Windows 10: Live Tiles on desktop without opening the App--Possible or not

Discus and support Live Tiles on desktop without opening the App--Possible or not in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there Is it possible to simply have a Live Tile on the desktop without opening the entire app. I'd rather like to have say the DOW / FTSE indices... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Jul 19, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Live Tiles on desktop without opening the App--Possible or not

Hi there

Is it possible to simply have a Live Tile on the desktop without opening the entire app. I'd rather like to have say the DOW / FTSE indices updating on the desktop simply in a Tile --rather like the old W7 Gadgets.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jul 19, 2015
  2. Lord Baal Win User

Windows 10 live tiles

I know you can drag tile to the desktop.

But I want them to be live.

Like when I click on the start menu, it shows me the weather in the live tile.

If I go and drag and drop that app to the desktop, it's not live.

I also want to be able to resize the tiles on the desktop. Not in the view when you right click it. Every tile should be independently resized without effecting the other icons.

Lord Baal, Jul 19, 2015
  3. calendar on my 950xl should show date in live tile.

Live tiles should give me useful information at a glance without having to open app. This is currently a dead tile.

StevenPeet, Jul 19, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I found that for the Mail/Calendar App to go live I had to use them first. Also that applied to The Weather Channel App.. So I'll venture a guess that it should apply to all of them.

I could be incorrect but you're going to have to try it out.

HTH
    Jeff

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2015
  5. Edwin New Member
    I read somewhere a while ago, there was talk of trying live tiles on the desktop.

Edwin, Jul 19, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    I hope that does happen. I would use that for sure.

BunnyJ, Jul 19, 2015
  7. There was talk about that early in 10's development but that didn't pan out, probably having duplicate live tiles seems to defeat the point of having them on Start to begin with.

You do need to open them up first to activate all the networking and background tasks. From there, they should stay alive. I don't know if Windows 10 has the same deal as Windows Phone in regards to tile refreshing but it doesn't seem like it.

Coke Robot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Live Tiles on desktop without opening the App--Possible or not - Similar Threads - Live Tiles desktop

2. Live Tiles

in Windows 10 Customization
    Live Tiles: Live tiles don't work when the screen set on a custom scale. Like 110%. Actually they work if the tile's size is medium, but if it is different than the medium it doesn't. Does anyone know how to fix it?...
  3. desktop tiles and apps

desktop tiles and apps: How do you move tiles and apps back to the left corner from the desktop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/desktop-tiles-and-apps/f461f552-d8d3-48ba-bd07-0dab9594026c
  4. Desktop / Live tiles

Desktop / Live tiles: Hi, my point is whether there will ever be a possibility to place Live Tiles on the desktop so that they stay there permanently in the same way as normal desktop icons (displaying their interactive content - a bit like windows 7 gadgets did) coz to me it would make much more...
  5. W10 App Live Tiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    W10 App Live Tiles: Hi. Did a clean install a week ago. All the live tiles work except the ones I like, MS weather and MS mail. Weather weirdly gives me live tile info for Washington DC even though I have updated my location and when I open weather it uses the correct location. I uninstalled...
  6. Live Tiles

Live Tiles: Sine the October update my live tiles have disappeared and the only ones present are the Windows default tiles. When I add my tiles and remove the ones I don't need and restart the default tiles return and mine disappear again. Also cannot connect to Microsoft store to try...
  7. Live tile on store app no longer ‘live’

Live tile on store app no longer ‘live’: So yesterday evening / early hours (UK) time the ms store app received an update. It all works ok in aftermath except on every single machine we own the tile pinned to start menu is no longer live. Just the store icon now. We tried turning live tile off and on several times...
  8. Live tile not opening

Live tile not opening: Having trouble with Live Tiles. I'm trying to open up Live News and weather tiles. I am able to open the start menu and see that they are updating with appropriate weather and top stories. When I try to open up the tile however, I am greeted by "An error occurred. Try...
  9. Live tiles

Live tiles: Just curious. If I open my start menu the live tiles like store, weather and news do their thing. Cycling through. But after a a while they stop updating and show a static picture or piece of info. Is that how it should be? I would prefer they were on a repeatable loop. Is...
  10. Unwanted live tiles on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Unwanted live tiles on desktop: I am an IT volunteer at a day centre and am working with a gentleman who has live tiles on the desktop which are unwanted. I can't seem to find the control panel if that is the way to rectify the problem. Does anyone know how to restore the desktop icons please? Many...