playback devices: So Adobe Premiere Pro is currently outputting sound to speakers, how do I make it output to my headphones? I have tried Settings>System>Sound>App Volume Devices Preferences but it does not work. I also do not want to download other apps....
  5. Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Listen to this device not directly changing after switching default sound device: Is there an option to let it switch in real time? Only solution atm is to disable and re-enable listening or change the target device every single time. I'd like this feature because I only need the audio of my browser to go through virtual audio cable and pass it on to...
  6. unable to listen to device through playback settings

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    unable to listen to device through playback settings: So about a month ago i updated my sound drivers - and ever since then i have been unable to listen to my mic through the playback settings, i can listen to it through the record/mic settings but then there is a lag. I can't even back up to the point prior the update. How can...
  7. Shortcut to change listening device

Shortcut to change listening device: On my System I use an Virtual audio cable as my default audio device so I select my actual output device as the listening device of the input of the VAC. I do this because some programs and games I use can't switch the audio device once it has started, therfore the VAC is...
  8. Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Switching between "playback device" doesn't switch.: Hello there, My Surface Pro 4 is unable to switch between the 3 various output audio devices as shown below. For example, audio would be playing through "Speakers (Surface Dock)" then when I switch to "Headset Earphone (4- Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000)", the audio...
  9. Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows: How to: Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows How to Listen to Microphone through a Playback Device in Windows If you like, you can listen to your microphone through a selected playback device such as your computer speakers or headphone. You can...
  10. Playback device switch automation

Playback device switch automation: How can I set my preferences to switch playback device if one is not available, then also if another device does become available (computer recognizes it as being on) then switch back. Hotkeys are ok too, Thanks! 91434