Windows 10: Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it?

Discus and support Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Folks, I'm trying to do some troubleshooting with my current install of Win10. I've been told that booting from a USB would narrow down my issue. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by iamc3k, Jan 9, 2020.

1. iamc3k Win User

Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it?

Folks,

I'm trying to do some troubleshooting with my current install of Win10. I've been told that booting from a USB would narrow down my issue.

I see tutorials about how to download the Win10 iso onto a USB to install it from that usb. That is NOT what I want to do.

I want to load a functioning copy of Win10 (not copied from my computer), onto a USB stick and then boot from that USB and have a "clean" Win10 run my machine.

How do I go about doing that?

Thanks,
    Ken

:)

iamc3k, Jan 9, 2020

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Jan 9, 2020
  3. Ar3s Win User
    HD 5870 Bios flash failed

mp3 player is in FAT / FAT32 format ?

Set Boot up first to the drive with hiren bootcd 10.4
    Done...

the options will pop out after loading the disc choose

boot cd

then the list (step by step)

Next...
    Dos....
    USB Drivers....
    Load USB Drivers with no386.....

Ask you load cd drivers. NO
    Ask you load SCSI drivers. NO
    Ask you anything NO.
    USB driver list comes out. 8 Don't choose anything else.

type
    C:\ (that should be your mp3 player if you did it right)

atiflash -i
    to list the adapters

atiflash -p -f 0 ???.bin

done.........

Ar3s, Jan 9, 2020
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

USB boot for bios update

Did the first step. It already doesn't work. Note the capacities and drive letters M:/N: The HP utility is about to format my raid-1 volume containing my 2 750gb drives. It thinks it's the usb stick. I can not select any other drives in the HP utility. My 512mb usb stick is U:.

Any other suggestions?

Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it? nonono-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Jan 9, 2020
Thema:

1. Load Win10 on a USB and boot from it? - Similar Threads - Load Win10 USB

2. win10 usb boot prob

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 usb boot prob: scenario : 1 formatted hd 240gig ready to receive win10 from usb 1 usb flash drive with bona fida win10pro for installation problem: boots to the 'generic' windows window...then...nothing no messages...nothing just the annoying 'generic' windows window would love a...
  3. Trying to install Win10 on PC that can't boot from USB.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to install Win10 on PC that can't boot from USB.: I am trying to install a fresh copy of Windows 10. The PC does not have a BIOS option to use a USB device to boot from (I have the most current BIOS version). I downloaded the Windows Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationTool20H2) and it will only make a singe ISO image that is...
  4. Repair Win10 by booting it with a USB

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Repair Win10 by booting it with a USB: I fail to repair Win10 on my Lenovo ThinkPad by booting it with a USB. I ran "sfc /scannow /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\windows", and the results show that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". After that, I clicked Startup Repair...
  5. Help, win10 installer won't boot from usb

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help, win10 installer won't boot from usb: Trying to boot a win 10 ver. 2004 (may 2020) installer from a USB and even tried booting from a DVD. It gets stuck before the installer opens, just a frozen screen with either the motherboard logo or the blue windows logo. Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H ver. 2.0 I have...
  6. Blue screen while booting from usb with win10

Blue screen while booting from usb with win10: Hello, I am trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC. It was installed before, but I decided to dual boot with Ubuntu and broke Windows on the process. I can use Ubuntu fine. I have a usb with win10 iso, I tried it on a different PC and the installer starts well, but on my PC...
  7. Problem Booting from USB in Win10 v1803 Build 17134

Problem Booting from USB in Win10 v1803 Build 17134: I maintain a rescue boot USB for the usual reasons. However I note that my old Dell XPS 8300 no longer shows the boot screen when it is booting so I can't press the F-key necessary to go to the boot menu to change the boot order or do a one-time boot from USB. All I get when...
  8. WIN10 failed installation: USB will not boot

WIN10 failed installation: USB will not boot: WIN10 failed installation: USB will not boot and start goes to a corrupted Win 10 installation. Access to change PC bios and UEFI settings not available. Dave M helped earlier,...
  9. Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD

Can't boot x64 Win10 setup from USB or DVD: Trying to do a clean install booting from DVD or USB created w Media Creation Tool: Windows 7 x86 and x64 boots from DVD or USB Windows 10 x86, boots from DVD or USB. Windows 10 x64, from DVD loads the blue window and then nothing more. Have to switch off/on to get out...
  10. Boot to safe mode from USB or bat for win10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot to safe mode from USB or bat for win10?: Win10 dose not seem to us F8 anymore dunno if it ever did and I hesitate to do a few hard reboots in a row at restart to get it to come up, so how in the heck do you get into safemode? 73735