Windows 10: Loading system image or external harddrive to new laptop

Discus and support Loading system image or external harddrive to new laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi community history- I admittedly do not know much about laptops. I had an old Asus laptop that lasted 6 years until it became very, very slow. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AprilHautaluoma, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Loading system image or external harddrive to new laptop

Hi community

history-

I admittedly do not know much about laptops. I had an old Asus laptop that lasted 6 years until it became very, very slow. I would have tried to salvage the speed but it was also in rough physical condition so I began hunting for an affordable laptop that would get me through my postgrad fall classes on a budget. Here I am now with a refurbished (Microsoft certified refurbishing co) Dell Latitude E7440 from Amazon that just came in the mail.

Now for the question: I knew enough to make a system image of my old laptop on an external TB harddrive, but am unsure of the best way to load it on to the Dell. Will loading it verbatim cause the slow processes of my Asus to load onto the Dell? Do I pick through and copy what I want piece by piece (I mostly want my paid apps like Office/Word, some documents and music). Is there a faster way to do this, such as selecting documents and apps in groups? Last of all, would a partition help me organize all of this and do I need to create one in the external harddrive?

Thank you in advance!

:)

AprilHautaluoma, Aug 20, 2019
  2. mdlpoker Win User

Restore Windows 10 System Image to new harddrive error 0x80042302

Good evening. My harddrive crashed, but I have a system image on another harddrive. I pit the new harddrive in and inserted the Windows 10 Recovery CD. When it starts the system restore, I get the following error message:

A Volume Shadow Copy Service component encountered an unexpected error. Check the application event log for more information. (0x80042302).

Can anyone help with this? I REALLY need to get this back up asap.

Thanks

Radio Guy

mdlpoker, Aug 20, 2019
  3. fdegrove Win User
    System Image Problem

Hi Nick,

No need to stress.
    Since the dl of the windows install media failed twice in a row already we are going to do as Bill suggests.
    No use wasting another day on it at this point.

Here is a description of the steps to follow:

- Connect the external drive that contains the Macrium images we made.

-Boot off of the Macrium rescue CD. Make the necessary changes in bios so booting from CD is the highest on the boot order priority list or use the machine's bootmenu (Fn key ? ) to select to boot off of CD.

- From within Macrium select restore. Browse for image 0_SysRes etc. and load it in Macrium.

- Select the drive to restore to: your c: drive. Make sure it is the correct drive. Only one internal drive should be connected at this point.

-Drag and drop the loaded backup image to the beginning of the C:\ partition. It must be fully at the left of the partition.

- Click restore and confirm.

- Once it has finished close Macrium. It will automatically reboot.

-Boot again off of the CD.

-Macrium loads and select restore again.

-Browse for and select 1_Windows from the backup drive. Select the same destination drive and drag and drop it right next to the small partition we just restored. Click restore, confirm the overwrite and let it finish.

-Again close Macrium and reboot once more off of the cd.

-In Macrium on the top left hand side there a menu option that reads something along these lines (I'll load it in a few minutes to verify and correct if necessary) : "Fix Windows boot problems".
    Click it.

-Let it finish and reboot off the main hard drive this time.

- Cross your fingers and hopefully Windows will start up.

I suggest not doing this immediately. I hope Bill will have a look at the suggested steps and correct any if need be.

Best, *Wink

fdegrove, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Loading system image or external harddrive to new laptop

System Image Problem

I'm getting a head start in case you get on early.

Can you post camera pics to your thread from your phone?

There will be steps later that require attention to detail and I'd feel better if I could see what's on your screen. I had to try the steps more than once when I tested the process and I'd like to avoid that on your machine.

Here's what I'd like to do for the Macrium Rescue steps later on in the process
    I'll post the the step, you'll post an picture of the Macrium screen,
    I'll echo same screen back if I see something that needs changing or I'll just say Go Ahead

When I confirm that the Macrium screen, you'll make any changes I've highlighted and THEN execute the step

Here's where you begin today's session, we'll get as far as we get and then pick up when you get back home.

Step 1: Safeguard the System Image by moving it to a new folder

1. Connect the Seagate exp drive

2. File Explorer: Navigate to the Seagate drive

3. Create a new Folder named 1_sysImage

4. Move WindowsImageBackup to 1_sysImage

Step 2: List the VHDs in the System Image

1. File Explorer: Navigate to 1_sysImage\WindowsImageBackup\machineName\Backup date-time

2. Press the Type column to sort by Type

3. Post a screen shot

Slartybart, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

Loading system image or external harddrive to new laptop

1. Loading system image or external harddrive to new laptop - Similar Threads - Loading system image

2. External Harddrive is locked

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Harddrive is locked: Hi Team, I have an external hardrive which is currently locked and inaccessible. I do not have the password or the recovery key saved with me. Tried looking for the recovery key but couldn't get it as I am using a new laptop now, since the old one laptop has been...
  3. External harddrive connection

External harddrive connection: I have connected my 4tb external hard drive to my laptop, but it does not appear in "this pc". It is connected and working, but I can't access it. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive-connection/90bbad1b-3610-4b99-a879-6aae1350a4be
  4. new harddrive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    new harddrive: Is it possible to move my win10 from an old drive to a new m.2 drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/new-harddrive/cd1e64b3-1c14-491a-b165-bd641ece0b32
  5. External Harddrive Issues

External Harddrive Issues: I just purchased a new ASUS laptop. Im going from a Macbook pro to windows 10. My external hard drive has worked on a windows laptop i had years ago (an ASUS also) and on my macbook without issue. When i plug my external hard drive into my laptop it makes the sounds that I’ve...
  6. Transferring photos from laptop to external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferring photos from laptop to external harddrive: How do I transfer the photos I currently have on my Photos library on my laptop to my external harddrive? There doesn't seem to be an option I can press that allows me to do this. Thank you....
  7. external harddrive

external harddrive: My computer recognizes the harddrive . States it is working properly but will not allow me to open it. What can I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-harddrive/0aba405c-3d6d-4a2d-afb4-771e92c416ed
  8. external harddrive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    external harddrive: HI ALL I NEED DESPERATE HELP IM PANICKING I DID SOMETHING WITH MY EXTERNAL HDD I TOOK SHARING OFF BY MISTAKE AND ITS LIKE MY LIFE ON THE HDD IT SAYS H; NOT ACCESSIBLE AND ACCESS DENIED HOW DO I FX IT...
  9. FileHistory - external HardDrives

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    FileHistory - external HardDrives: I try to use FileHistory to backup my files - photos. File History is set to external 3T HD As Back up folders I selected entire internal separate HD (Pictures(H:) H:\) Also all my personal files such as Documents etc are added to back up folders (default setting) I run...
  10. External Harddrive is not recognized by my laptop

External Harddrive is not recognized by my laptop: I have a Silicon Power Portable External Hard Drive Armor A60 Shockproof USB 3.0, that is not being recognized by my laptop computer. I actually have 2 of these. One is recognized fine no problem, the other is not recognized at all. It's like I have not even plugged it in....