Windows 10: Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

Discus and support Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I have an old PC on which I have installed a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 (Version 2004 OS Build 19041.450) while connected to my Microsoft... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by JLSchutt, Aug 22, 2020.

1. JLSchutt Win User

Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

I have an old PC on which I have installed a fresh copy of the latest Windows 10 (Version 2004 OS Build 19041.450) while connected to my Microsoft account, and I have run a utility to securely erase all unused space on the disk. I plan to donate or sell the PC, and I obviously don't want it to continue to access my MS account. Can I do the following?

1. Use SETTINGS to create and switch to a local account.

2. Log in to my account at account.microsoft.com and remove the PC.

Will my MS account then have no visibility to the new owner of the PC? If not, what is the recommended procedure?

:)

JLSchutt, Aug 22, 2020

2. Local account installation question

I'm fairly certain that Skip this step was available in 10.0.130 - the workaround in Step 20 (back button) is no longer required.

The currently known, as of 10.0.130, ways to create a Local account sign-in are
    • Skip this step at the MS account creation phase
    • No Internet connection during the install
    • static IP (post# 2 by Fragment) - New (to me anyway)

Slartybart, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Yaqub K Win User
    Local Account password changed to Online Account Password

Hi,

I suggest you to follow the steps on how to switch from Microsoft account to Local account:

• Click on search in taskbar and type account.
    • Click on Accounts.
    • Now, under Your account, click on Sign in with Local account instead.
    • Enter your Microsoft account password for confirmation and then follow the screen instruction.
    • Enter User name credentials for your the Local account and click OK.
    • Now, login to Local account.
    Hope it helps.

Yaqub K, Aug 22, 2020
  4. Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

Switch Back to Existing Local Account from Microsoft Account

Hi,

Thank you for posting your response in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern, and we in Community will try to help you in the best possible way we can.

I suggest that you follow the steps below and check if you can log into your computer using the Local Account.

• On the Search Bar type “User Account”.
      • On the right menu pane locate and click “Make changes to my account in this PC”.
      • Then locate and click on “Sign in With a Local Account instead”.
      • And follow on screen instructions.
    Hope this information is helpful.

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold

1. Local Account for Computer to be Donated or Sold - Similar Threads - Local Account Computer

2. Computer sold without activating windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer sold without activating windows.: I bought a laptop from Walmart but through a third party. The company has a history of selling computers with common issues including sending damaged, incompatible power cords and windows that have not been activated. My computer no longer boots up and I've troubleshooted all...
  3. Preparing to donate old computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Preparing to donate old computer: I have purchased a new computer and want to know if I clean delete all personal information from the older one, will it have any impact on the new computer?...
  4. Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?

in Windows 10 Support
    Donations: Is it possible to donate to Tenforums?: Hi all, This community has become a very important and integral part of my life. Knowing this, I feel like making a donation would be the right thing to do. I've asked this in the past, but I thought things may have changed. Thank you. 166524
  5. Donating PC

in Windows 10 Customization
    Donating PC: I plan to give away my PC, but want to remove all personal data before ding so, including the connection to OneDrive. Best way to do it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/donating-pc/118d7f87-1257-4007-8cb9-e9dc5d229bec
  6. Microsoft Account Windows 10 Delete MS Account and use Local so laptop can be sold on

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Account Windows 10 Delete MS Account and use Local so laptop can be sold on: If i delete a and switch to Local Account, will i be able to reinstall Windows and RE-ACTIVATE it without using my Microsoft Account details, just using the Licence key, this is a pre-installed version of Windows on a 1year old laptop....
  7. Sold My Old Computer - Unsure About Personal Accounts

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Sold My Old Computer - Unsure About Personal Accounts: I sold my old computer and I have manually deleted or uninstalled all programs and/or documents. I have also backed up my PC onto an external hard drive. I have a new computer and it seems that all or most of my previous programs and/or documents are there. My concern is...
  8. How to eliminate an equip that is going to be donated of an account

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to eliminate an equip that is going to be donated of an account: May I eliminate an SurfTab Wintron twin 10.1 from my Microsoft account in order to give this equipe to a friend. I bought this laptop/tablet with W10 incorporated, it is a w10 , it is therefore a W10 OEM. I would appreciate any help on topics on permissions and on thechnical...
  9. Computer boots to a local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Computer boots to a local account: My computer with win10 works fine for about 2 weeks then suddenly it boots to a local account to which I can't get out of. I've tried a few of the suggestions on the net but none work. I have to keep reinstalling win10 as my only solution. Why does it do this? Win 7 never did...
  10. Prep for Donating My Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Prep for Donating My Computer: What can I do to protect myself before donating my computer? *Smile 48195