Windows 10: .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

Discus and support .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Bill_in_GA, Apr 19, 2020.

1. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with OneDrive. I currently have 11 sync issues in OneDrive, all with .lnk extensions. How do I choose to ignore those file types in OneDrive? A previous answer in the MS Community, created Dec 29, 2018 now closed for comments, says to delete those types of files. However, deleting desktop shortcuts and folder shortcuts to these programs in order to stop OneDrive sync issues makes my work more difficult, and logically does not make sense. So, is there a way in OneDrive to ignore specific file types or specific shortcuts, or do I need to delete all my shortcuts in order to stop sync issues in OneDrive? Thank you.

:)

Bill_in_GA, Apr 19, 2020
  2. KEDoran Win User

OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work

I have a client whom we set up OneDrive for on his old computer. We set it so his desktop files would sync to OneDrive. We then replaced his old computer with a new one. All of his old files appeared on his new desktop as expected.

It wasn't until 3 months later it was discovered that these "files" are not actually files, they are shortcut .lnk links. Weirdly, the shortcut address is the file on the desktop itself, which is where the file is/was supposed to be. But these shortcuts
    cannot be opened, and say that the address they are pointing to is invalid.

The files are .lnk shortcuts both on his physical computer and in OneDrive.

What the heck happened? Is there anything we can do to fix these files, or are the original files gone forever?

KEDoran, Apr 19, 2020
  3. simrick Win User
    OneDrive Perpetual Syncing Issue

Hi. There is an online backup program on here called IDrive. It runs once a day. AV is Defender.
    But once I removed the *.lnk files, the sync immediately completed. Like I said, Macrium have an option to make a shortcut on the desktop for the backup to run. When I deleted this as a test, the Desktop completed syncing. I then searched for any *.lnk files in Documents, deleted them, and syncing immediately completed. I don't understand why.

simrick, Apr 19, 2020
  4. Golden Win User

.lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

OneDrive Perpetual Syncing Issue

OK.

I have a wild suggestion : have you tried creating a new normal user, then testing the OneDrive sync with the new user profile? Im just guessing here.

Golden, Apr 19, 2020
Thema:

.lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive

1. .lnk shortcuts will not sync in OneDrive - Similar Threads - lnk shortcuts sync

2. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing: I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different network folders e g \\server\folder\subfolder are missing. Is there any setting to include .lnk shortcuts. I see some posts about...
  3. OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive sync of .lnk links to network folders missing: I have new computer setup and when using OneDrive personal on the new Windows 11, I see that a lot of my 100s of .lnk shortcuts to many different network folders e g \\server\folder\subfolder are missing. Is there any setting to include .lnk shortcuts. I see some posts about...
  4. Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied

in Windows 10 Support
    Shortcut lnk -- Access is denied: I need your help with this shortcut link that I try to correct but I didn't. What I did is to right-click the desktop shortcut link of Microsoft Train Simulator (outdated but still can run the game) to Properties of this link. Then I change the line in Target box to add "...
  5. .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .lnk shortcuts will not sync with OneDrive: I use multiple photography and video programs. I organize shortcuts to those files in folders for easy access. I also use desktop shortcuts to some of the more frequently used programs. Desktop shortcuts and shortcuts within folders with .lnk extensions will not sync with...
  6. Stop OneDrive from trying to sync two shortcuts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stop OneDrive from trying to sync two shortcuts: Hi, Somehow I did something to make OneDrive think I wanted it to sync my Chrome and Adobe Reader shortcuts from my desktop to my OneDrive site. It caused a sync error as you cannot do this. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to tell OneDrive to forget trying to sync...
  7. OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive syncing desktop files, turned them into .lnk files that no longer work: I have a client whom we set up OneDrive for on his old computer. We set it so his desktop files would sync to OneDrive. We then replaced his old computer with a new one. All of his old files appeared on his new desktop as expected. It wasn't until 3 months later it was...
  8. Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk)

in Cortana
    Cortana cannot find shortcut files (.lnk): My computer that is running Windows 10, desktop search or Cortana, cannot find the shortcut files (files with the extension .lnk). The problem occurred after the update. I hope to help....
  9. Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder

Looking for: Dead Shortcut/Link (.LNK) Finder: Does anyone know of an app/script to: 1. scan whole folder/drive 2. find all files ending in .lnk (i.e. shortcuts) 3. if the thing that it's pointing to does not exist -> alert me / flag it / delete it / etc I'll continue searching online, but I must not be using the...
  10. How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?

How to get back shortcut (LNK) icon?: Hi! I'm using MysticThumbs. There is possible to hide and show filetype icon overlay. I'm using also Stardock Fences - there's not this option. I have all set as show. Problem is that shortcut (LNK file) has not icon ovelay (small arrow) - but not everywhere - on desktop...