Windows 10: Local account login changed to Microsoft Account so unable to log in

Discus and support Local account login changed to Microsoft Account so unable to log in in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; I would like help solving a mystery. I set up a new Dell Optiplex 3020 which shipped with Windows 10 Pro. I bypassed the option to set up the user... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by KakiKayMar, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Local account login changed to Microsoft Account so unable to log in

I would like help solving a mystery.
    I set up a new Dell Optiplex 3020 which shipped with Windows 10 Pro.
    I bypassed the option to set up the user with a Microsoft Account (The owner does not have a microsoft account and I did not create one at that time.) and set up a Local User Account, the owner's FirstName only, with no password for the owner of the computer.
    I also set up a Technical User local administrator account with a password "just in case." (I am glad I did.)
    I unchecked and turned off everything that had to do with the Cloud and sharing information with Microsoft.
    I installed the software, antivirus etc. including Windows Live Mail with an account with the ISP which the owner needed on the computer. I registered the computer using the owner's first and last names as well a registering the antivirus software account. In this process I restarted the computer several times with no problems logging back in with the local user account.
    The computer ran updates twice during the setup process.
    The next day the login screen was showing the owner's full name with the non-microsoft account e-mail address requiring a password for login. Since the owner did not have a Microsoft account nor a Microsoft account password logging in was not possible.
    I tried the e-mail password that was used in Windows Live Mail to log in and I tried no password at all. Neither one worked.
    To solve the log-in problem I logged in to Windows with the Technical User local account and password. At the Microsoft website I entered the non-Microsoft e-mail address and clicked "Forgot my password." I then "changed the password" which had never been and then used that password to log in to Windows 10.
    So, effectively I created an unwanted Microsoft account for the owner.
    Problem solved, right?
    However, the owner of the computer does not want to use a Microsoft Account, does not want to use the Cloud, does not want to be connected to Microsoft all the time, does not want to sync his information among several devices, but does want access to his computer.
    Here's my question: Does anyone know how to avoid Microsoft's over-handed method of changing a local account and requiring a Microsoft account; thereby making it impossible to access the Windows 10 operating system?
    Could it have been Windows Live Mail that caused the problem? Had I installed another e-mail program, ie. Outlook, would that have made a difference? Is there something which I could uncheck or turn off that would prevent this from happening again?
    I expect to be setting up many computers with Windows 10 local accounts and I want to avoid this problem in the future.
    Any insight you can offer will be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

:)

KakiKayMar, Oct 29, 2015

2. change my desktop password but not my microsoft password

You have to use a local account instead of your Microsoft account.

I am not using my pc now. So i am unable provide detailed steps.

EDITED:

Click your profile picture on start menu. Then click "Change account settings". In "Your info", Click "Sign in with a local account instead". Then it will Log you out. Now you can login with your
    local account.

It will keep your profile picture from your Microsoft Account. You can change that.

Abdullah Umar Naseef, Oct 29, 2015
  3. Can't Login With Local Administrator Account in Windows 10

Hi everyone.

In Win 8.1 Pro I was using the local administrator account. I even had the Windows Store with my Microsoft account logged in and I was still able to login with the local Administrator Account.

I updated to Win10 and I was still using the local administrator account. For installing a Windows Store App I logged into Windows Store with my Microsoft Account. Once I did that, I was unable to login in my PC with my local administrator account,
    just with the Microsoft Account.

I can't see the "Sign in with a local account instead" link in the "Accounts" settings. It seems that my local administrator account was merged with my local Administrator.

I have also tried restarting the PC and logging in Safe Mode, however my local Administrator account password is different and I don't know why it was changed or what has changed it. I think that it was changed when the MS account was merged with the
    local Administrator account.

I tried chaning the password of the Administrator account but I always got a message saying:

"The system is not authoritative for the specified account"

Can you suggest something that doesn't involve reinstalling Windows 10?

Thank you so much.

David Leonardo Tarazona, Oct 29, 2015
Thema:

Local account login changed to Microsoft Account so unable to log in

1. Local account login changed to Microsoft Account so unable to log in - Similar Threads - Local account login

2. Unable to change user account from local to Microsoft account even though logged into...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to change user account from local to Microsoft account even though logged into...: On one of my PCs with Windows 11 Pro, even though I am logged into my Microsoft account, when I type 'whoami' in a command prompt, it says I am <computer-name`>/local_admin. On all other machines, I get the correct user name as <computer-name>/<microsoft name>. I have looked...
  3. Unable to change user account from local to Microsoft account even though logged into...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to change user account from local to Microsoft account even though logged into...: On one of my PCs with Windows 11 Pro, even though I am logged into my Microsoft account, when I type 'whoami' in a command prompt, it says I am <computer-name`>/local_admin. On all other machines, I get the correct user name as <computer-name>/<microsoft name>. I have looked...
  4. I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 1? Change login from Local account to...

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 1? Change login from Local account to...: I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 10Change login from Local account Microsoft account ?It's the process of getting windows 10 to accept my Microsoft account; it asked for my Microsoft account password it would not accept the password even its the correct...
  5. I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 1? Change login from Local account to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 1? Change login from Local account to...: I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 10Change login from Local account Microsoft account ?It's the process of getting windows 10 to accept my Microsoft account; it asked for my Microsoft account password it would not accept the password even its the correct...
  6. I can't log in with my Microsoft account to windows 1? Change login from Local account to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Using my local account login information to log into a Microsoft account

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Using my local account login information to log into a Microsoft account: I have multiple windows 10 computers that were set up many years ago. When I originally set them up I used a local account instead of a Microsoft account. Somehow over time that account got linked to my Microsoft account and gives me the advantages of using additional...
  8. How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    How to connect Microsoft Account without changing local account login: Short version: How can I connect my Microsoft account to my windows account without it forcing significant account-wide changes, the most abhorrent of which is forcing a password or pin log-in? Long version: I hate the way that adding a Microsoft account hijacks my local...
  9. Created local account, but unable to login.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Created local account, but unable to login.: I am trying to create a local account on my Win10 Pro machine. I have gone through the various steps and have an account created, but I have no option to login to that account. I can see the user in Local Users and Groups (not disabled), but the name does NOT appear on the...
  10. Unable to convert Microsoft account to Local account

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Unable to convert Microsoft account to Local account: Hi, I accidentally trnafered my local user account on Windows 10 and signed in to a Microsoft account instead , I have tried to remove the Microsoft account and go back to a local but there is no option to and the account is a child account and there is no option in the...