Windows 10: Little help for an old guy upgrading his PC

Discus and support Little help for an old guy upgrading his PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yes, i'm a pathetic old guy living on social security trying to make my old PC allow me to play current games without starving. Seriously, i have 8GB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hepme, Jun 22, 2021.

1. hepme Win User

Little help for an old guy upgrading his PC

Yes, i'm a pathetic old guy living on social security trying to make my old PC allow me to play current games without starving. Seriously, i have 8GB ram and need to double that and a old CPU that needs upgrading too. I DO realize it would be best to buy a whole new PC but like i said, i live on a super tight budget, and as old as my PC is, much better CPU would still vbe old tech and therefore fairly cheap. Same with the ram. I can install the stuff. I have installed CPU's before and done all the heatsink grease stuff. But i'm capable of it not because i know a lot about PC hardware but i have good logic and can read. But what i have a hard time with is understanding specs and therefore have a hard time determining what to buy that will work with my motherboard. So i am asking if anyone would be kind enough to link me to 16GB ram and a CPU that will be as much of an upgrade as is possible on this board without leaving me eating potatoes for 6 months. In other words, as cheap as possible while still being a decent upgrade. Thanks in advance. I have windows 10, cpu is intel core i5 760 and board is this one... GA-P55A-UD3 (rev. 2.0) Gallery | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. By the way, as it is right now my graphics card does ok but my ram and CPU are the bottleneck and it actually runs a lot of well optomized recent games just fine. But a few are too laggy and i'm sure a CPU upgrade and double ram will help a lot. Just need to make it last a couple years more till i can save enough for a new PC.

:)

hepme, Jun 22, 2021

2. Unlink an old android phone from my pc

I go thru the suggested steps: Start - Settings - Phone - Unlink this PC.

When I first open the "your phone" screen the old phone is listed. Not sure if the phone listed is suppose to be selectable or not, but my is not. When I select "Unlink this PC" the phone listed is removed. When I select "Add Phone" the old phone still
    shows. I have removed the old phone from my Microsoft Account. I have rebooted after unlink this pc but I still cannot remove my old phone.

LostSailorPO1, Jun 22, 2021
  3. Sasqui Win User
    It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas (& Upgrade!)

Dear Santa,

I want to upgrade my primary PC this year, my MB/CPU is almost 5 years old now, and I've got the upgrade itch.

It's going to be built around an unlocked Ivy Bridge CPU, namely the 3770k

But first, I've got a few questions for you:

• What chipsets support that CPU? I think the X79 and X77?
    • Is the 3770k going to be replaced with a better model, better stepping, etc in 2012 or early 2013?
    Oh and is the world going to end in Dec 2012?

Thx,
    Little Johnny

Sasqui, Jun 22, 2021
  4. Little help for an old guy upgrading his PC

PC Build Steps

Ok just because I like steps i am going to create some steps. Please give me the stamp of approval/disapproval
    • Install system in case
      • Remember to connect SSD and optical to same SATA ports on motherboard
    • Turn on PC
    • setup HDD
    • run blend test in prime95 for 30-60 min
      • run realtemp at the same time
    • While in Prime95 test
      • if CPU goes above 70c in RealTemp, I have a leaky CPU
      • if my system locks up or blue screens, there is an instability in the system somewhere
      • if my system does not lock up or blue screen, my CPU is not damaged and I am in the clear!
    What do you guys think??

anandsap123, Jun 22, 2021
Thema:

Little help for an old guy upgrading his PC

1. Little help for an old guy upgrading his PC - Similar Threads - Little help old

2. Old Guy Needs Help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Old Guy Needs Help: I purchased a new computer for my wife's use. I went through set up but when done it is set up as my computer with Microsoft 365 Office, all the One Drive files etc. The log on is mine even though I set it up with my wife's name. I was thinking of trying a reset without...
  3. Old Guy Needs Help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Old Guy Needs Help: I purchased a new computer for my wife's use. I went through set up but when done it is set up as my computer with Microsoft 365 Office, all the One Drive files etc. The log on is mine even though I set it up with my wife's name. I was thinking of trying a reset without...
  4. Hi guys! Can I have a little help with this one???

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hi guys! Can I have a little help with this one???: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/LeungW586 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mjy3n1/hi_guys_can_i_have_a_little_help_with_this_one/
  5. a little help

a little help: Is it possible for me to delete applications from my computer without admin rights? submitted by /u/UrM8Ash [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ipci7x/a_little_help/
  6. little help guys, windows defender not showing?

little help guys, windows defender not showing?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/theretardfucker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/id59mt/little_help_guys_windows_defender_not_showing/
  7. A little help?

A little help?: I need help with my Windows 10. Every time I shutdown or restart, all my files dissapear. If anyone knows how to solve this, help would be MUCH appreciated. submitted by /u/Ianishere00 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hwq9z4/a_little_help/
  8. Help guys

Help guys: Guys help i have been facing an issue on my laptop which is windows 10 Dont know English much but i can explain So my laptop is Hp windows 10 and its about 1 year old I was facing issue of automatically deleting files just by clicking over files or softwares or folders and...
  9. A little help

A little help: [ATTACH] So, my native resolution is 1600x900, and when I turned on the Pc it was all bugged, and now the scale resolution is 1600x1200, higher than native. how do I fix it?...
  10. A Little Help . . .

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A Little Help . . .: This computer was totally un-responsive! None of the shortcuts were working, whenever I clicked on them. I had to re-format. I had no choice! But I was able to get to OneDrive. No login and no password? It was just there? I did read about how to use it. So, I uploaded...